Send Topic Print
Service life (Read 143 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Service life
11/07/16 at 06:51:16

We've seen it go 155,000 miles, and no drama, always good oil, never run low, no backwards filters, and it stayed together.

Is that reason to believe that all of them will?

How about the valve adjustments? Did Youzguys run them tight?
Worry about it at all?

Was this just that
And the gods smiled
engine? All the QC checked clearances weren't just
In Tolerance
but just flippin perfikk??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Service life
Reply #1 - 11/07/16 at 07:32:28

It is hard to say......I have a feeling that youzguyz might/could ride a bit less aggressively than some of us do, and that is likely to have some affect on how long parts are going to last.  I wear tires out in 4,000 - 6,000 miles......while some folks are getting 18,000 miles out of their tires (I do buy tires that are performance oriented rather than high mileage tires).  I don't use full throttle or high rpm very often.....I just don't slow down very much in the corners.

However....if you are in tune with what the Savage engine wants and needs - it is likely that you could get similar results.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 11/07/16 at 07:33:47

Was it a Goldilocks engine? Probably not. Mass produced engines vary little on the same production run. Year-to year manufacturing changes, procurement changes or tooling changes would have an impact.

Was his year (sorry, don't have it handy) a Goldilocks engine year? That's a possibility. Suzuki has been producing a variation of the air-cooled SOHC engine since the mid 1970's. Having produced these in the millions I'd say that they have the process fairly locked-down.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/07/16 at 07:50:46

There's a painting of his Savage in the attic,... and it has aged miserably... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 11/07/16 at 16:42:11

You would think in that amount of time and number of engines, that they would have learned how to plug holes and make cam chain adjusters that work.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/07/16 at 17:08:05

make cam chain adjusters that work.

Hey, they keep it tight,
Till they don't..
Then it's a
Feline Butt Award
Commonly known as a
CatAssTrophy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 11/07/16 at 18:29:14

JOG, you have a way with words! Or, more specifically, your own vocabulary!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/07/16 at 19:20:10

Yeah, thanks for noticing...I have fun with that..
Because I am Stewpid, duhh..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/07/16 at 19:43:21

Steve H wrote on 11/07/16 at 16:42:11:
You would think in that amount of time and number of engines, that they would have learned how to plug holes and make cam chain adjusters that work.

Then where would we get all these bikes to fix for cheap and ride?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 11/08/16 at 04:17:13

You got a point there.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/08/16 at 11:02:13

Dave wrote on 11/07/16 at 07:32:28:
It is hard to say......I have a feeling that youzguyz might/could ride a bit less aggressively than some of us do, and that is likely to have some affect on how long parts are going to last.  I wear tires out in 4,000 - 6,000 miles......while some folks are getting 18,000 miles out of their tires (I do buy tires that are performance oriented rather than high mileage tires).  I don't use full throttle or high rpm very often.....I just don't slow down very much in the corners.

However....if you are in tune with what the Savage engine wants and needs - it is likely that you could get similar results.

"Less aggressively"... I guess it depends on how you define that.
I don't do much highway.  Just about everything is back roads.  That takes a lot of shifting, a lot of dodging, stuff like that.  Some of the Hill Country Adventure boys could help you understand the kind of roads that I ride.  I sort of kept up with MM on the sisters a couple years ago, but I normally don't challenge the road and drag the pegs.

Then again, I didn't take them on much of the dirt that I tend to ride on.   I like the light weight and high torque for that kind of riding.  I do know that I have busted more things than most people, but not the engine.  Headlights, fenders, spokes, muffler bracket, shocks. bearings.. riding the rough roads takes it's toll.

I use high mileage tires, as I do a LOT of riding, and feel that the Metzler gives me the handling I need as well.

The secret to the long life? Not a clue. Maybe it is just that I don't let the bikes sit.

thumper.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 11/08/16 at 18:29:01

Bikes do tend to sit longer than most other vehicles. You may have a point.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Service life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.