MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Oxygen Sensor
10/19/16 at 21:18:48

O K .

Does any one know how an Oxygen Sensor works ?

So the Harley has a diagnostic function in its computer.   There is an Oxygen Sensor on both exhaust manifolds .   On my way to Oklahoma this summer the motor started running a little ruff.   Well , I tried injector cleaners , and different spark plugs.   Still runs ruff.  Fuel millage is down a little too (48-52 now --- 52-58 before).   So , the Diagnostic code thing says the rear Oxygen Sensor is running Rich.  

I pulled the rear O Sensor and mounted it loosely in the vice , then heated it (gently) with a propane torch while a Volt meter was hooked to the two wire leads.  "Zero" volts cold , I went up to .34 volt testing it with  mild heat.  

The real question is :  If I put a spacer in to back the O Sensor back out of the the exhaust flow a little --- then the sensor will produce less voltage .   So should that elevate the running rich problem ?

Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oxygen Sensor
Reply #1 - 10/20/16 at 02:55:18

An oxygen sensor looks for any remaining oxgen in the exhaust stream.  Heat is part of the process.....but you can't take the reading from the torch as meaning anything - as the sensor was trying to read the mixture being provided by the torch flame/fumes.

You might try moving the sensors around and see if the rear cylinder is still the problem child - if so.....it is probably an injector that is going bad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 10/20/16 at 06:35:09

You know thats not a bad idea ! (switch-en  around)

I thought it might be like adjusting the Oxygen/Acetylene torch --- as in the more Oxygen = hotter flame.    Being the more Oxygen in the exhaust flow the hotter it is , but I'm only guessing about how those things actually work.

One thing for sure is : the hotter it gets the more voltage it produces .    Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 11/03/16 at 19:52:33

Dave you may find this hard to believe :

So I did switch the O2 sensors around ... no effect

I put the adapters in to space the sensors back away from the exhaust flow ... fuel millage went up a little but the roughness was still there.

Next I put a pair of 12" shorties mufflers on it and the roughness disappeared ... and to my surprise its not much louder ???  Cool
also :   The old mufflers and conecting bracket weighed close to 50# and the pair of Shorties weigh less than 5#  Smiley  I loss 45# in one day !!!  Grin

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/03/16 at 20:00:47

maybe you had the same problem I had.
the muff are burnt out and the half the baffles are clogging up the others.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 11/03/16 at 20:23:50

I believe your right Versey , at the time the Roughness started I was on the Super-Slab running 75-80 ish for 150 miles strait  (4.5 gal.tank),  things had to be petty warm inside there !    Grin

You know what ... its not fun riding that fast , but you know how it is when ya got a long distance to cover .   Tongue

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/04/16 at 08:36:04

There you go. Textbook example of muffler bearings going bad. Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/04/16 at 09:25:33

Got a pic?... Where did you get the shorties?
I'd really like to lose a few pounds off my Sporty... Cool

I've also been known to scrape the stock muffies in turns... very scary... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 11/04/16 at 19:47:23

I'll see if I can hunt up the internal baffles I used , but in short they are the "tune able" ones off ebay  .  

Mufflers are 1.75" one end / 1.5" other end

Two baffles meet in the middle with a homemade connector pipe and baffles are fastened on each end as designed.

I'll take "more detailed" pictures if ya need them.  Smiley

Effective action for when : Textbook example of muffler bearings going bad   Grin

« Last Edit: 11/07/16 at 21:20:10 by MMRanch »  

Shorty_Mufflers_HD.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 11/04/16 at 20:03:52

original mufflers had a connector bracket between mufflers.

original_mufflers.jpg

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/05/16 at 07:46:17

If you could find a link,.. Cool
I found these, but they don;t look the same...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-SPORTSTER-CHOPPER-CAFE-RACER-TWIN-CHROME-SHORT...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 11/05/16 at 09:38:35

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

Are those one piece pipes all the way from the heads, or are they mufflers on the stock headers ?

How are they supported with the OEM bracket/crossover pipe gone. Just hanging off the end of the header, or is there some kind of bracket that I can't see in the pics ?

I'd like to loose that bracket/crossover on my Sportster too, but most of the slip ons that I've seen need it, and the full systems are too expensive for me.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 11/05/16 at 17:57:50

Yea guys that's the same mufflers
I'm won't be home till Monday afternoon for more pictures ,  but
The original heat shield covers the 1.75" end.
The rear  mounting bracket goes to the rear foot-peg.
The front mount goes to the mid-mount peg holes Kiss
Also
I put a 1\4" bolt through the connection of: muffler-clamp , muffler , and header-pipe / all three layers , just to make sure they can't come off  Smiley.

The connector pipe is heavyer than both new mufflers put together Smiley

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 11/07/16 at 21:06:19

I know most anybody could come up with a better mounting system , and I might do something different after thinking about it for a while but :

For the front muffler

First idea I had on mounting these mufflers are these.

I welded a group of nuts together to make a really long nut for the front mount , then mounted the "supplied" mounting bar to the mid foot-peg frame holes with enough bar left over to reach the stud on the muffler.   Then put in the nut column on muffler then a bolt from the bar.   Hope the picture makes it more clear.  Roll Eyes

1107161618b.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 11/07/16 at 21:11:06

OK

The rear :

I welded a "L" bracket on the end of the Supplied Mounting Bar to reach the rear foot peg.   Hope the picture shows it good.  Roll Eyes

Under the "Heat-Shield" (from the top) is a 1/4" short bolt threaded through all three layers of Muffler-clamp , Muffler , and Header Pipe  Wink just for added insurance against muffler blowing off on the road (both front and rear).   The internal baffle is the weakest link in the chain now !  Cool

Versey , You rode my Sportster up at Daves place for a bit ,  don't know if you noticed the vibration that was going on then --- but its all gone now !  Smiley

Don't  base your Sportster point-of-view on the way it felt then . its back to its "Old-Self" now  Cool

1107161619a.jpg

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:35:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oxygen Sensor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.