Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K&n drop in replacement (Read 169 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
K&n drop in replacement
10/31/16 at 11:40:33

Hello everyone, I've been looking on getting a k&n drop in replacement for the factory airbox, on the account of the free flowing pipe I got, to which I have two questions, I've read about the oil the filters come with, can it cause carbon build up, or any damage? I also know when I swap to an aftermarket exhaust I will have to jet accordingly. Is this also the case with an air filter? For example, say I have a free flowing exhaust with the paper element filter and I have a 155 main, will I have to go up if I get a k&n?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: K&n drop in replacement
Reply #1 - 10/31/16 at 12:27:33

I spent the money. The filter didn't completely seal and it sucked air around it some, fixed the airbox with epoxy.
Time to clean it?
Wait till it dries,,
Or, keep a stock filter to stick in.

I don't think it's worth it. I have a different Savage now, I'm not going to buy another K and N..

Old Feller did a
DIY version. Looks like a winner.
I'm just gonna run stock..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 10/31/16 at 13:01:47

I 've used an Oldfellers ,for two years before cleaning ,it is less restrictive than stock, does a better job of filtering than a K&N,fits properly(be cause you use the stock frame),and costs you only about $10 instead of $58 like the K&N ,and is can be reused.I wouldn't use anything else! I don't think you will have to rejet ,but every bike is different.

« Last Edit: 11/01/16 at 20:15:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 10/31/16 at 13:11:37

The oil breather vents into the air box also (don't forget to empty the drain tube when you change oil), but I never had a problem with my K&N (it comes with a bracket and screw to allow a good seal) .

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 11/01/16 at 07:20:56

I use the K&N...no problems in the 4 years I've had it...prolly should oil it again...LOL
I did re-jet but I changed out my exhaust at the same time so I dunno if I would have had to re-jet with just the air filter...

Jetting really has to be played with for each individual...depends on lots of variables...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #5 - 11/01/16 at 20:07:02

batman wrote on 10/31/16 at 13:01:47:
I 've used an Oldfellers ,for two years before cleaning ,it is less restrictive than stock, does a better job of filtering than a K&N,fits properly(be cause you use the stock frame),and costs you only about $10 instead of $58 like the K&N ,and is can be reused.I wouldn't use anything else! I don't thing you will have to rejet ,but every bike is different.

I read oldfeller's post on the diy filter, seems solid, but the one thing I don't like is taking the access door off. Did you put yours back on or did you leave it off? Did you modify the airbox in any way? And also did you use 1 or 2 inch thick material?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/01/16 at 20:29:33

.I just used 1" but I found that it did try to move down from the top even with sewing it to the screen,but I raped it(the whole filter) in a cut off toe of pantyhose and it solved the problem. I did remove the plastic side cover and the rubber snorkel from the top (this filter needs to breath)with no ill effects. Some dust and dirt enter the air box but doesn't pass the filter,heavy rain has no effect.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/02/16 at 04:17:02

I raped it(the whole filter) in a cut off toe of pantyhose and it solved the problem.

Why can't I picture just how that solved the problem?

So, you packed the filter, firmly, into the toe of pantyhose?

I applaud the bravery of explaining, but, I just can't picture THAT as a solution to a problem..
And trust me, I have Pictured you doing that, in profile,
and while I don't see it as a solution for any motorcycle problem, it ISa funny mental image.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #8 - 11/02/16 at 09:07:08

No comment on JOG's preceding comment. (He's a Texan, so that probably explains it....) Roll Eyes

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 11/02/16 at 09:29:23

old.indian wrote on 11/02/16 at 09:07:08:
No comment on JOG's preceding comment. (He's a Texan, so that probably explains it....) Roll Eyes

Raped vs. wrapped........I get JOGs (warped) sense of humor. Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/02/16 at 09:35:24

I cut and pasted that statement.

And then commented on it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 11/02/16 at 13:43:10

I PLACED the entire filter ,frame and all in the leg of the pantyhose pulled it tight ,knotted it,cut off the excess .the small area of the snorkel tends to rip layers from the top of filter do to higher speed of the air coming through that small opening as compared to the open side door.Rape is what K&N does to you for $58.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/02/16 at 14:53:31

I removed the snorkel on the 05.
I'm totally pleased with the 02, so no tinkering..
Im getting a hair over 50 mpg, running around town and to the lake, so, mixed highway, rural and city, shoving the windshield and bags and me through the wind.. and I get some deceleration racket sometimes if I'm quick about it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&n drop in replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.