Loud pipes? I dunno (Read 351 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Loud pipes? I dunno
10/14/16 at 13:22:35

Been riding my suzi for probably 5 years...put about 15000 miles on it during that time and one of the first mods I did was to replace my muffler with one of a pair I bought on e-bay.

I'm never seen them since but they were called "DynoPower" pipes...kind of a Dyna knock off but definitely different (when you look down the pipe it has a big section of the inner pipe bent up for back pressure and then a whole buncha can opener like openings like a normal aftermarket baffle) anyway the exhaust note is pretty aggressive and quite loud...

I got really used to that pipe and it gave good performance but sometimes I longed for something with a more pleasant tone so I bought a nice dyna off a member here last week and installed it just like my old one (no adapter, just slid it on with some gasket material to make it snug and clamped her down).
WOW what a difference! Way quieter than I was expecting but still a nice low rumble.

I always kinda liked the way my old pipe sounded and the fact that anyone within a block could hear me coming (made me feel pretty secure that cagers knew I was there!)
So today I ride to work with the new pipe and I'm actually enjoying the fact that my head isn't resonating with the thunder of the old pipe.
I'm thinking... "I could get used to this"

At lunch I went for my usual ride up the canyon near my work to just try her out...as I'm approaching an intersection with a green light I notice an oncoming car in the left turn lane (something I'm always aware of) and another car in the intersection to my right...

Well, the car to the right just starts pulling out right into my lane. It happened really fast (going about 40) but I pull the clutch, hit the brakes and for the first time my rear tire starts sliding sideways. I countersteer to keep it upright and going somewhat straight as I slide through the intersection approaching the gals front quarter panel...
Thankfully the tire squealed as it was locked and she looked over like
"where did you come from?"
I gave her an astonished look like "what the hell are you doing?" (maybe 2 feet from her window at this point) and steered around her front end...

At the next intersection she was over one lane from me turning left and BOTH the gals in the car were on their cell phones!

Now I'm wondering if I might just go ahead and put the loud pipe back on...I have never had any problems with people not knowing I was there with that pipe...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Loud pipes? I dunno
Reply #1 - 10/14/16 at 13:39:14

Good question.
Here's my take:
The vast majority of bikers die in my state going straight through an intersection, with the approaching car turning left into them.
In that case, the bikes pipes are aimed away from the oncoming car. And the car prob has the windows rolled up. And the radio on. And the person is talking or texting.
So, loud does nothing.
I learned how to ride in 'Heaven's Waiting Room', AKA Florida. Average age was dead. Most couldn't hear, see, or have any reaction time at all.
Learned REAL fast that you never count on others hearing or seeing you. Just ride like they are trying to kill you.
Rode for decades with no ear plugs (no one wore them), shot lots of guns with no hearing protection (no one wore them), operated lots of loud machinery in shops with no hearing protection (n one else did).
The hearing aids I bought 15 years ago were about $3K for the pair.
Not great
Stopped wearing them. When it got to be almost impossible to function, I went back for new ones last year.
This pair retail for almost $8K. And they work pretty well. Wish I didn't have to wear them.
At the place I used to teach Motorcycle Maintenance, a guy had an older Triumph with basically no mufflers. I had to stop talking until he was a block away the bike was so loud. Last year a car ran him over and crushed him dead. Guess the car didn't know that "Loud pipes save lives".
NYC has almost passed a night time ban on bikes because of the morons with straight pipes.
Short answer:
My bikes are quiet. I just assume people are assholes and trying to kill me. I'm rarely disappointed. Lately it seems that a huge percentage of folks are texting while driving. Doubtful they'd hear a loud pipe.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 10/14/16 at 13:47:55

Thanks Armen,
I ride as though I'm invisible because for the most part I am...I just thought it was weird that the first ride I go on with my quiet pipe is the first time I've had this happen...

I'm going to keep the pipe on for now but I do notice that when I have my loud pipe on (it's not a straight pipe) I often see the drivers looking for where the noise is coming from...

Not sure if I want to keep dodging people but I suppose it could have been a coincidence too  Undecided

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/14/16 at 13:50:51

I have often wanted a horn that was directional. So I could look at the one I wanted to wake up and push the button and it would just knock them over. So far, the only thing I have been able to figure out is a pistol, but that would require a hand and that's not a good time for letting go of the handle bars,,
Glad you survived.
The kill switch can make a backfire..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 10/14/16 at 13:53:33

LOL
Yeah, my other pipe just requires a quick flick of the wrist to backfire...LOUD!
This new one won't even backfire when I shut down...not even a pop

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/14/16 at 14:05:39

Glad you made it out alright, Bubba!

