Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Loud pipes? I dunno
Reply #15 - 10/15/16 at 05:14:17

JOG,
Your numbers are WAY off. Hearing loss starts at 85 db.
120db is enough for permanent hearing loss.
Remember, db numbers aren't linear, they are logarithmic.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/15/16 at 05:31:58

It's a C and P, but no, I didn't know.. I totally HATED the DB part of school in the AF..  I was okay until they got to
Negative DB,, then my brain raised an eyebrow and said
Huhhh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 10/15/16 at 05:50:51

So, years ago a bud (good kid, crazy as a bedbug, president of the local chapter of Dykes on Bikes) picks up a used Honda with a Kerker 4-1 pipe on it. Always like Kerker stuff. Easy way to drop 10 or 20 lbs off a 70's or 80's Japanese bike. They offered a few different baffles ranging from their DBAE (decibels and emissions-meaning quiet and didn't have to rejet) to their full competition baffle.
She shows up with the bike and it has the full competition baffle in it. I could put my fist in the ass end of the pipe. I tell her it is so bloody loud that I heard her coming from blocks away. She swears it isn't really that loud and that she likes the sound.
At the time I was helping a few friends at the races and had an AMA Roadrace Mechanic's license. Had rolled a fair share of bikes through AMA Tech Inspection.
I drag out my AMA Roadrace Mechanic's license manual and go to the part about sound regs. Set up a decibel meter like they did in tech, and check the bike. It reads 120 db. Over the limit for AMA Superbike. Try to explain to her that she couldn't race the bike at Daytona, much less be riding it on the street.
"It's not that bad!" she kept protesting.
Told her she couldn't come back to visit as long as she had that pipe. Had no reason to piss off my neighbors. Heard her many blocks away as she rode off into the sunset.
Eventually she 'got it' and now rides quiet bikes and rolls her eyes when someone with a really loud bike blasts by Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 10/15/16 at 06:08:19

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #19 - 10/15/16 at 06:22:29

Dave,
That was PERFECT!!
Thanks  Grin

The other day one of the new guys at the garage was asking about changing the pipes on his bike to something a lot louder. I pointed to a few of the bikes parked there with REAL loud pipes and referred to them as 'small thingy specials'.
Waddayamean, he says??
Told him it was an easy way for losers with small dicks who are stuck at the point in early adolescence where you feel you are the center of the universe and crave attention, (and lack the introspection to realize that), to be noticed.
Blank stare....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/15/16 at 06:31:30

I live 2 miles from a divided highway, and I can hear open pipe bikes (and semi trucks) from that far away.  Kinda' ruins the peace and quiet that exists out in the farm area where I live.

I don't like loud pipes, and the DYNA on the Savage is just about perfect.  I also don't like Sport Bike riders that pull in the clutch and open the throttle and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter......shows a complete dis-respect for the engine and the people around them.

It makes absolutely no sense for factories to keep choking the exhaust/engine sound down - when some owners run open pipes and ruin the motorcycle image for all of us.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/15/16 at 06:36:39

That was So worth watching. It's not Just funny, it's so accurate in how I see the way some people think.

How does it Run? Well, bottom end and mid range are from gutless to crappy, the top end is pretty good, but BoyHowdee
Izzit LOUD! Just like I wanted..
The Supertrapp with 14disks was pretty loud, but I didn't get ugly looks, it suited me and the riding style at the time.
I'm really digging the Dyna,

Wanna KNOW what drivers hear?
Some cars are like the
Cone of Silence
from Get Smart. Most arent.
Sit in thecar , AC going, radio on, and let a friend ride by.
He won't be running hot, accelerating, because he's watching an imaginary car in the left turn lane and you, driving out of your driveway, instead of sitting at a stop sign,

Being Visible is the First defense.
When I have someone showing me they want to turn left across me, I flip the light high and low and change lane positions, back and forth, anything but being in a straight line.
The horn MIGHT get a buzzard outta the road. I've honked at cars I could've kicked,  and saw no sign it was heard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/15/16 at 07:32:09

A Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor put it like this: "Ride like you're naked and afraid." Naked, you have no steel cage to protect you. Afraid, always assume cars are out to get you and be prepared to take evasive action. And, DON'T daydream or get lost in the euphoria (I do sometimes!) and, especially in the summertime, keep eyes on the road and not on the girls (that can be a tough one!). IMHO, all that noisy pipes do is make us look like bums.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 10/15/16 at 08:57:18

I really don't mind loud pipes...within reason...I also like electric bikes which basically make no noise
The worst for me in the Wild West out here are the diesels with super loud exhaust and tuned to throw out a cloud of black carbon on demand...
I think they call them coal burners...
I call them losers

