Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
A mid-sized bike for short people (Read 887 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: A mid-sized bike for short people
Reply #75 - 11/09/16 at 09:20:51

VN 750s have fairly common issues with stators and rectifiers going sour, sometimes requiring  "pull the engine" type fairly expensive repairs.    Also has known issues with drive shaft splines not being properly lubed by the factory (wearing out as early as 10,000 miles) and some early cam chain tensioner issues as well.

Other than that, the bike was fine.   Gives you things to check out thought, whenever you go bike shopping .....

Lookie at what is mounted to the luggage rack on my old Savage ......

I had a subsequent thought on the transfer of gas from tank to tank when parked on a hill.  

Roll Eyes

If I just remember to cut off the main tank petcock -- it  ALL  stops moving, no transfer either to or from main tank is possible at all.     Unless I have a leak of some sort or another, nothing goes anywhere when the normal petcock is cut off.  

Still thinking I need to have a small tank cut off anyway, though.

« Last Edit: 11/11/16 at 09:11:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20161110_200241.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: A mid-sized bike for short people
Reply #76 - 11/11/16 at 08:59:42

Well, I started working on the plumbing from the two (2) gas tanks joining them with a "T" that leads directly to the fuel filter.   Both the fuel filter to carburetor line and the conjoined in-feed line from the two tanks are mocked up in the picture below.

Right now I am still waiting on the brass "T" which is inbound from China along with the cheap Chinese shut off valve for the back tank.

Smiley   I am also doing some curiosity research on some other liquid fuels to put in the top tank that could possibly give a short term HP boost to the Savage when mixed around 50-50 with gasoline .......    

Wink

I also visited my third  (#3)  separate Kawasaki VN750  and none of them (not a single one) had proper output from stator/RR system.    I think I am giving up on the model as a bad bet for any long trips or long term good use.

Shame, that .....

« Last Edit: 11/13/16 at 06:09:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20161111_114712.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:26:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › A mid-sized bike for short people