Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about revenue earnings... (Read 141 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Question about revenue earnings...
11/09/16 at 16:58:40

I have often wondered how much revenue a automobile generates.
I can't find any study that gives any answer.
Maybe one of you might know  Grin

So, a car is made on the assembly line, but prior to that parts are made.
Those parts take employees, etc, they spend their earnings on food, etc.
Now the parts are to be assembled.
More employees earning money and spending.
Trucked, shipped to dealers.
Salespeople, etc, all associated with a car dealership all earn a living from the "car".
Now its sold, you buy gas, etc, service it, etc.

You keep it for so many years, sell it, and earn revenue selling it.

The new owners buys new stuff for it, service, repairs, etc.
all of these people spend that money on other things.

Repeat selling a car before it becomes scrap.

How much do you think that car contributed to our economy ( based on a mean average of car value ) ?

what I am trying to factor out is this, a $30,000.00 car generates how much more revenue over its life time?

does this make any sense?  Embarrassed  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question about revenue earnings...
Reply #1 - 11/09/16 at 17:46:50

If a car costs $40,000 and you consider $40,000 to be a typical wage for someone in manufacturing then a car generates one man year of work because money is the convenient means of exchanging labor and goods.  That man year is divided up among many people but it can't exceed the total.  At least that is the way I see it.

In the old days you could always figure as a rule of thumb that about half the cost of a manufactured product was material and the other half was labor and overhead including taxes.  Now of those materials that make up the half, they also follow the same rule, half material, half labor. And so it goes until you get down to the mining company and then a portion goes to the holder of the mineral rights.  Only one entity makes much money doing this, the government because they get to tax everything and everyone at every stage of every little nut and bolt and piece of mineral ore that goes into it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/09/16 at 18:37:48

It's synergistic.
Some parts are outsourced.
Shipping happens.
Every wage earner who made money by building the car
Buys stuff, helping to keep shops and restaurants and employees busy in their neighborhoods.

It's a brilliant question, one that I would like to see answered by more than one person. An economics professor, someone who has a business degree, heck, who knows who could get a different take on it?

Put a few alternators on it, a radiator, it got wrecked, put a fender on it, paint, tires , alignments, transmission,  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/10/16 at 03:58:30

And to make it even more meaningful (and complicated), maybe you should also consider the revenue from the fuel, tires, oil, replacement parts the car uses (and associated taxes), the license and insurance fees, the insurance, loan, shipping......and the ICEE you stop and buy on your drive home!

I have a feeling that the $ 40,000 car might well create $ 80,000 to $ 100,000 worth of revenue over it's lifetime.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 11/10/16 at 04:17:49

And, to complicate matters even further....

To make a particular brand of car sell at all, you'd probably have to factor advertising into the formula at some level.

And don't forget about the costs of writing and distributing the documentation (owner's manuals, tire warranties, SiriusXM radio instructions, etc).

And, car manufacturers have to pay those crash test dummies lots of money to keep sitting there taking all that abuse from side impact tests.

OH YEAH, and also there's the folks who apply that new car smell in some mystical fashion.   Grin

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/10/16 at 04:44:44

Yes, you guys got it....
That is what I am trying to figger out.

Let me try this anology:
I buy an apple seed for a dollar.
This is my first transaction of this endeavor.
A buck.
I buy a shovel, water bucket, etc, to plant it.
Through its early non producing years, tho not creating revenue, I still spend on it.
But, the first cost was a buck.
Now it matures and gives crop.
I hire help to harvest, etc.
We sell it at market, etc.
Everyone that helps move that apple to the point of consuming it, prospers from it, my buck....
It gives greater yields, more folk to move the crop to consumption, and they all spend that earnings on things they need.

One thing is needed to create this revenue stream, a commodity, not a scheme, something real and if agreed upon value.
Once that is established, it can almost become self sustainable as long as nothing is done to restrict its flow....

You see what I mean?

I would love to work up a number to see just what it is we are looking at  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/10/16 at 05:12:14

It would be very difficult to follow the revenue stream to the end(s), as the money would spread out like a drop of oil on a smooth lake.   It would start at the very beginning with the folks that build the buildings where the car is designed or create the materials that are used to build the car....and it go all the way through until the car is recycled as scrap.  Each and every person along the way would take a portion of that money and send it out to other places for food, clothing, housing, insurance, hobbies....and that money would then be spread out again to pay the expenses of those workers - it is an endless stream.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 11/10/16 at 05:30:30

Yes Dave, absolutely!
Love the drop of oil analogy, perfect!

