Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No more internal combustion engines!! (Read 93 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No more internal combustion engines!!
10/12/16 at 18:52:40

Germany has voted to ban internal combustion engines by 2030.  Won't that be a boring world!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/october/germany-votes-to-ban-internal...

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: No more internal combustion engines!!
Reply #1 - 10/12/16 at 19:00:10

I wouldn't worry about it. By 2030 Germany will be an Islamic nation and all the Krauts will be riding around on camels anyway. At least the ones that can afford them.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/12/16 at 20:05:49

Well, not to be contrary, but given all circumstances involved, it's a very logical decision. Notwithstanding my surname is Busch and I lived and worked in West Germany for 9 years, I fully understand and concur with their decision. (1)They have no natural source of petroleum. (2)Gas prices are outrageous. (3)Europe has a severe air and water pollution problem. (4)Compared to the USA, distances are much shorter. (5)The entire country is on a 220 volt 50 amp system - perfect for rechargeable electrics. (6)Electric car, motorcycle, and GA aircraft technology has come of age and is advancing rapidly. And there are likely more good reasons that I have overlooked.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/12/16 at 20:30:31

Yeah next there will be a 100 kph speed limit on the autobahn !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/12/16 at 23:27:28

HAPPYDAN wrote on 10/12/16 at 20:05:49:
Well, not to be contrary, but given all circumstances involved, it's a very logical decision. Notwithstanding my surname is Busch and I lived and worked in West Germany for 9 years, I fully understand and concur with their decision. (1)They have no natural source of petroleum. (2)Gas prices are outrageous. (3)Europe has a severe air and water pollution problem. (4)Compared to the USA, distances are much shorter. (5)The entire country is on a 220 volt 50 amp system - perfect for rechargeable electrics. (6)Electric car, motorcycle, and GA aircraft technology has come of age and is advancing rapidly. And there are likely more good reasons that I have overlooked.

What is feasible and possibly even reasonable for them is really difficult to grasp for most Americans I'd think.
I'm in Texas, and I have driven across this state several times, and buddy, it's a days drive to get across the thing..

Texas is 660 miles wide and 790 miles long. Texas is the second largest state in the United States; only Alaska is larger.

From desert and sand hills to lakes, and streams and rolling wooded hills, we even have a beach..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 10/13/16 at 03:28:47

Banning things doesn't necessarily work. If people want that, it will come in due course, because people may want electrics.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/13/16 at 08:09:02

Ruttly wrote on 10/12/16 at 20:30:31:
Yeah next there will be a 100 kph speed limit on the autobahn !

Check out the Zero motorcycles. Wicked Fast. And don't forget the Tesla.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 10/13/16 at 09:03:26

Europe is far ahead of the US in "renewable" resources for generating electricity, BUT...   I wonder if any studies have been made as regards the amount of pollution/carbon foot print necessary to generate electrical power and the infrastructure/ grid to distribute it ????  How about the batteries in these "non polluting" vehicles ????  Wink                (Every time the "experts" and the government does something that they tell me is for my benefit, I  reach for the "Preparation H") Embarrassed

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/13/16 at 10:49:29

The abolishment of the internal combustion engine is just too big of a concept for me to grasp.  While I can conceive that wind and solar can work for some applications, and that even electricity can be generated with boilers that can be cleaner than internal combustion, and that there can be transportation systems that run on grids or batteries, and that maybe fuel cells can work for some applications - I just can't fathom how a subsistence farmer can work without his tractor (he is barely able to survive by using the heirloom tractor that his grandad bought), or how does any clearing/grading/construction get done without bulldozers/trucks/backhoes?  Can they replace the diesel engines in semi's with electric trains....or trucks that can connect to a power supply while in motion....or batteries?

I am just going to keep my head down, try to keep riding my bike for another 20 years.......and then maybe settle in to my electric wheelchair!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/13/16 at 12:28:36

Nearly all of central Europe has been on nuclear power for many years. I was in West Germany when the Wall came down, and the big complaint was East Germans were still using coal-fired power plants and driving 2-stroke Trabants. That was in '89. I'm sold on the electric M/C concept, just waiting for someone (probably China) to make a reasonable-looking, functional, practical bike like the old Honda CB350 was. Zero is focusing on radical-looking high performance machines, targeting the younger set that can't yet afford the heady price tags, completely overlooking us old guys who have the $$$ and nothing to prove. IMHO, although they are truly pioneering the concept, the door is wide open for others to seize the market.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/13/16 at 18:20:56

When we were kids we mounted old playing cards on our bicycles so that the spokes would snap them and make sounds like an engine, well sort of anyway.  Kids still do it.  So if it all goes electric I guess I'll get out the playing cards.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/13/16 at 20:05:11

Kids still do it.

I have not seen that in decades..
I saw three guys riding together early spring... I was surprised.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 10/14/16 at 07:45:55

Regardless of how FAST some electric vehicles may go, there's still the problem of RANGE, which is far from good, and RECHARGE TIME, also not good
The tesla has a max range of 400 miles, but driving at autobahn speeds will significantly lower that, and then you need hours, not minutes, to 'refuel'
then there's the Gwiz, an electric commuter with a range of just 50 miles, then an 8 hour recharge time (2 hours for an 80% charge) and a battery pack that needs replacement every 2-3 years, at a cost of $3000
Those batteries make for a pretty large carbon footprint
I hope the germans come up with something better than electric cars, they aren't really viable outside the urban environment
and they cost more, usually a lot more
There's a REASON the IC engine beat out the electric, all those years ago, it just works better

Maybe the Ecat could make an actual viable for all electric car, but battery power won't

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/14/16 at 09:50:03

Why not teleportation. I mean, if the politicians get together and make it the law, it has to happen, right? Science, practicality, economic realities, what the peons actually prefer, and will pay for, who cares about that stuff?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:18:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › No more internal combustion engines!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.