Fool for high tech... (Read 130 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Fool for high tech...
10/16/16 at 19:09:54

Well, I am wanting to train for licensing for drones... I don't care where or what position I will get. (not the military ones)
I know the future will be full of them one way or the other, either automated or manned keyboard/joysticks.
And it is a job anyone can do with dedication and a lot of flight hours/practice.
I figure around here it will be fire control (locate hot spots), realty ads for large plots (the rich folks), commercials for businesses, news stories, search and rescue, and possibly surveying those places where wheeled vehicles cannot reach. (yeah businesses buy swamp areas).
So I have ordered the newest of the new DJI drones... the Mavic Pro...
This thing can fly up to 4 miles away..... I won't be testing that, but will be testing its ability to navigate tight places (it has sensors like the new cars for distances to near objects)
Oh... the thing that got me interested was a buddy used to inspect radio towers.... guess what they will be using in the future?
We will not all be healthy enough to "tote that bale" in the near future...so I am figuring at least I could still be somewhat employed Smiley
I'll post again once I have recieved it and possibly a few videos .... once I have mastered it... oh I have flown a few small ones that did not have the tech this one does.... and crashed a few too... but I'd rather practice a few times with this one before attempting anything far out Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Fool for high tech...
Reply #1 - 10/17/16 at 06:31:46

old_rider wrote on 10/16/16 at 19:09:54:
Oh... the thing that got me interested was a buddy used to inspect radio towers.... guess what they will be using in the future?

Folks are already doing this! I almost went to work for these guys last year (they're in the adjacent city) but it wasn't good timing for me.

http://www.itctalon.com/

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #2 - 10/17/16 at 07:06:00

I have a friend who uses his DJI Phantom 4 drone for real estate listings.
He was flying it confidently with only an hour's practice.
He charges other realtors for his photography service and estimates that
the drone itself will be paid for in about 3 months.

You might want to check out Skyward for your licensing and support needs.

Skyward Website:  https://skyward.io/

Happy flying and good luck with your new venture, old_rider !

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 10/17/16 at 14:05:52

My Bro in law does the real estate thing, too. Has done some filming for local yacht racing and stuff too. Had to go through lots of hoops to get licenced to do that work in Aus. he has a DJI Pahntom 4 and a DJI Inspire. He's never done RC beofre this but he's quite good with the quad. Utterly useless at flying with his thumbs though.
Good luck, old rider. Hope it works out  Cool

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 10/18/16 at 03:59:47

I've only used the cheap ones like the UTI and Parrot drones but after just 10-15 hours of practice, I could fly them around trees,  and land it on top of a standard sized briefcase. I would love to use some that have the POV systems, but haven't gotten quite that fancy yet.

From everything I've read and seen, it sounds like a REALLY lucrative business. Good luck, old rider!! Definitely post some videos as you learn to maneuver the thing. I'd love to see them.   Cool

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/18/16 at 12:03:57

Mythbusters did a segment on
Can a drone cut your jugular vein?

They built the neck and head of ballistic gel, with the necessary
Fake veins, I think, and used various types of drones, nothing, even the 25pound? six or eight rotor that uses the hard propellers like a model airplane did more than create a small abrasion,, but,,this guy Says otherwise,,, that they can and will go full on medieval on a pinkie finger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photo-trevor-bauer-drone-injury-finger-playoff...

I have a scar from when a guy let the rudder go on a plane with an Enya 35 wound out and ready to fly, and it didn't Cut me, but hit me 8 times and just abraded the skin, like a good road rash.

IDK quite what to believe..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 10/18/16 at 13:30:00

A guy I fly gliders with is missing 3 fingers because someone knocked the throttle open on his  electric powered glider while he was fiddling with it. He would be unimpressed by mythbusters effort. I bet they didn't do the experiment and stick their own body parts in. Was pretty cool when Adam put his hand in the molten lead tho.
I've been tagged by a few low speed (10x4) park flyer props on my own scratch build quad (drone if you must) and it does more than scratch. yesterday I accidentally stuck my finger in an alternator fan and only got a fright and a trimmed fingernail.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/18/16 at 13:44:34

A guy I fly gliders with is missing 3 fingers because someone knocked the throttle open on his  electric powered glider while he was fiddling with it.

Frikken YIKES!
Tater Tots down!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 10/18/16 at 14:39:21

His nickname is Emu Fingers cause his paw looks like an emu's hoof.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 10/18/16 at 17:17:33

I did learn that you cannot "sell" your video to a business... you have to be "hired" by them and have the license to do that.
I'm reading up on all the laws and licensing... lawyer giberish... and might actually have to ask my "team" to help me.
I pay a monthly fee to keep a retainer.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #10 - 10/18/16 at 23:22:17

old_rider:

When you say you have to be "hired", does that mean you have to be placed
on the payroll as an employee ?
If so, doesn't that limit the plans you have to sell your aerial photography to
the various businesses you listed in your first post ?
Or would you just have to "hired" by a company that sells aerial photography
services to clients ?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 10/20/16 at 18:04:03

By law you cannot sell your video outright.
Most of the folks I know get around that with the loop hole of being a "contractor" and are hired to do a video.
You don't sell your video (you give up your rights to it), but sell your "services" as an aerial photographer.
You still have to abide by the FAA and Unmanned Aircraft Systems laws..
If you just want to fly one.. all you have to be is over sixteen and follow simple "safety of flight" rules
If you want to "work", there are other tests and regulations you must pass and abide by.
There are "Airmen Certification Standards" that must be followed.
FAA-S-ACS-10
and of course "sub" regulations
To determine that the applicant is knowledgeable in the general regulatory requirements of
14 CFR part 107.
and a few dozen other references that I am currently bending my brain around.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #12 - 10/20/16 at 21:58:01

Thanks for the explanation, old_rider.
I didn't realize that the FAA regulations were so detailed
It will be interesting to follow the course of the FAA's enforcement in the
coming years as tens of thousands of these little drones take to the skies.
Best wishes on your endeavor !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/21/16 at 02:05:15

You USED to have to have a chauffeurs license to drive people around,, that is the only rule, regulation, law,whatever, I've seen just suddenly no longer enforced against the citizens.

I flew RC airplanes, and was quickly able to land and take off.
Some people just can't get it done. I would think a quad copter would be pretty easy.

Too bad mythbusters is over,, a picture and details about the motor and propeller, and maybe they would have to try that test again.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 10/22/16 at 05:45:18

Got 38 minutes? watch this.... this guy is very informative on all his reviews of drones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er14AtwT59k

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 15:01:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fool for high tech...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.