ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dies under load
Reply #45 - 10/21/16 at 07:51:43

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 10/21/16 at 05:44:42:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/21/16 at 02:15:58:
I've never seen gasoline cause a stench.

Running a proper 12:1 to 15:1 (WOT to cruise) mixture results in an exhaust temperature (at the first 3 to 4 inches of down pipe) in the range of 1150 to 1300 degrees F. When the mixture starts to go just a little lean, say 17:1 to 20:1 you'll see temperatures in the range of 1500 to 1700F. In this range the coating on the pipe begins to burn and smell. Beyond 20:1 the engine will begin to shut down due to fuel starvation, but if the mixture is hovering around 21:1 head pipe temperatures will be around 2000F, and you will smell things burning.

I had an old Jetta back in the 80s with a clogged catalytic converter.  The car smelled like a big electrical fire!  

The reality is that none of us know what the real issue is and we won't know until the OP figures it out.  Sure, someone will be "right" but we're all just making educated guesses at this point.

I normally go to the last place I (or the OP) was mucking around (the carb) and rule that out first.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #46 - 10/21/16 at 08:11:51

I would ignore smells at this point...You have been idling and revving a lot, trying to figure out what's wrong,... smells are bound to show up.

Have you tried bypassing both the sidestand and clutch cut-outs?...
Just jumper the 2 wires at the lever and under the seat.
I think it's the clutch cut-out...
Even if it isn't,.. knowing gets you closer... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #47 - 10/22/16 at 20:16:13

Update... checked the coil, 4.8 ohms on the primary side and 22,000 on the secondary.  So that's not it.  Tore the carb apart, replace the needle cause the other one was slightly bent.  Put a new filter on the float valve housing, cause I left it off the last time I ventured into the carb.  replaced a few other things that came with a complete rebuild kit.  put it all back together, started her up, she ran fine for 12 seconds, then died.   Shocked

First thing I did was to check the spark.  Pulled the plug wire, put another plug in and plenty of spark.  So that's not it.  OK, now I'm thinking all this engine needs is spark, fuel and air, right?  got spark,  got fuel, I'll check the new K&N air filter.  No idea how it could be clogged, but what the heck, I'll check it.  Then I smelled fuel. Filter was clean but fuel was filling up the filter housing.  WTF??   Angry

Already have a Raptor petcock so that's not it.  Pulled the plug and it's wet.  The only thing I haven't already changed out in the carb is the float and float pin.  Every time I've pulled the carb apart I shake the float and listen for any fuel inside the floats.  Always dry.  They look OK and the pin appears fine.    

I don't think this is part of the original problem, But at this point I'm open to every freaking weird ass thing that could drive me crazy chasing this freaking phantom.  I need an old priest and a young priest.  

Thinking I should buy a motorcycle so I have a motorcycle to ride while I'm working on a motorcycle.  Or, take my 12 gauge and unload it on this cursed bike.  Think I could collect insurance on that?  Claim the bike committed suicide?

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #48 - 10/22/16 at 20:51:58

Troubleshooting requires methodical testing and experience to rely on. If you don't have experience with carburetors or electrical or engines in general then, chances are you are overlooking something important. You should try and find a member in your area with experience and pay him to fix it.  It's almost impossible to give you the exact answer on here. To many variables. Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 10/22/16 at 21:28:01

A timing light with induction pickup on the plug wire will tell you if you suddenly stop putting spark To the plug.
And that is what im thinking is happening.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #50 - 10/22/16 at 22:16:06

You set the float height? It's important !Too high floods the carb. gas flows into the air filter and the plug gets wet .too much gas ,not enough air won't support combustion.Foat height is1.06 to 1.14 inches (you hold the carb upside down and measure from the carb body to the bottom of the float,adjust by bending the tab that the valve hangs from.Don't blame the bike for your hearing problem.

« Last Edit: 10/23/16 at 10:09:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #51 - 10/23/16 at 11:07:24

Thanks for the float height info Batman.  This is the second time the carb flooded like this since I changed the petcock to a Raptor a couple months ago.  So that takes the petcock out of this equation.  Other carb parts have either been swapped out or cleaned and I might have buggered the floats up in one of the previous tear downs.  It'll be another week before I'll have time to rip into it again.  I'm not giving up, yet.

