Dies under load (Read 719 times)
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Dies under load
10/13/16 at 11:56:30

Having an occasional yet repeating problem.  The engine dies when starting out from a stop.  I just start moving from a dead stop, 3-5 seconds later, blub, blub, blub, dead. Starts up after a little cranking, idles perfect, revs in neutral perfect, holds a higher rpm in neutral perfect, put her in gear start going, dies.  

However, after going through this start, go, die, cycle several times, the engine then runs perfect.  Did a hundred miles on her a couple days ago absolutely no problem.  Today... start, go, die about 7 times then she ran perfect.  Usually happens in the morning right after she warms up and I start out for the day.  But, she has done this to me after riding for an hour.  Always after I stop and then go, blub, blub, blub, dead.  And it doesn't happen every day.  Just occasionally.  

I've torn the carb apart a couple times in the last month, thinking it must be a carb problem.  Everything appears to check out.   Any ideas?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Dies under load
Reply #1 - 10/13/16 at 12:14:48

Possible bad petcock or vaccuum hose going to it
Put petcock to prime and see if problem goes away

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #2 - 10/13/16 at 12:22:16

I replaced the stock petcock with a Raptor a couple months ago.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/13/16 at 12:26:13

Arcreefer wrote on 10/13/16 at 12:22:16:
I replaced the stock petcock with a Raptor a couple months ago.  

did you plug the vac line?

Did you rejet?  what jets?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/13/16 at 12:32:04

When did it start having the problem?
Did you replace the petcock, hoping to solve this problem?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #5 - 10/13/16 at 12:55:22

I've only had this bike since June.  It's was stock 2011 with 9,500 miles when I got it.  I replaced the stock petcock with a Raptor after the original diaphragm went a couple months ago.  At the same time, I also capped the vacuum nipple on the carb and re-jetted.  Jets:  150 main, 50 pilot, half spacer on needle.  Installed new float valve, 1 3/4 turn out on mix screw.  K&N drop in filter and Dyna.  

Started having this problem about 3 weeks ago.  Just weird. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.  At that point I was also having problems with poor performance in low to mid range.   I took the carb out a couple weeks ago cleaned everything again and swapped the 52.5 pilot with a 50.  Improved the low-mid range and didn't initially have the die under load problem.  Now it's doing it again, just the die under load problem when I go from a stop.      

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #6 - 10/13/16 at 13:31:19

The part that's really tough to figure out is why is it doing this only sometimes?  

Other times it runs great all day.  Most of the time when it does it, it's when I first start out in the morning, but I warm it up first.  It's also done it to me after an hour of riding.  And after a few attempts and sitting and holding a high rpm (3,000+), it then runs great.  

Fuel's clean, plugs good, carbs cleaned, but sometimes going from a stop it just dies whether I pull in the clutch or not.  Then starts right up after a little cranking.   Undecided

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #7 - 10/13/16 at 13:43:03

Question... How much fuel should be coming out of OEM Raptor fuel petcock?  

I've unhooked the fuel line from the carb and opened the petcock to see.  Not as much fuel flow as I would expect.

But why would it idle fine, sit in neutral and rev fine, hold high rpm in neutral fine, put it in gear and go for 3-5 seconds and die from what sounds like fuel starvation???  

Yea, I'm just thinking out loud now  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 10/13/16 at 13:44:08

Check for an air leak between the carb and the head. A loose clamp may cause a vacuum leak under load that isn't there with a light load. I'd also check the float height.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 10/13/16 at 13:49:02

Did you pull out the bush the float needle fits in and clean the little screen? May as wellchchange the o ring while you're in there.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #10 - 10/13/16 at 14:03:50

Make sure the spark plug is clean and gapped properly. Make sure it is tight when reinstalling it. Check your compression release cable for proper adjustment. Sounds like low compression or a weak spark.

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #11 - 10/13/16 at 14:24:07

Gary - I'll check the carb to head link tomorrow.  I know the clamp is tight, but an air leak there would make some sense except why it would only do it sometimes??  What's the best way for leak testing there?

Gizzo - I actually removed the screen from the bottom of the float needle housing when I rebuilt the carb a couple months ago.  Didn't replace it.  Seems like I'd be having problems idling or revving in neutral if that were the problem.  Only happens when I go from a stop. Dies in a few seconds as soon as a load is on.  And doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes.  Always idles great, even runs and sounds great at higher rpm in neutral or with the clutch pulled in.  let the clutch out and she's dead in a few seconds.  doesn't matter whether I'm on the flat, on an incline or decline.  Which I find really weird.  She'll do it if I start from a stop going downhill.  Very little load.  

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #12 - 10/13/16 at 14:39:19

Savageman - I tried changing the plug.  No difference.  And this is an intermittent problem.  Doesn't happen every time.  And when she's decided to run, she runs great.  

The compression release... She idles fine, revs fine, let the clutch out and blub, blub, blub, dead.  Doesn't matter if I pull in the clutch, give'r more throttle, nothing keeps her from dying.  Then she starts up after a little cranking.  Gotta crank a little bit more than normal, but starts right up, idles fine, revs fine.  After a few cycles of start-go-dead and she decides to run great again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/13/16 at 14:40:33

When it dies, what kinda dramas are involved in getting it to start back up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 10/13/16 at 14:42:37

One thing that comes to mind is an electrical issue.

If it were just fuel it would be all the time wouldn't it?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies under load

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.