Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Question about petcock (Read 408 times)
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: Question about petcock
Reply #30 - 10/31/16 at 04:28:24

How many years/miles were on your bike when it failed?

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 10/31/16 at 05:51:46

I replaced one for a local rider about 2 months ago.  Her bike stopped on her while she was out riding, and by using the PRI she was able to make it back home.  Her bike is a 2009 model - but it evidently sat on a dealer floor for a very long time, as she bought it new in the summer of 2015.  It has less than 1,000 miles on it when the petcock went bad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #32 - 10/31/16 at 07:33:25

My 2008 started failing in 2015 at about 6000 miles. I replaced the diaphragm and things seem pretty good since then. I (maybe the only on on this forum) prefer the stock petcock because I like that it has less of a chance for flooding.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #33 - 10/31/16 at 09:16:52

It sounds like the diaphragm rubber is a "maintenance" item like tires, batteries etc.

If I don't change my battery I will come to a morning when the bike won't start.
If I don't change my tires I will come to a point where I have a flat.

Sounds like there is nothing inherently wrong with the stock petcock - it just needs servicing...
preferably before it fails rather than after.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #34 - 10/31/16 at 09:25:10

Maybe using a gas additive would prolong the life of it, like marvel mystery oil. It may keep the rubber from getting "dry" or stiff and lubricate everything else in the fuel system.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 10/31/16 at 10:32:37

Redryder652 wrote on 10/31/16 at 09:25:10:
Maybe using a gas additive would prolong the life of it, like marvel mystery oil. It may keep the rubber from getting "dry" or stiff and lubricate everything else in the fuel system.

Most likely the ethanol is causing the diaphragm to fail - some rubber parts are sensitive to ethanol.....this appears to be one of them.  Bikes that are ridden regularly don't seem to have the problem as much as bikes that sit for extended periods, and folks who live in area where the fuel does not contain ethanol don't seem to have the issue.

The big pain in the but....is that the symptoms often lead folks to look in other areas for ignition or carb problems, and it sometimes "needlessly" strands folks.  Everyone that is using the stock petcock should have a rubber vaccuum cap and a golf tee in the tool kit.  If the bikes acts up and starts running weird, pull the vacuum line off the carb and put the rubber cap on, shove the golf tee in the vacuum hose, and switch the petcock to PRI....and see if the weird symptoms go away.  

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/31/16 at 11:51:00

Good suggestion, Dave. A topic-specific application of the K.I.S.S. Principle.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 10/31/16 at 13:38:09

The bike won't leave you stranded,and what Dave said about the golf tee and plug is great advice .what bugs me is that some failures tend to occur at speed due to the lower vacuum on the petcock caused by more open throttle settings (read DANGEROUS!) an event on the Mass.turnpike where my bike died at 70 mph while passing an 18 wheeler,with several cars behind me, was 3yrs and 9,000 miles ago ,but with the Raptor I'm assured that it will never happen again!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 10/31/16 at 14:09:46

That scenario is just flat scarey, Batman. Glad you're still around to write about it!

« Last Edit: 10/31/16 at 18:08:22 by Rodger »  
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/31/16 at 14:23:50

Papa Bear wrote on 10/31/16 at 04:28:24:

Bought new in 2012, started occasional sputtering +800 miles, completely conked out just over 1,000 miles. Turned to PRI to get home. Already had the Yama petcock, as forum members advised (warned) to expect it. About $30, easy fix. I now believe the (GOVT mandated) ethanol in the gas is the culprit, as S40 owners in other countries don't seem to have the problem.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/31/16 at 14:37:47

HAPPYDAN wrote on 10/31/16 at 14:23:50:
Papa Bear wrote on 10/31/16 at 04:28:24:

Bought new in 2012, started occasional sputtering +800 miles, completely conked out just over 1,000 miles. Turned to PRI to get home. Already had the Yama petcock, as forum members advised (warned) to expect it. About $30, easy fix. I now believe the (GOVT mandated) ethanol in the gas is the culprit, as S40 owners in other countries don't seem to have the problem.
Y'know, Batman, you may be on to something. The sputtering began when under hard acceleration, which causes the manifold vacuum to drop significantly and suddenly. Then roll off the throttle, and the vacuum goes way up again, the engine gets gas again and away she goes. Remember the vacuum-actuated windshield wipers on the Vietnam-era Jeeps? Same thing. Overall, it's just a dumb idea to save lazy people an extra step in the start-up process. After the new petcock, it never happened again.

« Last Edit: 11/01/16 at 15:46:50 by HAPPYDAN »  
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #41 - 10/31/16 at 15:21:40

Papa Bear wrote on 10/31/16 at 09:16:52:
It sounds like the diaphragm rubber is a "maintenance" item like tires, batteries etc.

If I don't change my battery I will come to a morning when the bike won't start.
If I don't change my tires I will come to a point where I have a flat.

Sounds like there is nothing inherently wrong with the stock petcock - it just needs servicing...
preferably before it fails rather than after.

The problem with that approach is there is no way to tell when it's about to fail. A petcock isn't something that should need regular maintenance. Other bikes with vacuum operated petcocks don't need regular service and they don't have the failure rate of the Savage (as far as I know). I'm convinced it's a design flaw that the company could fix with a better diaphragm. Just like they could easily fix the cam chain tensioner. Until they do make the petcock more reliable, which I really don't think is likely, I'll use the Raptor petcock for safety reasons.

If you get ready to ride your bike and your tire went flat overnight it's pretty obvious. If the petcock decides to go bad overnight and drain the gas from the tank through the vacuum hose, you may not notice.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #42 - 11/07/16 at 13:26:43

Anyone have a link to a genuine source of Raptor 660 petcocks?

My stealership wants to charge me a fee for bringing in a atv part when they don't sell atvs.

I remember a few years back folks were getting knock off sent to them. I'd like to avoid that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 11/07/16 at 13:34:35

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 11/07/16 at 13:35:16

Any online distributers selling OEM parts would be guilty of fraud if they sent you aftermarket part instead of the part you ordered.

most if not all of the comments were directed at fleabay purchases.

so order the original yammi part
Quote:
This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:31:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about petcock