Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
New Shocks for my RYCA Cafe Racer (Read 1197 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
New Shocks for my RYCA Cafe Racer
10/27/16 at 19:20:52

I've never liked the shocks that came with the RYCA kit. They are over sprung, under dampened and only provide 2 inches of travel. I've been looking at various solutions and have considered them all; everything from the $1,000 range RaceTech, Ohlins and Fox Podium Shocks to low buck Chinese knock-offs of the aforementioned shocks for less than $100. I couldn't bring myself to try anything in the upper end and figured why bother at the low end.

I was doing some research one day and came across a forum where CB350 cafe riders were discussing various shock options. The discussion turned to made in china RFY and TEC shocks where people (who never tried them) said they were junk and others who have used them said that they actually aren't bad. Further research brought me to a Triumph forum where there was the same exact discussion. The difference with this discussion was someone with significant experience with high-end shocks actually took apart the RFY shocks and compared them to Ohlins. As suspected the RFY shocks are copies of the Ohlins, and it turned out good copies too. The poster noted that a good setup could render serviceable shocks. Doing some research on the poster I came across his website, CL Mototech. There the poster, Chris, had details on RFY and TEC shocks. His reviews are honest and complete; if something is crap he points it out and if something is well built he also shows why. Check out his website at https://chrislivengood.net/wp/clmototech/

You will see that Chris sells custom built shocks from RFY shells. I provided Chris with the particulars (weight of the bike with and without me at the front and rear wheels) and some other information on the bike and Chris built me custom shocks for my bike for around $200.

The shocks measure 340mm eye to eye (about 13-3/8") and have 2-3/4" of travel; 3/4" longer then the shocks supplied by RYCA. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a significant difference. The springs installed are dual-rate 80-100 lb-in and seem well matched to the bike. These are the lightest springs Chris carries for the RFY shocks and are well suited to a 300 pound bike with a 175 pound rider. I believe that Chris reworks the shim stack in the damping circuit for the weight of the rider and bike.

I've only ridden these briefly, but they make a huge difference. The shocks, together with my custom forks, provide a balanced and comfortable ride.  I have yet to set the static and race sag for the shocks and then reset my figures for the forks to compensate for the reduced rake and trail from the longer shocks. And I probably won't get to it in the coming weeks because my bike is getting torn apart to finally get paint.

Here are some photos.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Shocks for my RYCA Cafe Racer
Reply #1 - 10/27/16 at 22:44:02

Thanks for the review.  I wasn't aware of this company, but that's a bargain price for decent shocks.  If you get any more feedback or ride time, please  let us know how you get along with them.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/28/16 at 05:55:23

They look good , time will tell if they a good deal !
I just have to say it , can't help myself, you all know what I'm goin say !
You get what you pay for !!!
I hate being so negative/truthful  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 10/28/16 at 06:02:19

My research backs up what Gary found.  Good shocks if you are willing to service them (they can be serviced!).  It's a good idea to change the oil right away.  I read stories about low oil and/or possible manufacturing debris contamination being the only real issues.

You can get these really cheap on eBay if you know what you are looking for.

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #4 - 10/28/16 at 06:18:14

Very nice stuff!!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 10/28/16 at 06:55:29

The increased travel is accomplished through a longer shock so the rear of the bike is raised even more? I'm curious if there's a point where the geometry gets screwed up with the swingarm needing to be at such an angle.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 10/28/16 at 08:09:39

BSTON wrote on 10/28/16 at 06:55:29:
The increased travel is accomplished through a longer shock so the rear of the bike is raised even more? I'm curious if there's a point where the geometry gets screwed up with the swingarm needing to be at such an angle.

I think I read somewhere that the RYCA conversion with the 18" front wheel results in a rake of 28 degrees. Taking some quick measurements I believe that my bike was in the 26-27 degree range. Raising the rear an additional 3/8" probably puts me into the solid 26 degree range. As a point of reference, my SV650S has a rake/trail of 25 degrees and 100mm (3.9") - so I think I'm still in a good place.

