Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Leafy Savage
Reply #30 - 11/09/16 at 07:18:18

batman wrote on 11/07/16 at 21:55:38:
But you can ride 100 miles before it dies! WOW! and the rest of the day you can sit around and listen to it charge! NO THANKS! It makes no sense to dive battery powered bikes or cars, they don't allow you to go long distances,their cost is so high that the difference in price will buy you years worth of gas,and your not "saving the environment " because all the power used is generated in power plants,not only that but buy converting ac to dc used in batteries there is a 33% loss of power( heat)

Not to mention the environmental cost of making the batteries

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 11/09/16 at 07:50:05

And recycling them..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 11/09/16 at 08:05:28

There have always been people making and customizing cars and motorcycles into "show" and "display" models that do not get used.

This just happens to be a relatively expensive electric version of a show/concept/display bike.
(You won't convince me that this is a functional vehicle without a proper seat, fenders, mirrors, visible turn signals and brake light).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 11/09/16 at 08:41:10

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #34 - 11/09/16 at 08:54:14

I’m not an environmentalist – not even close. I do consider myself a conservationist – a term that has all but disappeared since the rise of the extreme environmentalist movement (cult?).

I like the idea of electric vehicles that are powered by clean energy sources such as wind, solar, hydro, wave, etc. The problem is, we aren’t there yet. At our present consumption levels, alternative energy sources can only meet 10-15% (Wikipedia) of our needs. Add millions of electric vehicles to that equation and that figure drops dramatically. In fact, our power grid probably can’t keep up with that type of demand.

In order for an electric-powered future to take hold and grow, there will have to be disruptive technology on several fronts including power generation, storage, application, and disposal/recycling. For eight years the government has tried to buy/force that type of disruptive change, but it takes a lot more than money (and a lot of it) to make that type of change happen, it takes demand – demand by the people who will use it. That demand probably won’t happen until we are pumping our last gallon of crude out of the ground.  And then we’ll panic.

With that said, I look forward to never having to stop at a gas station again. Moreover, due to the torque output, electric vehicles are fun to operate. I think cars like the Chevy Bolt hold great promise (180 to 240 mile range depending on temperature and type of travel), but until you can buy one at an affordable price (without help from the taxpayers) they are expensive novelty products. I think I might lease one anyway.

My point, I don’t hate electric vehicles – I look forward to them. But we have a long way to go before they are ready for Joe Consumer. Project/experiment bikes like the leafy savage move us closer to that future. The beauty lies in the technology, not in its lines.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 11/09/16 at 09:20:07

In order for an electric-powered future to take hold and grow, there will have to be disruptive technology on several fronts including power generation, storage, application, and disposal/recycling. For eight years the government has tried to buy/force that type of disruptive change, but it takes a lot more than money (and a lot of it) to make that type of change happen, it takes demand – demand by the people who will use it. That demand probably won’t happen until we are pumping our last gallon of crude out of the ground.  And then we’ll panic.

WOW! A Twofer!
Insightful
and
Inciteful

Excellent analysis of the situation, but I would pose a point to consider.

Yes, the appearance Was, Big Subsidies, to Help America achieve taking a step toward energy independence.
But,
The thing that I see about that is
Obama got tons of support for doing that from his lefty base.
And, like the trade deals had
Unintended Consequences
Those investments also had
Unintended Outcomes..
The common factor
Unintended
Does Not , by any means, Translate to
Unforeseen or unforeseeable.

And just how much of the money given to those so called companies went to Obama or some other democrat BS social engineering project is not yet known.
Another place to investigate..

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 11/09/16 at 10:30:43

And on a smaller scale, making us buy Compact Fluorescent Lights & phasing out incandescents, BUT no established, affordable  recycling program for the CFL's. The mercury they contain goes into the landfill.

Again, [insert sarcasm here] Unintended Consequences....Guv-mint often does that.

« Last Edit: 11/10/16 at 05:18:03 by Rodger »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 11/09/16 at 10:34:37

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/09/16 at 08:54:14:
In order for an electric-powered future to take hold and grow, there will have to be disruptive technology on several fronts including power generation, storage, application, and disposal/recycling.

Given the specs for the vehicle Quote:
96 Volt battery pack (32s2p Headway 15 amp cells)

And a Solar panel Quote:
325W      5.65A      57.6VDC

2 panels would give you over 100 v for direct charging.
You should be able to commute to work (100 mile max round trip)
Plug in for 8 hrs and maintain a full charge.
Now granted, not every employer will allow you to mount a solar panel to their roof at a drop of the hat.  
But 2 panels would make a nice roof to a m/c barn.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #38 - 11/09/16 at 17:51:19

I'm in favor of electric vehicles for all the right reasons but you sure can't beat the sound of a cammed big block V8. That electric whine just doesn't catch my attention.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 11/09/16 at 18:47:25

Rodger wrote on 11/09/16 at 10:30:43:
And on a smaller scale, making us buy Compact Fluorescent Lights & phasing out incandescents, BUT no established, affordable  recycling program for the CFL's. The mercury they contain goes into the landfill.

Again, Unintended Consequences....Guv-mint often does that.

If someone pointed a gun at you, pulled the trigger, then said they didn't Mean to shoot you, you'd know they were lying, right?

Just because someone Says that an OBVIOUS result from an intentional act is
Just an
Unintended Consequence
doesn't mean you should believe it.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 11/10/16 at 05:15:53

JOG: guess I have to put "insert sarcasm " in that post since you seemed to miss the point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 11/10/16 at 06:59:34

Yeah, black and white text fails to communicate tone and inflection.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:22:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Leafy Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.