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 10/15/16 at 10:24:59

We've got a lot of those down south too. But, then again, we've got a lot of mosquitoes. Sometimes diesel smoke ain't half bad!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 10/15/16 at 11:36:37

I don't relate loud pipes with safety , but is does help to be heard !
But too loud is nothing but annoying to everyone in a earshot near you !
When I build a bike I want to feel power and hear the power but not so loud to annoy everyone !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 10/15/16 at 13:48:08

Ruttly wrote on 10/15/16 at 11:36:37:
I don't relate loud pipes with safety , but is does help to be heard !
But too loud is nothing but annoying to everyone in a earshot near you !
When I build a bike I want to feel power and hear the power but not so loud to annoy everyone !!!

Are you building yet ?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 10/16/16 at 08:51:56

Lancer, Still need to finish seat & paint on the tracker when winter sets in. Next project a Honda tlr200 Reflex after that BSA vintage flat tracker. However I am collecting parts for next savage project,just missed one for 600 bucks. I always have something in progress !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #28 - 10/18/16 at 17:05:48

Don’t really care for Loud Pipes, for everyday driving.
Sometimes, enjoy them on Custom bikes.  Sometimes.

Live next to a tar Co Road, it is, ‘THE’,  road to go between two small towns, which I live about in-between.
So usually on nice Sat’s & Sun’s, I Hear, ‘Music’,  Then  Really  LOUD  Pipes.
As I am 200 +/- yards away, I just stop and watch the eye candy.
As 50 - 150  Harley's, drive past.

But In Town, in a  Residential area. Those who drive with  LOUD, pipes,
are Just like the DFI’s, who shoot at  Signs, in Public Hunting areas.

They make anybody with a Motorcycle, (or gun), look Bad !

Their was one time. The fellow I worked with at a Gun Shop, passed away, (Agent Orange), he drove a full dress Harley, with, ’normal’ pipes.   He was also a member of a local bike club, which is a rather, ‘exclusive’, club.
His wife, didn’t want a, ‘funeral’, so she had a , “party”
Was driving my XT-225 then,  (Can you say Monkey riding a peanut),
Had a 20”,  12g, ’coach’, old style, hammer, shotgun broke down, tucked in the back..
I was one of the first their.

Then The, ‘Exclusive’ bike group came. Don’t think there was One of them, that cost less then $20,000.00  and  MANY at $30,000.00, and Some, ‘Orange County’, ones at  50,000.00 +.  

I Literally Had to put my fingers in my ears, as  70+  Bikes, came,  ‘ROARING”, into the drive.
( A Suburban House on Lake Minnetonka, MN)
BUT  WHAT   EYE   CANDY   !!!!!!!

As the group was milling around having a beer and brats,  Loud Music, Loud talking,  I went to the front yard, Fired a Shot over the lake, broke the firearm, (Side x Side,  12g,  3 “,  Black Powder), turned, and addressed the crowd.   (You could have heard a Pin Drop in a  Plowed Field),  “Butches Ashes,  Yada Yada Yada.”.  Then turned and fired the other,  (VERY LOUD and SMOKEY) Shot.   Everyone Cheered and ‘Whooped’…  

About a hour later the group, of, MC’s that came, all fired up and Left.

It was a  SUPREME,   Tribute,   Supreme  !!!!

However, the people living a  mile + Away, as they had to go 3 miles before they hit a  ‘major’ road.
Had me wondering.

As in This part of town,  ANY   ‘LOUD’,  group,  and  ANY,  ’Shots Fired’,  would,  IMMEDIATELY have been a call to the Police
  None EVER  showed up.   (They  KNEW).    The ‘Police’  never came their.    

But what of the other, 100 +  People,
Who did NOT know of this, ’Tribute’,   What did they think,?

((“Oh Ya,  a Bunch  of  MC  People,  why are all,  A.H.’s”))

As a side note,  While the people that came, Most knew me, and I knew most of them,
NEVER ONCE, they EVER, ‘comment on the, XT-225, I was driving’.
CLASS   ACT !!!!!!

Loud  Pipes.  their is,  a time and Place,
And that, ‘place’ is not Everyday driving.
 (My Opinion)

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 10/18/16 at 18:01:13

MnSpring wrote on 10/18/16 at 17:05:48:
NEVER ONCE, they EVER, ‘comment on the, XT-225, I was driving’.
CLASS   ACT !!!!!!

Real riders couldn't care less! 2 wheels are 2 wheels!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:16:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loud pipes? I dunno

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.