Send Topic Print
Straight pipe? Baffle? (Read 154 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Straight pipe? Baffle?
10/28/16 at 20:26:44

I understand this is my third post in about the past 24 hours ( I hope I aint gettin on anyones nerves) and I also understand straight pipeing a savage is a very bad idea and I would never do it. Too loud.

However, I just purchased a Mac performance exhaust, and it is a full pipe with the head pipe.

My concern is its basically a straight pipe with about a 10 inch baffle at the rear wheel, the perforated type with the metal bent as flaps going in towards the middle.

Would something like this offer enough backpressure? Would I kill my precious savage even with the right jets and tuning?

P.s. everything else is stock, except for the cam chain tensioner and the white spacer mod

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Straight pipe? Baffle?
Reply #1 - 10/28/16 at 20:27:44

Here is the exhaust

MAC-RC-S40B1.jpg
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/28/16 at 20:37:07

Here is a baffle alike.

V_H_Baffle.jpg
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/28/16 at 21:27:55

batman wrote on 10/28/16 at 21:18:53:
You already bought it and now your asking! Well the guys with HIGH performance motors should chime in here ,but I'm thinking a 2inch header pipe is WAY to big for a stock motor,I may be wrong but I think those with high compression pistons and stage 3 cams are only using 1 3/4 inch pipes.

It's a pipe in a pipe, probably something like the stock header, and I was excited so I bought it, and then read up on straight pipes.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/28/16 at 21:36:26

If it's baffled like the one you show in the pic ,It doesn't look to be very restrictive ,but you could play with that ,maybe add a plate in the center much like a Dyna muffler.but I may be nuts ,lets see if others have the Mac ,or have a handle on this.  It is nice looking!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/29/16 at 02:54:55

It is a nice looking pipe, and we are all hoping that it works well, and is not too loud.

An pipe without adequate restriction can cause pressure waves that hinder good performance.....hopefully that situation won't occur with this pipe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 10/29/16 at 04:02:27

Is there room in the muffler to wrap the baffle with fiberglass?
A lot of pipes have done that. It knocks the sharp edge off the sound. Just get some household insulation fiberglass (Home Depot?) and wrap it around the baffle. Hold it in place with safety wire.
It won't last forever, but you can repack it when the stuff cooks out.
I wondered about the 2" head pipe diameter. Prob nothing short of a lot of dyno runs will answer that.
Very handsome system  Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/29/16 at 04:20:48

Armen wrote on 10/29/16 at 04:02:27:
Is there room in the muffler to wrap the baffle with fiberglass?
A lot of pipes have done that. It knocks the sharp edge off the sound. Just get some household insulation fiberglass (Home Depot?) and wrap it around the baffle. Hold it in place with safety wire.
It won't last forever, but you can repack it when the stuff cooks out.
I wondered about the 2" head pipe diameter. Prob nothing short of a lot of dyno runs will answer that.
Very handsome system  Smiley

That 2 inch pipe, has another pipe inside, just like stock. And the baffle can't be removed to wrap.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #8 - 10/29/16 at 09:22:09

If you don't want it, I'll trade ya for mine (the exhuast system), and I'll  throw in my annoying second born to boot.... Cool

You will need to re-jet and you might want to install a high flow air filter (K&N) at the same time.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/29/16 at 09:36:06

old.indian wrote on 10/29/16 at 09:22:09:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/oldpackard/thumbnail_ls650_5_zpsgsem...
If you don't want it, I'll trade ya for mine (the exhuast system), and I'll  throw in my annoying second born to boot.... Cool

You will need to re-jet and you might want to install a high flow air filter (K&N) at the same time.    

I know I'm gonna have to rejet, and I've done it before, however, I don't want to get rid Of the stock airbox, do you have any suggestions? You think I can just run it if I rejet?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 10/29/16 at 09:54:21

K&N makes a filter that fits in the stock air box. (part # SU 6595, I've used this in my stock air box, so I know it works, and it comes with a bracket and screw to hold it in place.)     Can you run it with just a re-jet ??    I certainly wouldn't hesitate.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 10/29/16 at 11:40:38

Take your new baffle to the plumbing dept at the local hardware store , then look for crumb cups they keep junk from going down the drain they make several styles and sizes. The baffle I made for my pipe I was able to find 2 that fit one that fit over forward end of baffle just put 2 screws in it and the other fit inside the baffle at the rear with 2 screws then packed it with a good packing material. If it's too quiet just drill all the little holes bigger !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 10/29/16 at 12:19:25

Air filter!check out Oldfellers air filter,(I think it's in the tech section ) as good  or better than K&N ,can be made for about ten bucks and requires less up keep.(I just cleaned and oiled mine this spring after two years and 9,000 miles!)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:33:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight pipe? Baffle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.