IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Dies under load
Reply #61 - 11/01/16 at 15:15:54

That's great! Sometimes a seemingly simple problem can be hard to diagnose.

I'm sure you learned a lot from the experience. Carbs seem to be simple but as we all know can be a bit tricky. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #62 - 11/03/16 at 16:31:29

Did we forget to mention it might be the float level? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #63 - 11/03/16 at 19:26:05

Yep.  I do believe there was a Suzuki Savage Super Hero that did mention the float level a time or two.  Thanks Batman

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #64 - 11/03/16 at 19:58:00

I'll just step up and say
Im shocked..
The description of what it was doing just didn't make me think that was it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #65 - 11/03/16 at 22:18:33

I still think it was something electrical and fuel related.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #66 - 11/04/16 at 05:28:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/03/16 at 19:58:00:
I'll just step up and say
Im shocked..
The description of what it was doing just didn't make me think that was it.

It was the description of a smell, repeated over time, that was the tip-off. Electrical issues smell once, and then things shut down permanently (when the magic smoke escapes).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #67 - 11/04/16 at 07:13:06

the tipoff for me was wet filter, removing the screen under the float valve,carbon fouled plug ,then wet plug,bike stalling as soon as the throttle came off idle,all can be caused by to high a level in the float bowl.he also had gas in his oil,the bike idled (must have had spark& compression) but stalled when throttle was opened ,what changed?(fuel!) the throttle opens allowing a slug of gas in ,but not enough air to support combustion ,(the slide is just starting to open),bike stalls ,wet plug ,funny smell(unburnt fuel,gas fumes coming from the oil into the air box,or out the muffler?) take your pick.the only other think changed was the jets 52.5/152.5 in the ballpark for sea level.logic ,to me said the only factor that could cause all these things was a flooded float bowl. the final clue,"going down hill the bike seemed like it was running bad but didn't stall " the float is pivoted to the rear of the bowl ,the floats toward the motor ,heading the bike down hill shifted the fuel level forward under the floats causing the float valve to be at it's most closed position,stopping or slowing flow into the bowl dropping the level just enough so that the bike didn't stall.

« Last Edit: 11/05/16 at 12:43:17 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #68 - 11/04/16 at 09:54:52

I'm really not sure what the cause or cause(s) were for the mystery start-run-die problem.  Since it would sometimes do it and then days would go by where the bike ran perfectly.  I ended up changing out the connector to the coil (I originally used a cheap connector when I installed the tach), I soldering the coil wire in with the battery cable (it was originally crimped in), checked electrical connections and safety switches, battery is new and tests excellent under load.  I had changed the jets and needle spacer a couple months ago and did notice the needle appeared to be slightly bent. And the plug was coming out more black so figured it was running rich.  Changed out the needle, the needle jet (thinking it may have been scared by a bent needle), and moved back down to a 50 pilot jet.  Put it all back together and then it started flooding into the air box.  When I had the carb apart I cleaned everything again including the float valve.  While taking the float out I dropped it, didn't appear like it was damaged, but it let me know it was.  So, I ordered a new float and pin, took the carb apart again installed the new float and pin and it the bike ran perfect.  However, I haven't had a chance to ride the snot out of the bike yet.  This weekend I will.   Smiley

Could the whole problem have been attributed to float level?  Possibly, since I never checked the float until after swapping it out.  Which was the last thing I did.  I'm just glad it's running!  Thanks to everyone that contributed!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #69 - 11/04/16 at 18:48:16

If you fixed it and fixed it and it kept doing it, it was the Last Fixed it that Fixed it..

And thanks to the folks who explained Why they saw it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies under load

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.