Send Topic Print
Question about petcock (Read 408 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Question about petcock
10/17/16 at 12:53:54

I have a question for all, I just want some opinions, I also have the raptor 440 valve, when you guys put your bike away for the night, do you set the valve to off, or do you leave it where it is? I try to turn mine off but many times I forget. I've also never had float issues, should I be worried of gas in the oil? I know it's very bad, but how likely is it to happen? And how would I know?

Thank you in advance everyone, RedRyder.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Question about petcock
Reply #1 - 10/17/16 at 13:09:42

I try to remember to turn mine off all the time.  Best idea is to establish a habit of reaching down and turning off as you pull into your neighborhood or head up a long driveway; some place where it becomes habit.
As far as the float sticking, ya just never know if/when it may happen which is why I try to always turn off the domesticated male chicken.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/17/16 at 13:19:46

I also TRY to remember to turn mine off.  Doesn't happen very often though.  I'm old.. I forget stuff.

If the float fails (valve, seat, o-ring) and you did not turn if off, you will get gas going everywhere.  Airbox, crankcase, etc.

If the float fails and you DID turn it off, at least you will get the sort of early warning of running VERY VERY RICH and smellling gas so you can get it turned off before the other bad things happen.. or at least not as much.

I don't think there is a way that you can burn enough gas to keep the level in the bowl at the right level if the float is not doing it's job.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 10/17/16 at 13:20:27

I always turn it to the OFF position. I don't allow the carb to drain prior to putting it in the OFF position, buy I do let it idle for about 15-30 seconds while the bike cools down.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/17/16 at 14:35:21

Redryder652 wrote on 10/17/16 at 12:53:54:
I have a question for all, I just want some opinions, I also have the raptor 440 valve, when you guys put your bike away for the night, do you set the valve to off, or do you leave it where it is? I try to turn mine off but many times I forget. I've also never had float issues, should I be worried of gas in the oil? I know it's very bad, but how likely is it to happen? And how would I know?

I hope you meant 660.  not sure if it's the same or not, but ours has the 5/16" outlet lets less likely to vapor lock.

Yes, turn it off.  In fact I turn it off every time I get off of it, gets to be a habit that way.
Good, you don't have float issues now.  That can change any minute.
There's always a little gas in there.  An ounce or 2 is normal from blow by and such.  
But if your sight glass turns black one day... time to change.

WWW   IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #5 - 10/17/16 at 15:13:40

verslagen1 wrote on 10/17/16 at 14:35:21:
Redryder652 wrote on 10/17/16 at 12:53:54:

I hope you meant 660.  not sure if it's the same or not, but ours has the 5/16" outlet lets less likely to vapor lock.

Yes, turn it off.  In fact I turn it off every time I get off of it, gets to be a habit that way.
Good, you don't have float issues now.  That can change any minute.
There's always a little gas in there.  An ounce or 2 is normal from blow by and such.  

Yes I meant to say 660, now when you say if it turns black, are you saying it would happen very quickly and abruptly?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 10/17/16 at 21:27:47

If you forget to turn it off,you should check your oil level before starting .which is a good habit ,as wellas checking lights tires brakes etc. before your first ride of the day.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/18/16 at 05:03:56

I don't turn my petcock off during the stops I might make while on the ride - but I do turn it off at the end of the day.  There is an intersection about 1/2 mile from my house, and when I pass it I turn the petcock off.....and when I hit my driveway the bike is running out of fuel.  By doing this I don't have much fuel in the carb to gum up or corrode things if I can't ride for an extended period.

If your tank is clean, and your carb is working as it should - there won't be any fuel flowing through the carb....but things can happen and it is best to get in the habit of turning the petcock off when you are done riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 10/18/16 at 07:22:29

I know I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.

I always turn my raptor off at a certain distance from home. The bike is starting to go lean by the time I get to my house. I never leave it on except for very short stops. The float valve, as has been mentioned by others, will be well off the seat which I think is better than leaving the float chamber full.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/18/16 at 07:50:05

I'm rolling like Dave on this one.  My habit is to leave it on during "ride time" and turn it off for storage. And I always check to make sure it's on before I put the bike in gear.  

This is an old habit I have from my motocross days.  I would always check the petcock before riding and several times at the starting line if I were racing.  To the point of being obsessive compulsive.  I'd check it ten times in 2 minutes or something silly like that.  lol

Running out of gas on the road doesn't worry me much (though I'd rather not in traffic), but on the track always worried me.  Running out of gas or mechanical failures were always on my mind when jumping.  

Unfortunately, my worst fears were realized when a kid I watched grow up racing passed in an accident.  He was down south practicing one winter about 10 years ago.  A good rider who would qualify for a few AMA Pro Supercross and Motocross events every year.  He took a break and forgot to check the petcock before he went back out on the track.  His bike cut out on the face of a triple jump and he didn't make it.  He was a little younger than me, I think he was just 27 when he passed.  Sad day.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #10 - 10/21/16 at 21:04:25

Hey I just changed filter once and my oil TWICE (it looked dirty after the first one, after 3+ years of low mileage and no changes).  I filled it to  halfway in the glass when vertical and engine-off.  What is the normal level on the sightglass?  

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/21/16 at 21:43:38

ero4444 wrote on 10/21/16 at 21:04:25:

Hey I just changed filter once and my oil TWICE (it looked dirty after the first one, after 3+ years of low mileage and no changes).  I filled it to  halfway in the glass when vertical and engine-off.  What is the normal level on the sightglass?  

Oil turns black when there's a little bit of carbon in it and it don't hurt it none.

What I meant by that comment is, check it daily.  if one day it goes from half way to all black so you can't read the level, then you got gas in it and it's over full.

WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #12 - 10/24/16 at 19:13:58

thanks, now I get what you meant.

Also, after I wiped off the sightglass then I saw the high/low level marks on the frame of the glass. Never noticed them before.

I read the glass by putting the stand on my left foot when the bike is vertical, and noting the pressure on my foot.  Then I lean down to the right, adjust the pressure for "vertical" on my foot and read the glass, and it feels safe since the bike position is transmitted clearly to my foot and both feet are on the ground.  I could not do it on a taller bike.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #13 - 10/30/16 at 05:05:47

I am just new here, so new, that I haven't even ridden mine newly purchased used one yet (other than the test drive before purchasing it).  I was wondering what the positions of the petcock are.  Obviously, RES means Reserve, ON means On, but what does PIC (if I remember correctly) mean?  It is the last usable position so I am assuming that this means OFF !!

Am I correct?

Also, years ago I worked at a Honda dealer.  Once, a guy came in who had forgotten to turn off his petcock.  His crankcase was plum full of gasoline!

Turn it off every time you park your bike!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/30/16 at 06:04:26

The OEM petcock is vacuum-controlled & has 3 positions: On, Reserve, and Prime (PRI).There is no "off," since the vacuum diaphram in the petcock shuts off the fuel flow when the engine is off and not pulling vacuum. The Prime position is used to allow fuel flow into the carburetor without vacuum being present, say, after one has drained the carburetor for storage or maintenance.

Many long time Savage/S40 owners report fuel flow problems with the OEM petcock and suggest a replacement with a Yamaha non-vacuum petcock. I bought my S40 new last year, so I haven't done this modification yet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:28:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.