Send Topic Print
Bad Starter? (Read 204 times)
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bad Starter?
11/07/16 at 15:33:29

Hey all, new guy here. Happy to be part of the savage club. Just purchased an awesome 87 bobber and two weeks later - no start. I was engaged in a conversation while trying to start it and, given my unfamiliarity with the decomp lever, I held it down the whole time while trying to start it. After a few failed attempts at starting, all I got was a buzzing starter relay and no start.

Have 2 batteries, both tested fine. Stripped the guts out of the fake oil can under the seat to expose the horrible rats nest of wires...found the buzzing starter. Disconnected and cleaned all connections - no joy. Jumped the relay - nothing. Hit the ignition - still buzzing.

Now, if I give the starter a good whack, I can get it to turn by both jumping the relay and/or direct power to the starter....but it turns real slow and only a couple times before it quits.

Why/how would whacking the starter effect the ability to jump the relay? Placing the screwdriver across both connections does nothing until I whack the starter. Could my holding down the decomp lever have damaged something? I did notice through my caveman testing tactics that the resistance from the lever has fluctuated from nonexistent to correct resistance, which is weird because the best i can tell it is just a spring.

I have yet to disconnect the starter and test it.

So given all this, does it sound like the starter needs to be replaced?

By the way, there is no kick stand safety and the bike has been in neutral when starting. Thanks in advance for the help!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Bad Starter?
Reply #1 - 11/07/16 at 16:24:01

Sounds like the brushes are shot in the starter.  When you hit it (whack it) you shift the brushes a little and get them to make contact. They quickly get back to not making contact. The other option is that you overheated the starter motor and dissolved the glue holding one of the magnets in place. It's hitting the rotating part of the motor and keeping it from turning. Unless you ran it for several minutes non-stop, I doubt this is it.

The decomp lever is attached to a valve lifter inside the head cover.  When you push the lever, it pushes the exhaust valve down just a little to allow compression to escape so the engine can turn over easier. You should only hold it down 1 or 2 revolutions before releasing it. The idea is for the starter to have an easier time getting the engine spinning. Resistance from the lever will vary depending on the position of the valves at the time it is actuated.

If you have someone in town who rebuilds electric motors or alternators, they can probably get you some brushes to replace the worn ones or replace them for you.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/07/16 at 16:35:42

Thanks Steve, that's what I feared. Wanted to double check before I drop a hundred bucks on a new starter. Having replaced them before, I know getting the starter to turn after hitting it is indicative of a failed/failing starter. Stinks because she's garaged now weeks after purchase. The conspiracy theorist in me things the prior owner might have known about it. Won't answer his phone Undecided

As far as rebuild...I don't have the proper tools or know anyone to do it. Gonna check the forums before I spring for a new unit.

Any recommended reputable (and economic) retailers?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/07/16 at 17:14:50

Wouldn't you take it apart after you replaced it?
Take it apart. See what is going on..
You're gonna have to build some retainers to keep the brushes in place to get the armature back in place.
If the magnets aren't busted up too bad they Can be put back in,, but, batteries and starters ? I want Good stuff starting it.. I can't push it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/07/16 at 19:36:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/07/16 at 17:14:50:
Wouldn't you take it apart after you replaced it?
Take it apart. See what is going on..
You're gonna have to build some retainers to keep the brushes in place to get the armature back in place.
If the magnets aren't busted up too bad they Can be put back in,, but, batteries and starters ? I want Good stuff starting it.. I can't push it.

Yup....good call. Great youtube videos out there. I'll get some beer this weekend and crack her open - see what's going on. Thanks.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 11/07/16 at 20:16:28

As long as the magnets are in place, it shouldn't be all that hard to put in brushes.  The problem these days is finding the parts.  You can't just go to the hardware store and pick up the brushes you need like in the old days. You've gotta find somebodythat deals in that stuff and then if they're in the repair business, they don't want to sell you the parts, they want you to bring it in for a $75 repair that consists of $6 worth of brushes and 10 minutes of their time. If it's a supply house, many of them won't sell to you unless you're in the business.

Here's a link to a starter rebuild kit on the bay for the LS650
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-rebuild-repair-kit-Suzuki-S650P-G-LS650P-H-J-...

That should get it assuming the armature isn't trashed and the magnets are still in place.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/07/16 at 20:20:33

Steve H wrote on 11/07/16 at 20:16:28:
Here's a link to a starter rebuild kit on the bay for the LS650http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-rebuild-repair-kit-Suzuki-S650P-G-LS650P-H-J-...

That should get it assuming the armature isn't trashed and the magnets are still in place.

Yeah, I saw that one. It is possible that a thorough cleaning might do the trick, no?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/07/16 at 22:00:46

Before you Buy anything, find out what is going on inside the starter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 11/08/16 at 04:15:09

It is possible that the armature is just gunked up with carbon or something and a cleaning will fix it.  Like JOG said, you really should figure out what's going on inside it before ordering parts.

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/08/16 at 19:16:05

So I've got the starter apart...man there is a metric sh!t ton of carbon. Before I took it apart, I did a bench test and it sparked with nothing. Tapped on it and tried again and it spun.

Brushes appear ok I guess...I will take a picture. Other than cleaning the carbon out, the only thing I notice is that the glue on one of the magnets is coming loose. It is still in there but is movable with slight pressure. Could this be the issue? Gonna clean her up and reassemble....see if that works.

I don't really know what to use (available around the house) to clean it or what will damage it. I have some CLP for cleaning carbon out of weapons, but I am not sure how well that will work with electrical components.

20161108_221842.jpg
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/08/16 at 19:16:48

More

20161108_221847.jpg
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/08/16 at 19:18:41

And last one

20161108_221854.jpg
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/08/16 at 19:25:03

Crap! Lookey here. Magnet's cracked. This mean I gotta replace it?

1478662058940-1609061792.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/08/16 at 19:43:05

If it was a lawnmower I'd squirt Berrymans B12 at it and blow it clean with the compressor and run Stupid Glue in the crack and behind the magnets.
The brushes look like they are not pushing tight on the commutator.
An eraser or 1000 grit sandpaper is pretty good..
Brushes should be
Profiled
to the armature/commutator
Wrap the thing with sandpaper and rub the brushes to shape, If they are very wrong.. I can't tell from the picture.
I've had good luck patching mower starters, but I have never been more than five minutes from the house on one, either..

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/08/16 at 20:08:15

Well, got her back together and she spins like a top. brushes were real tight and had to pry them back together to slide the armature in. Cleaned out tons of carbon between the communicators.

One big problem though, I can get everything seated right. If I tighten her up, no spin. Loosen the bolts and she spins fine....but they are loose to an uncomfortable level where I can see definite movement on the ends when I press. Ugh....I will reattack tomorrow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:39:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Starter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.