When I first started riding I wanted a loud pipe for being heard, but after I got used to riding I realized it didn't matter. A$$hole drivers are always going to be a$$hole drivers.  Not to mention that I think a really loud pipe on a bike that someone wants on there just for the sake of being noticed makes the rider complacent.  Just because you WANT it to make people hear you doesn't mean they DO hear you. Some people are just oblivious to the world and wouldn't flinch if a truckload of dynamite went off next to them....probably because they are playing with a phone.

I pass every car and every intersection as if I am playing 'frogger' and everything is about to pull out and hit me, and if I make it through the obstacles it's a good day!

Never rely on external forces (aside from the required headlights, stop lights, turn signals, etc.) for people to see and hear you so you can let your guard down and relax.  If you're relaxed when you ride in traffic, you're getting too complacent.

Ride safe!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 10/14/16 at 14:08:13

Bubba,
The other thing to consider is that your loud pipe drowns out noises that you could be reacting to.
I try to take responsibility for my own existence. I realize that is a very un-American attitude, but it seems to work for me.
I also believe that my right to swing my fists in the air stops at someone else's nose.
I've never met a non-bikie that said they likes the sound of a really loud bike.
The noise standards on new bikes have happened primarily because of the loud bikes that are on the road. At this point the sound levels are so low that the sound of the air passing over the fins of an air-cooled bike is an issue.
In the 70's when the Kustom Signals KR111 radar guns came out and were thousands of dollars, it only took a few court cases to establish that radar guns held up in court. Then every town bought them and turned speeding tickets into a major cash cow.
My guess is that as soon as one town establishes a simple way to noise check bikes, the practice will spread like wildfire. Imagine how many places a cop could sit with a decibel meter (and sound truck, or whatever they need to prove the case).

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 10/14/16 at 14:10:24

Stewmills said:

Never rely on external forces (aside from the required headlights, stop lights, turn signals, etc.) for people to see and hear you so you can let your guard down and relax.  If you're relaxed when you ride in traffic, you're getting too complacent.

Well put.
Note, this is from guys who are still alive.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/14/16 at 14:24:15

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again. You have three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and where possible, the big gap all around you. Everything/one else is your real or potential enemy. Your exhaust system won't make a difference, unless you can fart foully enough to drive other animals/humans away from you.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 10/14/16 at 14:29:27

If only we could ride around in these...

IMG_1856.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 10/14/16 at 14:48:08

Thanks for all the input...I guess I have grown complacent over the years that's probably why the rumble of my old pipe was making me feel secure...
I must say though that even my non biker friends thought the pipe I had on there sounded great!
These are not a buncha thugs and ruffians either...just regular old suburban folks...Believe me I've heard much louder pipes from the Harley crowd than my pipe was.
I do appreciate the input and I'll probably ride it with the new pipe but up my awareness a notch even though that won't change how folks drive...
Rubber side down!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/14/16 at 15:02:59

WWW   IP Logged
Mr.T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tega Cay, SC
Reply #12 - 10/14/16 at 18:02:09

Could not have said it better than Armen. I just picked up a 2001 Savage with a Supertrapp muffler that had no muffler discs. The PO's wife said she could hear him coming three blocks away. So, kinda a straight pipe with a little packing. Even when I got it going ( spark, carb, etc...), I would not fire it up until I sent for some discs and installed them. I did not want to buy earplugs for myself and all the people on my street . Also, I don't feel like letting the police know I'm coming their way to ticket land. Bad enough around here riders.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/14/16 at 18:06:29

Human discomfort starts when a sound hits 120dB, well below the LRAD's threshold. Permanent hearing loss begins at 130dB, and if the device is turned up to 140dB, anyone within its path would not only suffer hearing loss, they could potentially lose their balance and be unable to move out of the path of the audio. The device is also entirely operator dependent, which could lead to serious ramifications if the officer in charge doesn't have sufficient training.

Considering that they have yet to teach them to NOT push the Tazer button 47 times, or to stop shooting after the only movement is Caused by the bullets,  I don't really trust that..

Bwaaahhhhaahhaahhaa,,  look at em squirm!!!

Hey, look, the ones in the middle are bleeding from the ears!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 10/14/16 at 19:38:47

Armen wrote on 10/14/16 at 13:39:14:
I just assume people are assholes and trying to kill me. I'm rarely disappointed.

Amen, brotha!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:35:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loud pipes? I dunno

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.