Dies under load (Read 719 times)
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Re: Dies under load
Reply #30 - 10/17/16 at 11:34:05

Well here's the latest...  The problem has gotten worse.  It used to come back to life after several dying episodes.  Not now, it will run a little ways then die, over and over.  I went back in yesterday and changed the connection to the coil and the tach.  When I installed the tach a couple months ago I used a cheap 2-in-1 connector that I had in the tool box.  Thinking that may be the problem, Not.  Tongue

When checking the spark, which I've done a half dozen times in the last few weeks, it would throw a yellow spark then occasionally blue.  Thinking I didn't have the plug properly grounded the whole time, I went with the blue.   Checked it again this morning and nothing but weak yellow spark.  And the plug, which was brand new and only had 10 minutes of use, was coated with a dry black powder.    

The battery is new and tests good under load, so that's not it. Went through connections, all look good.  Never had to deal with these symptoms before, so not sure if this is the common death throws of a coil or TCI or??     Tongue

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/17/16 at 11:53:49

It has been pointed out earlier, but it sure sounds like it starving for fuel.  I'd stay focused on that.   I would start by making sure the float is sound.    If the level is too low, you'll get enough fuel to idle but not run at higher rpms.  Think about how the bike acts when it runs out of gas.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #32 - 10/17/16 at 12:04:30

See this for explanations:

sparkpluglooks.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #33 - 10/17/16 at 12:04:48

Details for the above photo:

sparkplugana.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #34 - 10/17/16 at 12:11:15

I'd find a used ignition coil and put it on. It can still be the ignitor coil or the TDI as well.

You smell something burning. Sounds electrical to me. Cool

If it was starving for fuel it will sputter backfire and pop.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 10/17/16 at 12:18:00

Spark plug analysis can only be done after the engine is fully warmed up.

I'd remove the tach to see if it's causing the problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #36 - 10/17/16 at 13:25:08

verslagen1 wrote on 10/17/16 at 12:18:00:
Spark plug analysis can only be done after the engine is fully warmed up.

I'd remove the tach to see if it's causing the problem.

Also, spark plug analysis is best when performed on a new plug. The crappy fuel we are forced to burn today turns a sparkplug black on any non-FI engine in just a few miles.

You are going down a good path with the CDI and spark plug. Run that one down before looking at fuel delivery. Work one problem/solution at a time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 10/17/16 at 16:00:01

Also, when it does die the first time there will be this putrid smell.

Get tubing small enough to go in a nostril.
Find the source of the smell.

It's not going lean because of the carburetor and creating a stink. As quickly as you describe it happening, its something shorting out,and burning something electrical. Acrid  describes hot electrical stuff.
A Very attentive Visual inspection  could be the answer.

The most common problem is a bad connected, or an open..
I don't remember the last time I called a problem a
Likely Short..

The wires coming out near the belt should be studied, not glanced at,  arefully studied.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #38 - 10/18/16 at 09:51:06

Thanks Gang!   Smiley  Really appreciate all the help.  I'm going to start by diving back into the electrical.  That smell I explained comes from the upper left portion of the head.  Which could be coming from under the left portion under the tank which is where the coil is.  Also where I tied in the tach.  It's a ryca tach that ties into the coil and the horn.  Tach and horn have always worked fine and I just installed a new connector to the coil thinking that connection may be shorting the coil event though the tach works fine  Undecided.

The problem started shortly after I dove into the carb, installed the tach and a dyna exhaust.  Weird thing is, it only does the start-run-die thing  occasionally.  Carb: I'm going to replace the screen at the bottom of the float valve housing.  I left it off when reassembling the carb.  Also replacing the needle.  It looked a little bent to me when I had the carb apart.  I made it straight(er) then reassembled. But it's probably still not perfect.  Electrical:  unhook the tach from the coil and see if that works.  If not, install another coil.  Also, go back through all the connections, again.   Tongue    I'll let you all know how it goes.  Mahalo!      

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #39 - 10/18/16 at 10:44:32

You don't have to get power from the tach from the horn. For example I used the instrument light circuit.

There's more info in your recent post then in others. Before we only knew about changing the spark plug and cleaning the carb. Now we learn that there might be a structural issue inside the carb and a wiring circuit that may or may not be correct.

A bent or misaligned needle will cause the bike to run lean - or strange.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 10/18/16 at 11:18:12

mes from the upper left portion of the head.  Which could be coming from under the left portion under the tank which is where the coil is.  Also where I tied in the tach.

I had overlooked the tach addition. Definitely inspect and repair if you see anything that looks wrong, and just disconnect it and put it back stock electrically if you don't see anything.

The percentage of problems that are outside the known , everyday Suzuki induced little hassles that crop up after someone decides to work on it is pretty high. I'm WELL Familiar with the fine art of carefully crafting bear traps and then feeding them a leg.. and the first place I look when I see a problem develop is the last place I was working.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 10/20/16 at 15:25:17

Well I guess it's time to fix this problem! You said you removed the screen under the float valve seat ,and I asked you to replace it ! If you don't have it still you can get one from Ron Ayers (about $8.00). when you replaced the seat it went deeper into the body and the valve doesn't fully seat. This allows the bowl level to go high, except when going down hill when the float level causes the most pressure on the valve and nearly closes it .Your running rich that is why your plug is carbon fouled,and why when you open the throttle you flood and stall,your using enough fuel at speed to lower the level but when you come to stop it rises again ,and your back to stalling again.The smell could be unburned fuel coming back through the carb or out the engine breather hose. I would check your oil for gas smell again and be careful all that gas could be washing the oil off your cylinder walls.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #42 - 10/20/16 at 16:37:01

I'll have a chance to work on the bike this weekend.  Let ya'll know what I find.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 10/21/16 at 02:15:58

That acrid smell sounds electrical. I've never seen gasoline cause a stench. The description of it dying sounds like someone just turned the ignition off. Less than consistent spark colors.
I'd stick a plug in the wire and test another plug.

The cutesy little wire tap connections that you squeeze and slide the blade into are my least favorite electrical connector.

I'd be finding that stink.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #44 - 10/21/16 at 05:44:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/21/16 at 02:15:58:
I've never seen gasoline cause a stench.

Running a proper 12:1 to 15:1 (WOT to cruise) mixture results in an exhaust temperature (at the first 3 to 4 inches of down pipe) in the range of 1150 to 1300 degrees F. When the mixture starts to go just a little lean, say 17:1 to 20:1 you'll see temperatures in the range of 1500 to 1700F. In this range the coating on the pipe begins to burn and smell. Beyond 20:1 the engine will begin to shut down due to fuel starvation, but if the mixture is hovering around 21:1 head pipe temperatures will be around 2000F, and you will smell things burning.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies under load

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!