Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Break-in Mileage Maintenance (Read 88 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Break-in Mileage Maintenance
10/11/16 at 16:58:38

Finally, now that my shoulder has healed from rotator cuff surgery, I've got through the 600-mile break in (well, 599.6 anyway).

Rotella "dino" 15w-40 oil, with .75 oz. of Redline, new KN oil filter...check. Cables lubed, tires & drive belt inspection...check.

After letting bike cool off overnight, read through Versy's valve adjustment instructions twice, gathered up tools and proceded to inspect valve clearances. Hmmm...exhaust's seemed right in the middle of the .08-.13 mm range, but intake's seemed a bit tight. Double-checked to make sure I was on compression TDC, NOT exhaust TDC....same result. (Kudos to Versy, btw, for a very good write-up on this procedure.)

HOWEVER, with my "automotive-sized" metric feeler gauges, there's just very little room to get an accurate "feel." The bike is running well, so I buttoned everything back up.

Ordered the 6-piece Motion Pro feeler gauge set and BikeMaster adjustment wrenches. Will do a write-up on these tools once I get the valve adjustment "just-so."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Break-in Mileage Maintenance
Reply #1 - 10/11/16 at 18:30:03

otella "dino" 15w-40 oil, with .75 oz. of Redline..

IIRC, recommended is 1oz. per gallon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/11/16 at 19:06:27

According to Boule'tard's table, .75 oz of Redline brings Rotella up to 1367 ppm of ZDDP. Since untreated Rotella is considered adequate @ 1250 ppm, that should be "good nuff."

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/15/16 at 16:21:17

UPDATE: The Motion Pro feeler gauges were just the ticket for checking valve clearances. Narrow blades, angled about 30°. The set came with 2 each of .002 & .003, .004 & .005, and .006 & .008. (Pictures to follow.)

On the negative side, the BikeMaster Valve Clearance Adjuster set is a good idea, but poorly executed. The 10mm handle would not fit the 10mm locknuts on the valve adjusters. Returning the set to Amazon.

Motion Pro makes an adjusting kit similar to the cheaper BikeMaster kit. Anyone out there tried the Motion Pro set?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/15/16 at 19:02:21

I just used a 90 degree bent screwdriver and a wrench..
And for a feeler gauge, I used the ones I wanted from the set, bent into a Z with a ski tip .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:28:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Break-in Mileage Maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.