WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Death wobble
Reply #1 - 11/02/16 at 21:11:19

Those big Harleys ain't right anyway .   Grin     I also suspect there is something wrong with anybody who would spend $20,000 + on a Cheep-Transportation-Vehicle .

It seem like Harley would balance there motors better so they didn't need "Super-Soft" rubber mounts to keep the motors in the frames.

That being said :  I haven't found any major flaws with the 883 (2007) Sportster yet.   One of my brothers got a "solid-mounted-motor" 1200 sportster (1994 all chopped out looking) last summer.   I rode it a few miles two weeks ago --- , it reminded me of a 1972 BSA I rode last spring , vibrated more than a little.  Roll Eyes

Smiley

mikes_phone_pictures_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/02/16 at 21:16:11

Rumor and innuendo..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 11/02/16 at 21:56:17

Easily seventy five or eighty percent of the bikes I encounter out on the road are Harleys, a lot of them big twins with big fairings, bags, trunks etc.  How come all those guys aren't dead or in the hospital?

Local CBS affiliate someplace. I taking this one with a pretty large grain of skepticism I'm afraid,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/02/16 at 22:46:49

Oscillations like that occur with certain frame spring rates.
could be mfg tolerances, could be certain mods.
As someone with a modified bike, I prefer to be informed.
You can put your head in the sand if you wish.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/03/16 at 04:17:13

I've seen a stretch of road that scares me. No visible marks on the road. Nothing that I can see that would make it shake, but it was exciting and unfunny, I THINK it was that way coming and going, both trips.. so, I have a hard time condemning the windshield as catching a breeze,,

When you have Documented Evidence of the Fact that the HD is misbehaving, better to find out why.
The 05 without any windshield, and shocks set up tight acted like a drunk rubber cow on a local sweeper..
I have not tried a full on assault with the 02.
Just got the new Metzler rear tire in yesterday, now, gotta get it ON.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/03/16 at 05:00:32

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #7 - 11/03/16 at 05:07:57

This is the first I've heard of it. Never had much desire for a big Harley before and even less likely to end up with one now. A Sportster would be nice but I still prefer smaller lighter bikes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/03/16 at 05:50:55

I'm gonna be studying the windshield and make sure it's setup as square to the frame as possible.
Maybe the Metzlers will calm it down.
I'm pretty sure the bags are not hitting the wind with symmetry.
The shocks are set on the softest setting.
It's gotten a bit scary a few times.. And I was running traffic speeds.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/03/16 at 06:01:58

Jog:

One fellow on the forum mounted a tool roll under his headlamp, and it caused his bike to wobble at speed.

I haven't read that any of our folks have had problems with their windshield causing a problem - but I can believe it is possible.

The road I was riding on last Sunday had several patched areas in the asphalt....and it appears that they drove a backhoe on the patches and it imprinted the tractor tread into the asphalt.  That created some spooky vibrations while I was leaned over in a few corners!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/03/16 at 06:13:49

Thanks for the input. I have a fanny pack on top of the light, and the windshield gap at the light isn't exactly symmetrical, or real small, so, after the tires are on, if it's still twitchy, I'll be looking..

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 11/03/16 at 06:42:42

Aint just Harleys:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2134-Does-Anyone-Have-Front-Wheel-Wobble

Reading through the thread, a lot of this is just the usual MC forum bickering but the issue has been around on GWs for a while, with all sorts of opinions as to cause and cure.

Here's one that focuses on HDs:

http://ridermagazine.com/2009/11/17/motorcycle-weaves-and-wobbles-how-to-avoi...

ANY motorcycle (or bicycle for that matter) is susceptible to headshake or weave under the right combination of speed, rider input, suspension, road surface, weight distribution, mechanical condition etc.

I rode a buddy's beat-to-sh*t CB 750 years ago that started a high speed weave at about 70 that could only be controlled by laying down on the tank and gently rolling off the throttle. We never did figure out why it did that. That bike was entirely stock, and when I rode it at least, had nothing tied, strapped, or bolted to it anywhere.

I still think  the the CBS story was basically just a hatched job.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 11/03/16 at 07:13:47

My two cents.

Harley Davidson make mediocre motorcycles with lousy frames but package it all into such a beautiful looking (and sounding) item it sells like hotcakes.

I don't know about Sportsters, but Dyna and Touring bikes all share the same design fault: the rear fork is hinged not on the frame but on the gearbox.
Huh
Yep !
They only had to buy a 1950's brit bike and copy the frame, but no, they had to go their own way
and improve a 1920's design to the point you just can't improve it any more... and this is what you get.

Death wobble.

Look at the three Youtube videos posted a while up the thread.
Ask yourselves... would you buy a car whose rear axle was not bolted to the chassis but to ... whatever else ?

Tongue

BTW My other bike is a Dyna... Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/03/16 at 07:44:27

Weaves and the more violent head shaking has been well documented and filmed since at least the 50s.  Some models seem to be more prone than others, like the short wheelbase BMW R60/5s & R75/5s in the early 70s.  BMW lengthened the swing arm after a couple years and solved the problem but many are skeptical and believe it was never a problem.  I recently bought an early short wheelbase /5 toaster tank and am in the slow process of restoring it.  When I get it on the road next summer I guess I will find out if it shakes or not.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 11/03/16 at 07:58:32

Quote:
I don't know about Sportsters, but Dyna and Touring bikes all share the same design fault: the rear fork is hinged not on the frame but on the gearbox.
Huh]

Take a peek at a Ducati Panigale. Steering stem and swingarm are both bolted to the motor/gearbox. Is that a design fault too,?  

http://newatlas.com/ducati-panigale-1199-naked-fairings-frame-pictures/22035/

There have been, and I think there still are, MotoGP bikes that are built similarly.

The execution is likely more important than the design itself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:27:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Death wobble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.