Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
A mid-sized bike for short people (Read 887 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A mid-sized bike for short people
Reply #15 - 10/29/16 at 08:20:48

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CMX450

Good Luck. A bike with that list of "wants" may not exist.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #16 - 10/29/16 at 08:42:12

This is as close as I can find in this area....  
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/5850918807.html

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/29/16 at 10:29:51

The Pathetic Coast is a great bike.....as long as you are not upset by the scooter looks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #18 - 10/29/16 at 12:21:35

Dave wrote on 10/29/16 at 10:29:51:
The Pathetic Coast is a great bike.....as long as you are not upset by the scooter looks.

Pacific Coast........who was it that made those........Maytag? Huh

With the extra storage, it would make a good tour bike.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #19 - 10/29/16 at 12:32:30

Actually the "Pacific Coast" is/was a pretty good freeway flyer for smaller people,(or larger people too.)  The worse thing about them is the lack of "macho" image that appeals to Hardly riders and Serowbot.....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/29/16 at 17:18:18

With the requirement for a shaft drive (or belt), low seat height, low weight, 80 mph cruise....15" rear tire with wide rim, and a $ 1,500 budget, I am afraid you won't find anything that meets all those standards.

You could update your Savage to meet most of those needs without too much of a cost.  A 94mm Wiseco could get you a bit more power, and with the Kawasaki pulley conversion you could drop the rpm down and make the bike capable of cruising at 75 mph without too much of an issue.  It would not be too hard to put a wider 15" rim on the back of the bike.....just a new rim and maybe some new spokes.  And maybe some upholstery work to make the seat more comfortable for you, and maybe a shock upgrade to get a better ride.

The other bike I think would be a good fit for you...is the Vulcan S.  I sat on one about a month ago, and it felt really nice.  It is chain drive and a 17" rear rim...and I doubt you can get one for $ 1,500 yet, as the  first year of production was a 2015 model.

About 6 months ago my neighbor had his Volusia 800 for sale for $ 1,400 and I posted it on this forum....and it was a steal at that price.  He had mounted aluminum wheels so he could run tubeless, and it had fresh Michelin Commander tires, a windshield, and he had put the shaft drive from the larger Volusia to cut the rpm down at cruise, and I think the bike only had 7,500 miles on it.  The seat height was low, and the center of gravity was low - but it still was a bit heavy....but pretty easy to move around with the low seat height. It was a typical V-Twin cruiser.....it was limited in how far you could lean in the corners!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 10/29/16 at 18:10:51

Maybe one of the smaller viragos.
They are shaft drive. Top out around 100. smooth engine. Don't know about the others but the 535 has 28" seat height.
140/90-15 rear 3.00 x 19 front. All up weight on the 535 should be about 430. Dry is 401. Can be had in good condition around your price range.

Dunno if your thinking v-twin or not.  Just a suggestion.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 10/30/16 at 06:35:57

A Virago might be a good choice.  Looking at the Cincinnati Craigslist shows that there are a few nice ones for $ 3,000, and a number of beat up ones for much less - but there was one that looked to be in good shape for $ 1,500.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5834683020.html

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 10/30/16 at 06:42:39

I recently owned a Virago 535 and it had the "old bike" syndrome to the point that it was a lot of trouble to fix up and keep up with.   Yamaha has NO NEW PARTS FOR ANY BIKE OVER 10 years old.  

I just passed up on a Kawasaki that gave out that same sort of vibe -- lots of very major known issues and how to laboriously fix them -- again --     Tongue  .

I like the Vulcan S, but it must be a right good bike because there are none of them on the used market and the selling price of them just went up $2000.

But, once again it is a liquid cooled bike that is 500 + pounds wet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #24 - 10/31/16 at 04:12:29

You just hit on my big sore spot with Yamaha. But, they do have parts.  They just don't make any parts for anything over 10 years old and they won't service it.

They still have parts for my '73 80cc dirt bike.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #25 - 10/31/16 at 05:48:08

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/28/16 at 15:31:20:

At least 750cc or more, it has to have at least 55-60 ponies and over 35 ft/lbs of torque.

Belt or shaft drive, no chain slinging greasy muck stuff.