In yesterdays tear down I did notice the negative wire to the coil (black & white), which runs directly to the battery negative post cable, was merely crimped in with the battery cable and poorly done.  Lots of loose strands.  So I soldered it all together into a new fitting.  Hoping that was the cause of the occasional mystery start-run-die problem.  Which started this whole thread.  

When it died yesterday the first thing I thought of was a safety switch might be messing with me.  So I pulled the plug wire, inserted another plug and had plenty of spark.  Then put the plug wire back on the inserted plug and no start.  That's when I noticed the flooding issue.  Pulled the plug, which is brand new, and it was dripping wet.  

Perhaps this whole mystery was caused by off kilter floats  Huh

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #52 - 10/23/16 at 17:52:50

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 10/13/16 at 13:44:08:
I'd also check the float height.

This was mentioned 10 days ago. A misaligned float can cause the bike to flood or run lean. It's an extremely simple check and easy to remedy.

The soaked filter is probably a result of the needle and float. How does the needle valve seat look?

« Last Edit: 10/24/16 at 05:30:21 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #53 - 10/23/16 at 19:04:10

Have you made sure the o ring in the needle seat is good? If it's not, fuel can go that way and bypass the float needle. I've seen that one a couple times. Doesn't cost anything to check.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #54 - 10/24/16 at 07:06:23

From page 195 of the Clymer manual:

"Inspect the end of the float valve needle (Figure 38) for wear or damage. Also check the inside of the needle valve body. If either part is worn or damaged, replace as a set. A damaged needle valve or a particle of dirt or grit in the needle valve assembly will cause the carburetor to flood and overflow fuel.

Regarding the Float height:

Page 196 of the Clymer manual, Float Adjustment paragraph 5:

Adjust by carefully bending the tang (Figure 53) on the float arm. If the float level is too high, the result will be a rich fuel/air mixture. If the float level is too low the mixture will be too lean.

According to Table 1, Carburetor Specification, on page 208, the float height should be between 26.95 to 28.95 mm (1.06 to 1.114 in.) resulting in fuel height in the bowl of 6.5 to 7.5 mm (0.256 to 0.296 in).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 10/24/16 at 08:21:31

Arcreefer wrote on 10/23/16 at 11:07:24:
T That's when I noticed the flooding issue.  Pulled the plug, which is brand new, and it was dripping wet.  

Perhaps this whole mystery was caused by off kilter floats  Huh

Yes.

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #56 - 10/24/16 at 09:27:46

Thanks for all the feedback!  I already replaced the float valve needle and body with new and blasted the carb body with brake clean.   The only thing I haven't done to that part of the carb is check & align the floats.  I purchased new floats and float pin from Partzilla.  Rather start off with new, get it all aligned and not have to rip into the carb again for a while.   Wink

Could be a couple weeks by the time I receive the parts and have time to tear the carb apart again.  I'll Let ya'll know how it goes.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #57 - 10/24/16 at 13:23:57

Make sure you aren't trying to run Ethanol. It will overflow and run like crap. I don't know what fuel is like in Ha.? Huh

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #58 - 10/31/16 at 17:37:39

BIKE BE RUNNING!!  Posting a pic from after the test ride after the final carb intrusion.  It had been raining off & on so she's a bit muddy.  Replaced the float and float pin.  Still can't believe that was the entire problem.    

my_bike_007.jpg
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #59 - 10/31/16 at 17:59:39

Glad you got it fixed.  

Floats can be wierd.  By the time you get it out of the carb, the gas has had time to either leak back out or evaporate out of the float.
Best way to check if the float has a leak is to submerge it and watch for bubbles.

See, you can do it.  There's all the help out here you need to get you where you need to be.  But, though it may sound dumb at the time, you need to do everything you're asked to do so that nothing is overlooked.

Congrats...now, go riding.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies under load

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.