Maybe a two prong chart, pre spending versus production spending and start our revenue stream there.
What I am trying to establish is that a revenue stream needs a real product as it root or foundation to create revenue.
As some already talked about the car producing revenue via taxes, insurance, etc, but that is not a real product of commodity but a scheme, like betting or gambling, you don't crash the car, which might include drinking at a bar then driving home, another business that benefitted off the car, so to speak Grin

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 11/10/16 at 07:01:48

In some seedy parts of town, the ladies of the night generate lots of revenue inside the cars too...let's not forget that in the equation  Shocked Shocked Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/10/16 at 07:13:05

A few years ago we had a seminar at our office, and one of the things that scared me was when he said that 80% of the US economy was "service".  That is frightening to me, as it means that only 20% of folks are actually building and selling something.  So 80% of the money is moving around providing haircuts, fingernails, massages, insurance, healthcare, banking, retail sales, lawn mowing, shipping, car repair...maybe even construction (I am not sure all that is included in the definition of service).....and only 20% of the economy is making a produce (growing food, building cars and trucks, building tools, making building products, etc.).

The US became prosperous during the industrial revolution by building products and exporting them to other countries, and we could do it well as we had natural resources available and motivated workers to build the products.  When the ability to utilize the natural resources economically is taken away, and when the factories are moved to other parts of the world and money stops flowing "into" the US.....how does the US stay economically productive?

A "service industry" economy reminds me of the following story:
A farmer had a horse in his field that was a bit neglected.  One day a neighbor stopped by and offered to buy the horse, and it was sold to him for $ 40.  The new owner took the horse home and gave it a bath and a good brushing, and the horse looked much better.  A few days later the original owner drove by and saw his old horse, and decided he would like to have it back.....so he stopped and offered $60 for the horse and it was accepted.  When he got the horse home he trimmed the mane and tail and combed them out.  The other farmer drove by a few days later, and was impressed by how nice the horse looked, and he bought the horse back for $ 90, and he took the horse home and trimmed the hooves and applied polish to them.  A few days later a farmer from the next county saw the horse in the field, and bought the horse for $ 120, and hauled him over to the next county.  A few days later the original farmer drove by, and saw the horse was not around - so he stopped to ask where "their" horse was.  The farmer told him that he has sold the horse to another farmer from the next county.....and the first farmer said:  "You fool - we were making a good living off that horse!"

(Sorry if I rambled.......I can remove this post if it is Off Topic or belongs in the TT).      

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/10/16 at 07:42:51

Dave wrote on 11/10/16 at 07:13:05:
...and the first farmer said:  "You fool - we were making a good living off that horse!"

Blowing my mind....
A single car is running the economy in perpetuity...
The revenue generated by the sale never goes away,.. it just gets converted into different goods, which in tern get converted into other goods.

We can all stop making cr@p... we have enough of it.
We just need to keep circulating the cr@p we already have...
Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 11/10/16 at 07:53:01

Quote:
We can all stop making cr@p... we have enough of it.
We just need to keep circulating the cr@p we already have...

That's what they did in Cuba. The whole economy revolves around a '57 chevy. Grin

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/gallery/cuba-time-capsule-american-cars

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 11/10/16 at 08:10:24

Yes Dave, again, right on.
This is why I am trying to find a common item, that has not been legislated away yet, that provides labor, which is associated with blue collar folk who are the middle class and backbone of America, or it use to be.
This opportunity is greatly diminishing and I feel eroding the very foundation that made America great.

I need a product where we can figure out its true worth to our society at its root.

Make anymore sense?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/10/16 at 09:32:47

When I was young I lived in a rural area with a nearby town.  My dad sold insurance....he was the only dad among my close friends that worked in a "service" business.  The other dads were crop or dairy farmers, or worked at one of the factories in town (Deming, Mullins, Bliss, Eljer), or they worked in the strip mines.  It was the factories that made the town go......and the town provided services to the factory owners, management and laborers.

The money was brought into our town by the factories selling their product nationally....and internationally.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 11/10/16 at 10:07:28

Yes, but I use the car because as a symbol and example of policies drafted and implemented in Washington DC , like energy, global warming, etc, affecting the automobile industry, etc, but what is the real revenue lost cost associated with more stringent restriction imposed on one program, to advance another different program.
I think the middle class needs to know this, as I believe it impacts them the most.

Ok, I hope someone can come up with some baseline formula that we can use to see if this possible link has any validation...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:24:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Question about revenue earnings...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.