Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DECOMPRESSION RELEASE LEVER TRAVEL (Read 95 times)
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
DECOMPRESSION RELEASE LEVER TRAVEL
10/31/16 at 08:07:38

Hi Guys,

Been a long time but I'm getting the Street Tracker project moving again.

I am using a different gas tank and it interferes with the manual decompression lever that I’ve installed.  There isn’t a lot of clearance between the bottom of the tank and the cylinder head. I need to make a new lever.

What I want to know is how far does the lever have to move to be effective? How far does the decompression solenoid move the stock lever? Or to put it another way, how many degrees does the lever need to rotate, after all the slop is removed, to be effective? I’m assuming it doesn’t have to move very far to be effective. We just want to ease the effort of starting the motor.

Thanks,

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Re: DECOMPRESSION RELEASE LEVER TRAVEL
Reply #1 - 10/31/16 at 11:47:51

I don't know the exact measurement I think it only rotates a couple degrees. The attached picture shows what's actually happening inside the case.

I personally have all of the decomp stuff off of my bike. I tried the Ryca foot lever and it ended up rattling off of the bike early on. Even with the lever on the bike, there wasn't much movement at all of the lever.

It hasn't been on since and I have a little over 1000 miles without anything even going remotely wrong with starting the bike.

This youtube video is from Ryca and shows how little it actually needs to move.  https://youtu.be/LZrAdongjIE

Decompression_Lever_1.jpg
  IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - 10/31/16 at 12:01:27

Thanks for the reply. I looked at that Ryca video and it looks like the movement is ten degrees or so, not much. I think I can make a lever that fits.

I started the bike this morning for the first time since I bought it in was it , 20012 ? It started right up, even without the compression release. I'm using an SLA battery intended for a Honda motocross bike. Puts out lots of amps. My wiring from the battery thru the solenoid to the starter is very short so there isn't much voltage drop there.

I don't want to put the bike together without the compression release and then find out I need it. So it's to the shop and bandsaw to make a new lever.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/31/16 at 12:34:35

If you only ride in warm weather, and have the stock piston, and a good battery and starter...you may not ever need the compression release.  My bike has a 95mm Wiseco and 99 out of 100 starts I don't need to use the manual release - but if the engine has stopped on the bottom of the compression stroke - the starter is not strong enough to push the piston all the way up against the 10.5:1 compression....and it won't turn the engine over.  I then have to use the compression release if I want to get it going.

If the cam has pushed the exhaust valves open when you move the lever....the operation of the manual compression release is really easy.  If the valves are closed, the ramp portion of the shaft has to lift the two exhaust valves off their seats....this offers a pretty strong amount of resistance.  Once the release shaft has moved onto the round portion of the shaft - it is easy to hold it in place and keep the valves open until you release the lever....if you have only moved it part way when you hit the starter, it can give the compression lever a hard jerk when the exhaust rocker is closing the valves.

The stock bike is designed for all parts of the world, in all kinds of temperatures and weather.  When folks are starting these bikes are really cold temperatures, with really thick oil and cold batteries....the compression release most likely is necessary at every startup.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #4 - 10/31/16 at 17:33:01

OK, I got it done. I found some 1/8 aluminum lying around, don’t know what alloy it was.  I drew plans and made up a new lever that would clear the tank. Instead of taking a chance on bending a thumb rest , I  pop riveted a piece of angle stock on the end.

It took lots of fiddling and grinding but I finally made it work. As you said, it doesn’t take much rotation to lift the valve. You can really tell the difference when you crank the motor and operate the lever.

John in Kalifornia

lever_1.jpg
  IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #5 - 10/31/16 at 17:34:50

Lever actuated. Doesn't need much to open the valve (s).

lever_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:32:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DECOMPRESSION RELEASE LEVER TRAVEL

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.