Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st gear making loud clicking noise (Read 86 times)
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1st gear making loud clicking noise
10/18/16 at 12:33:04

when i put my bike in 1st gear it make a loud click noise is this normal 87 savage ls650....other gears when shifting are fine

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 1st gear making loud clicking noise
Reply #1 - 10/18/16 at 12:36:53

If you mean the "kachunk" when you are in neuatral, pull in the clutch, and then put the bike in 1st gear - yep......normal.

It wouldn't hurt to check your clutch adjustment....the lever should have a small amount of movement without any resistance (like 1/8" at the point where the lever meets the mount at the cable adjuster)....beyond that point is should start to pull on the clutch springs so that it is fully released when the lever hits the hand grip.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/18/16 at 12:54:11

Dave wrote on 10/18/16 at 12:36:53:
If you mean the "kachunk" when you are in neuatral, pull in the clutch, and then put the bike in 1st gear - yep......normal.

It wouldn't hurt to check your clutch adjustment....the lever should have a small amount of movement without any resistance (like 1/8" at the point where the lever meets the mount at the cable adjuster)....beyond that point is should start to pull on the clutch springs so that it is fully released when the lever hits the hand grip.

i have right hand jockey shirt on my bike.....ive just notice that when i put it in 1st make a loud...well loud enough i can here it sitting still..click sound...the clutch feels good and releases good i dont feel no slipping   and the other gears when shifting and smooth with aliitle sound not like 1st gear

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 10/18/16 at 13:16:39

Try pulling the clutch in and waiting a couple moments before you drop it into gear. Gives the gears time to stop turning and in the case of my 4 speed '86 at least, is the difference between a loud clunk and a nice slide into first.

IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/18/16 at 14:59:09

gizzo wrote on 10/18/16 at 13:16:39:
Try pulling the clutch in and waiting a couple moments before you drop it into gear. Gives the gears time to stop turning and in the case of my 4 speed '86 at least, is the difference between a loud clunk and a nice slide into first.

cool thanks ill try that

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/18/16 at 15:06:57

When I first got my bike (it was my first bike) mine did that really bad, and I figured out that despite us needing our idle at a decent level mine was really high. Once I got the idle set properly it minimized the "clunk" though it still does it.

Like suggested by gizzo, I just wait and let the engine speed settle a little and them shift.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 10/18/16 at 16:02:47

My Savage didn't make near as much clunking going from neutral to first as my son's Harley Sportster. That thing made a tremendous KA-CHUNK-CLUNK. I don't have a lot of experience with Harleys, but I understand they make a lot of noise going into gear.

IP Logged
Chris H.
YaBB Newbies

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 10/18/16 at 16:47:40

Very typical with Harleys. My Ducati did too, not as bad as the Harleys. I don't mind it.

'03 Savage, soon to be bobber.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/18/16 at 17:06:40

If you try to go into 1st too slowly, you will get a series of clicks before the gears mesh...
Try to be more authoritative...   Cool

It also don't like going into 1st at any speed faster than a baby can crawl... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/18/16 at 17:22:21

This nosie is at a stand still like take off....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1st gear making loud clicking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.