Standard riding position or cruiser position only.   No crotch rocket crouch please.

Ease of maintenance says hydraulic valves, please.

Can't weight over 500 pounds, please.

I only got $1500 to spend on a bike right now, so that is a somewhat serious limiter too.

AND it would be nifty neat if it used a 15" tubeless rear wheel so I could continue to use them cheap arsed immortal rear tires, except they would fit on the rim better.

This list just seems way too particular and with a lot of things that just don't go together well. High CC, cruiser, and shaft drive tend to go against the weight limit. Low / ease of maintenance go against your $1500 limit.

Raising your price limit by $500-$600 is going to get you a much nicer bike that probably already runs well and won't need maintenance right off the bat. Most of the bikes that I see that are $1500 or less have little disclaimers about how they "run rough once they warm up", or "just need a little carb work", or "ran the last time I tried a couple years ago."

Also, don't get too set on the CC limit. Different style motors handle rpm in different ways. Look at the recent post by Dave. He's taking a 250cc bike on a 6 hour interstate trip. I just picked up a Ninja 650 and it's as smooth as can be on the interstate too.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/31/16 at 06:03:10

Actually, all of the specs came from a VN750 Vulcan I was considering, but I was surprised by by the bike by how much it masses wet when I was expecting 489 pounds and I actually got 560 pounds in reality.

Weight and mass are something of interest to me now, today I go look at a $1500 Barcalounger that weighs in at 600 pounds just to see how far my limits can mentally and physically stretch.  

Both Dave and MM keep a long distance bike ..... mebbe I should too.

MM wants to go places ..... and his idea of how far is pretty durn far both for the trip and for today.   Dave is the same way, he likes to ride.   I'm going to up the mass ante in my mind to see what kicks out.

Issue with both is they like to go too slow (semi-legal) in strange places.   And it is all too strange for going out busting Hurleys.

Speaking of busting Hurleys, you do remember the White Whale up on the Dragon that passes everybody all the time?    Passed us too, although we all fought, we couldn't stop the silent White Whale from easing on by.   I wasn't insulted at all, really, I admired his skill more than anything else.

Grin

Which do you think would be more insulting to Hurley riders, being passed by a Granny sickle or being passed by a White Silver Whale?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 10/31/16 at 09:18:29

I wonder how hard it is to find a Kawasaki Eliminator in the 400cc size.  It appears they stopped making them in 1994.  It appears the Vulcan replaced the Eliminator series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Eliminator

https://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/5811319041.html

Shame you don't want a 125...this looks like a nice one - cheap!
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5792188807.html

Here is the ZL400...54 HP, Shaft Drive, 423 pounds, 150/80-15 rear tire! (But that simplicity of the Savage is gone....4 cylinders, 4 carbs, water cooled).

Kawasaki_ZL400_86.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #28 - 10/31/16 at 09:29:10

Reminds me of the old joke (that's actually true):

Customer: I need it fast, cheap and with high quality

Sales: You can only pick two of those

Your list is too specific, especially with a $1,500 ceiling as it puts you into RatBike or rode-hard-put-away-wet territory.

For what it's worth, and it's a bike that's been mentioned already, I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (VN750) some 20 years ago. It was a great light (relative term) cruiser.  Mine was a 1986 model, but I think they were unchanged for most of their production.

Shaft driven, low seat height, liquid cooled, 66hp, 47 lb-ft torque, weighs around 500 lbs, 50-60 mpg, can be found in the $1,000 to $2,000 range all day.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 10/31/16 at 10:20:38

Went to look at a bike, finally got to see the title and it was not titled to the man selling the bike.

It was a 1100 cc Goldwing and was a nice touring bike, but it was TOO MUCH bike, way to much bike.

Mike want to get him a 4.5 gallon gas tank on his bike so he can go longer distances on his Savage.

Hmmmmm .......   accessory tank could add the same capacity, mebbe.    Pop it on for a long trip, pop it off for the mountains.

Lemme ask 'ol Yoda about what he thinks about an accessory tank, what with all his Jedi mastery and force tricks and all .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:39:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › A mid-sized bike for short people

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.