stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Ninja 250 vs Deer
11/05/16 at 20:57:01

Cruising a two lane country road about sundown, 55mph, two cars in oncoming lane approaching. Out of nowhere a deer, which I never saw in advance, apparently lunged out from the ditch and into my right side. All I remember was "wham" and thinking I was about to slide into oncoming traffic...still not knowing what happened. I just held the wheel straight, let off the gas, no brakes, eventually pulled in the clutch, and coasted down to about 15mph. I was almost in the dark and knew I was a few miles from the county dump site. I crippled the Ninja in and under the light checked things out and regained my composure. Looked ok to make it the remaining 5 miles home. Assessment so far is a busted front fender (ebay replacement ordered), crack in main faring that I can fix, snapped and busted right rearset where I think his head slammed into my foot and pushed it all in and back, and fur all over.

God was watching over me. Going that fast on that small of a bike and having a deer smash into me should have caused a bad wreck. I swear my path of travel never budged, even with a force on my front tire enough to snap my fender in multiple places.

Be safe out there my friends. No matter how vigilant we are, we're not invincible!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ninja 250 vs Deer
Reply #1 - 11/05/16 at 21:06:56

apparently you are invincible my friend.
prayer of thanks offered.

« Last Edit: 11/05/16 at 22:15:49 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 11/05/16 at 22:23:06

Wow

Its just like I thought  , if the good lord has chores for you to do in your future ... Then .... It don't matter what Satan throws at ya , it will be O.K.   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 11/05/16 at 22:28:07

Your deer whistle works well .
Glad your ok !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/06/16 at 03:54:54

A deer should know better than to attack a Ninja!  They would be much better off attempting it on a Pinto....or Colt (I can't think of any wimpy bike names at the moment).

Glad that you are OK, and the bike is mostly OK as well.  Riding at sunset is something I do more than I should.....as that is when I can squeeze in a short ride in the evenings.

PVC cement is supposed to work really well on the fairings.....and you can use pieces of PVC plastic for reinforcements.  Be careful not to get it on the paint as it will eat the paint away.....I put a piece of tape on the paint side of the repair crack to help keep it from oozing out onto the paint.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 11/06/16 at 07:10:09

Thanks for the well wishes! Waking up and thinking about it this morning, I still shoulda been spread out on that highway. As MM noted, God must have some plans for me and it just wasn't my time to get hurt.

I think on the faring I am going to use JB weld and back it up with a piece of plastic. I like JB because it dries slow enough where I can wipe the ooze off and it be pretty clean on the outside. Here's the break.

IMG_20161105_182856.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 11/06/16 at 07:11:06

And the broken peg mount...

IMG_20161105_182851.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/06/16 at 08:36:31

JB weld doesn't hold ABS, ask me how I know *cough cough junky ninja cough cough*
Get the stuff Dave said, it's almost the only thing that'll hold

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 11/06/16 at 10:12:11

Ninja 1 - Deer 0

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/06/16 at 10:13:16

Glad to hear you made it through that experience with no injuries and no major damage to the bike.  So you never even saw the deer,even after it hit you? Did it run off before you could look back.  They seem to stand by the roads for minutes trying to decide if they should cross or not and then when they see a vehicle approaching they decide they had better hurry up and leap across.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/06/16 at 12:39:58

Stew, thank God you are OK. I am really glad to know you were not hurt. God bless you friend.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/06/16 at 15:17:13

JB weld will probably work, if you scuff up the plastic before you attempt to glue it.  And you will need to put something on the crack to reinforce it, something that will span across the crack and give the JB weld a fair amount of surface area to bond to.  You could use some aluminum flat bar and bend it to follow the contour of the faring....and scuff it up as well.  

Looking at your footpeg mount....it appears that the deer hit that area pretty hard.  The peg is supposed to fold.....before it breaks stuff????  The deer could have been pushing down and backward - which is not the way the peg folds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/06/16 at 15:42:06

Jeez, Stew! Glad you're okay and that the Ninja wasn't seriously damaged. I've hit 3 animals (2 white tail deer, 1 pronghorn antelope) in a car, & those were bad enough. Shudder to think of doing it on a bike!  Undecided

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 11/06/16 at 17:04:42

Glad your ok ! country roads at night, can't be I a hurry,I never ride over 45 because I'm very rural ,deer an sometimes black bear !    If you want a solid and permanent fix for plastic I'd use fiberglass cloth and epoxy from a marine supply store ,find a good weld shop to fix your foot peg bracket.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 11/06/16 at 17:20:03

Glad yer' okay,.. did yer' pants survive?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...