Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork oil change? 2011 S40 (Read 129 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Fork oil change? 2011 S40
11/05/16 at 13:09:05

I am running a risk here as many of my past questions have been addressed in articles in the tech section, but I just can't seem to find the answer to this one:

When I purchased my used bike last week, I was given a repair manual in PDF format on a CD, but it only goes up to 2009.  I am assuming that it will still give good info on most things.

However, I want to make sure of the lubrication of various parts of the new (to me) bike.  I trusted my last purchase (a 1978 BMW R100/7) seller who told me that everything was OK.  I later found out that the front wheel bearings hadn't been touched in years!  Very dangerous and I was very lucky!

My question now is, after searching the tech section, and also practically reading that whole manual's pertinent sections, I don't find a way to change fork oil without removing fork and turning upside down to drain.  Is this correct?  There is not a "drain plug" somewhere on the lower sliders to drain out fork oil?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork oil change? 2011 S40
Reply #1 - 11/05/16 at 13:16:59

Yep, take the cap off, slip the fork down out of the tree and set it upside down in a liter jar, cycle a couple of times and it'll be empty.

There is a bolt at the bottom, but I doubt you'll get it loose without making a bigger mess.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 11/05/16 at 15:25:46

The 2009 manual will work correctly for your 2011. Their may be some wire color changes, that's it.

How many miles are on your bike? No need to change fork oil if it has low miles.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/05/16 at 19:20:01

I do suggest at least checking the fork oil level on any bike, including a brand new one.  My 1996, bought new on 2000, had only a few drops of oil in the forks from what the factory put in.  Who ever it was the dealer had take my bike out of the crate totally missed that item on the check list, assuming he could read.  I did have engine oil at least.  
So it NEVER hurts to check.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/06/16 at 06:07:54

Changing the fork oil with the forks on the bike won't be any easier that removing them.  You still have to remove the wheel to access vthe lower fork bolts, the top cap, spring and preload spacer.  But you'll also need to fabricate a special tool and remove the lower bolt from each fork.  And technically, you should replace the crush washers on the lower bolts when you install the lower bolt.

So, unless you are replacing the seals or lowering the forks, it's probably easier to just dump the oil out.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/06/16 at 15:22:37

Dumb Question of the day for Lancer:

When I bought my new S40, I found that the tires were 5 psi below recommendations & 3 cells on the battery were below the add line. Now I'm wondering about the fork oil.  Is there a way to accurately check the levels without removing the forks from the bike?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/06/16 at 15:49:58

Clymer has a method, but involves removing the spring and collapsing the forks.

But that said, the level is about an inch or 2 below the top of the tube when fully collapsed into the bottom.

Do 1 side at a time.
Lift the front end up to take the weight off, but wheel still on ground.
Remove the cap,loosen the signal, loosen the pinch bolt, slide the top tube down.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:24:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork oil change? 2011 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.