Send Topic Print
Dies under load (Read 719 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Re: Dies under load
Reply #15 - 10/13/16 at 14:47:41

Still sounds like a weak spark issue. Idle is usually OK but any load it will die. How about valve lash? Is that OK?

Also make sure that the belt didn't scrape thru the wires coming from the igniter coil. You have to look with a flashlight down behind the engine sprocket. Follow the harness out and make sure it's not cut into. Check connections at the TDI unit.

And what is the battery voltage at? Undecided
And check the kick stand safety switch with your DVM as well as the clutch safety switch and wiring connections.

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #16 - 10/13/16 at 15:07:58

Justin - a few cranks and it starts back up.  just a few more than usual and sounds like she's really lean for a few seconds then idles and revs fine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/13/16 at 15:25:27

I just don't know what to say.
Someone laid out some ideas,how to check the plug, darn if I know..
Certainly any electrical connections that you have touched, inspect.
I'm thinking it's ignition related, the description of it sounds like
what you would get if you put a heel on the sidestand.
Why, ? Cuz I'm stumped and that's all I have..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #18 - 10/13/16 at 15:46:17

Savageman - if it were a valve problem, wouldn't it be happening all the time?  After several stop-go-die episodes this morning, she decided to run like a champ.  

Battery is good and tests good under load.  

The clutch safety switch... clutch in or out in neutral and she runs fine.  don't know why it would only effect it when a load is applied?

Kick stand switch... she runs fine with the stand up in neutral or in gear with the clutch in.  Just dies when the clutch is let out and a load applied.  And it doesn't do it every time.

I agree that perhaps the safety switches could be to blame.  'Cause it only happens upon the load from stop to go.  And it happens quick.  I'll check connection.  What's a TDI unit?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #19 - 10/13/16 at 16:13:19

The only things that come to mind are a small air leak in the inlet tract or electrical.

I once had an air leak in the induction and it made the bike hesitate until the air started flowing. Then it came on like gang busters.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/13/16 at 16:58:26

Was your problem intermittent?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 10/13/16 at 18:22:08

SO...why remove the screen under your float valve? I'm assuming that it and the o ring take up some space under the valve seat ,if so ,then when you reassemble and set the float level it might be somewhat off.I'd reinstall and try again. did you readjust the air screw after changing the idle jet?think about changing the gas line between the petcock and the carb, oil and gas does eat rubber with age and that goes to the float valve (that no longer has a screen).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #22 - 10/13/16 at 18:31:48

TDI is the spark control unit under the left side cover. It's not a CDI cause doesn't use caps to generate a voltage to the ignition coil. Anyways could also be a shorted ignition coil.

All this stuff I mention is just some advanced trouble shooting methods I would use to diagnose the problem.

Pull the spark plug connect it to the coil and ground it then crank engine. Do you see a bright white/blue spark or a lame ass poor excuse of a  spark?  Huh

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #23 - 10/13/16 at 18:41:24

Arcreefer wrote on 10/13/16 at 14:24:07:
Gary - I'll check the carb to head link tomorrow.  I know the clamp is tight, but an air leak there would make some sense except why it would only do it sometimes??  What's the best way for leak testing there?

WD40.  When you spray the inlet tube, if the idle increases, you have a leak.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #24 - 10/14/16 at 10:04:07

First off, I would like to thank every one of you who took the time to help me with this.   Smiley  (place beer mug icon here)

I'll be working on my bike today.  Since it only does the start-go-die thing occasionally and mostly in the mornings after a brief warm up and I've already changed the plug and cleaned the carb, the first thing I'll do today is check for air leaks.   Then check safety switches, coil & TDI connections.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Mahalo!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/14/16 at 10:19:15

If it did it Every Time, it's still weird,, but an intermittent weird?
I'm certainly pulling for you.. I wanna know what the heck is going on, too.

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #26 - 10/15/16 at 14:44:32

OK Savage Gurus... I went through the electrical... Nice blue spark on a new plug, cleaned safety switch connections and tested.  Went on a test ride up the hill, ran great until I got about a block up the road in 3rd gear blub, blub, blub, dead.  Didn't matter pulling in the clutch and giving more throttle.  Nothing keeps it from dying except going downhill in 3rd gear.  I can hear it wanting to die but it doesn't.  Seems if it were electrical it would still die going downhill in 3rd gear  Undecided ?

Also, when it does die the first time there will be this putrid smell.  Definitely did not smell like fuel.  Strong acrid smell.  What the heck was that?  Huh

I did notice that when it wants to run awesome it idles close to 1,500 rpm.  It does give me notice when it wants to run like crap by dropping idle closer to 1,100 - 1,200.  I originally set the idle at 1,200 but lately when I first start it up it idles around 900 - 1,000.  When it's warmed up and wants to run good it idles closer to 1,400.  I installed a tach a while back but I can hear when it wants to run proper and when it doesn't.  Doesn't  miss or backfire, just sounds like it doesn't want to go to work for the day.  

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #27 - 10/15/16 at 15:01:28

Sounds exactly like an electrical short. Pull the seat and gas tank off. Check all the wiring and connectors for burnt connections.

When it shorts out no sparky. No sparky no run. Shocked

Also make sure your battery terminals and or wires aren't shorting to the battery box. Not much room in there.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/16/16 at 12:52:43

As everyone knows a cold engine doesn't produce as much power as one that is warm and if something is dragging the bike down then it might be enough to cause stalling.  One very simple thing you might want to check is to see if there is any extra resistance to rolling.  Jack it up and see if the wheels turn freely.  Maybe a brake is dragging, or a wheel bearing is shot.  Is there any extra friction in the transmission/clutch.  I don't think it is likely but since nothing else seems to be the cause it's probably worth checking.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 10/17/16 at 05:24:59

Arcreefer wrote on 10/15/16 at 14:44:32:
Also, when it does die the first time there will be this putrid smell.  Definitely did not smell like fuel.  Strong acrid smell.  What the heck was that?

I still think it's the carb, most likely the float height. That smell is the mixture going lean - which causes the engine to run very hot.

If it was electrical and there was a smell...chances are you'd only get the opportunity to smell it once before the wires fried.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies under load

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!