The softer spring rate and proper damping adds compliance to the suspension and should make the bike more stable then what I had; great forks and nearly a hard tail. There's no doubt in my mind that I have the best riding, most plush suspension of any RYCA conversion.

Something to consider; my bike is chain driven. Raising the rear an additional 3/8" has the chain making contact with the swingarm - unloaded. Fortunately I don't run the bike unloaded. With the 18/52 sprockets I'm right on the edge of needing to go 18/5X to ensure clearance. Not a big deal for me, but it may be a deal breaker for a belt driven bike. I don't know what the limits are for that system.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 10/28/16 at 08:25:31

You may not ride your bike unloaded, but it will unload while riding it.  You might want to look into adapting a "chain slider" to your swing arm.  

Something like this might work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pit-Dirt-Bike-Chain-Slider-Guard-Rear-Swingarm-Guide-...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 10/28/16 at 08:29:38

Or this guy might work nicely on our swing arm.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 10/28/16 at 08:42:50

Since I'm taking the bike apart for the winter I was going to review that. It's not much of a concern as it barely makes contact. Tightening the chain slack back to 25mm would probably do the trick as would adding a few teeth to the rear sprocket. I'm going to install an o-ring chain this winter, so I'll see how the clearance looks as it all comes back together.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/28/16 at 08:53:50

Not that we can readily change the pivot point of the swing arm, but the stock config is designed to put the center of the drive pulley in line with the rear axle and pivot point of the swing arm.

So could you raise the back end of the engine in the frame?
Or would lower the swing arm pivot?

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 10/28/16 at 09:49:22

verslagen1 wrote on 10/28/16 at 08:53:50:
So could you raise the back end of the engine in the frame?
Or would lower the swing arm pivot?

It wouldn't be too hard to rotate the engine forward. It's just a little welding at the rear mount and creating a new bracket at the head.

But in the end it's not necessary. It's not that big of a change and it can be managed through simpler adjustments.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 10/28/16 at 17:38:22

Thanks for the info!
I bought the longest RYCA shocks just to have something. Didn't delude myself that  pair of $200 shocks would be amazing.
I'll use them for a while and see.
Nice to know there are other options. The Wilburs on my R65 were upwards of $800. Not really wanting to throw that much $ at the ass end of the Savage.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 10/29/16 at 13:52:51

You said you updated your suspension thread Do you mean the forks piece in the tech section?
thanks

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 10/29/16 at 18:15:30

A couple updates...

I put about 60 miles on my bike today. I wasn't intending to, but the bike rides so good I just couldn't get off the thing. It really rides that well. I purposely rode over some of the worst roads I could find. The shocks have had a transformative effect on the bike and my enjoyment of it. There are a few known bad spots where I would have to stand on the pegs to get my butt off the seat because it was so jarring to the bike and me. Today I didn't even have to slow down for them. I love these shocks.

340mm is too long. First the chain makes contact with the front of the swing arm when braking or going over very bumpy surfaces. Secondly, the rake has been reduced to a point where the front end feels too light. But here's the good news; Chris included a second set of lower adjusters in the box that allow me to adjust the range between 320-340mm. 13 inches is 330mm, so I'm good to go. I dont know how I missed these, but as I was cleaning up my work bench they fell out of the box.

I didn't take the time to dial in the sag yet and the shocks could use a little preload. 2-3/4 of travel worked well as I never bottomed the shocks. The 80-100 in-lb springs work well on this bike. The more compliant shocks make the modified forks feel even better. There's a really nice balance to it all.

If you are thinking of building a RYCA kit, ask them to not include the shocks and buy these instead. If you already have a cafe racer and are unhappy with the ride, these are the $200 magic carpet ride.

« Last Edit: 11/01/16 at 05:56:51 by Gary_in_NJ »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:42:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Shocks for my RYCA Cafe Racer