Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
What other bikes have you owned / ridden (Read 753 times)
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
What other bikes have you owned / ridden
10/10/16 at 06:49:58

I think I'm going to be picking up a second bike some time this week. The little Ryca café just isn't cutting it for my interstate commute. As of right now the leading contender is the 2016 Kawasaki Ninja 650. The local dealers have them marked down to $5300 vs an MSRP of $7200. I'm assuming that's because of the time of year and because they just announced a new version of the bike for 2017.  

This is the bike that I'm looking at. http://donandroys.com/Motorcycles-Kawasaki-Ninja-650-2016-6610a5fe-132c-4d3b-... I took it for a test ride on Saturday and I was pretty impressed with how smooth it was and how much wind protection there was.

After going home and doing a little research it looked like the bike was compared to the Yamaha FZ-07 a lot...and the FZ-07 usually won. Of course one of the reasons is that the FZ-07 has a lower MSRP so the argument was always "bang for your buck" the Yamaha is better. They are also going below MSRP but not as low as the Ninja. Of course now I need to try to track one down to test ride before I make a decision. I'm pretty sure the FZ-07 is going to be the more fun bike but I think the wind protection isn't going to be enough. We'll see if the sensible side or the fun side wins.

Anyway....back to the subject.

To this point in my life I've only owned 3 bikes. The first being a Suzuki GS 500E. I think part of the reason I thought the Ninja was so smooth was that I expected it to feel a little more like the GS. That thing vibrated like hell at 70mph. It sure was a great first bike. I had it topped out a number of times and would have kept going faster if I could have. Luckily I couldn't. It also taught me that I'm terrible at wheelies so I shouldn't bother too much on whatever bike I got next.

The next bike couldn't have been much different. I went to the dealer thinking that I would get a Katana. It just happened that a 2003 Kawasaki ZZR1200 was sitting right next to it. I couldn't understand why I would want to only pay about $1500 less for a 600cc Katana (or whatever size it was) instead of getting a 1200cc bike that looked very similar. Well I ended up pulling the trigger on the ZZR and I'm very glad I did. That bike took me on a number of trips around the country that I'll never forget.

Fast forward and a lot of things changed. I moved from St. Louis to Milwaukee and also had twins. Having moved away from the guys that I enjoyed riding with, not being able to ride year round due to weather conditions, and having a job where I commuted with my wife (that hates riding) I was barely riding at all. I WAS spending my time doing something else though. Autocross racing. I got this stupid idea that I should buy a full blown race car instead of using the normal street cars that most people use. Well my wife didn't want me having a bike that I didn't ride AND a race car that I would barely drive so I sold the bike and got this thing:

It's not technically a motorcycle but it had an 08 Honda CBR1000RR motor in it so it's close enough.  Grin It was a blast but if you know anything about autocross you know that there isn't much actual driving. After a year and a half the deal that I made with someone else to trailer and maintain the car fell through so I ended up selling it.

Then came the Savage. My friend had been drooling over the Ryca kit for a while and it got me thinking about a bike again too. I figured with my commute with my wife that most of my riding would just be around town and in the evening for going to work out so I pulled the trigger on it. That brings me to where I am today on bikes that I've owned.

The ZZR is by far the fastest bike that I've ridden. Most of the others are pretty random. Kawasaki GPZ550, a couple Kawasaki Concourses, a handful of Harley Road Kings,  Kawasaki Katana, BMW R1200C, Yamaha YZF600,  Triumph Street Twin, and a Buell Firebolt (I think). I remember test riding a Buell but I can't remember which one.

So what are everyone else's favorite bikes to bikes that you've owned. I know a couple people on here have some smaller sport bikes. Anyone else venture away from cruisers?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What other bikes have you owned / ridden
Reply #1 - 10/10/16 at 07:22:17

I rode/raced dirt bikes until I graduated form high school, and then had a Suzuki RE-5 Wankel that I only put 1,000 miles before I wen to college and sold it.

After College I did the autocross thing.  I built a 914-6  Porsche that could be street driven - but it wasn't all that comfortable on the street as it was set up for autocross and was fast and nimble, and it liked to follow pavement grooves!  It weighed 2,140 pounds and had a 3.5 litre twin plug racing motor....1/4 mile times were in the 12's.  Like you.....I enjoyed doing that for several years, then I just got tired of spending all day in an asphalt parking lot for 3 minutes of driving time.

After more than 35 years without a motorcycle, I got back in with the purchase of a Suzuki RL250 trials motorcycle, then a Sherco trials motorcycle....then a Kawasaki Super Sherpa dual sport, then the Savage.  Then I sold the trials bike and bought a used ST1100 Honda, then a broken Ninja 250 that I fixed.  After a couple years on the "too big for me" ST1100 I sold it and bought a Honda NT700.  (My current stable is the Savage Cafe', the NT700 and the Ninja 250).

How many miles do you commute each day?  In all weather conditions?

If you really want an interstate commuter bike....I think you should skip the "sport" bike and get a "sport touring" bike.  The have more comfortable seating, better weather protection, and generally already have some form of storage on them.  The ST1100 is a great bike that can easily go 200,000 miles with maintenance, and they are very reliable and affordable.  They are just a bit big and heavy for hustling on the Dragon - but on the Cherohala Skyway it was really in it's element on those big sweepers.  If you have a 32" inseam....they are a great bike.  the same qualities can be found in the newer ST1300 and Kawasaki Concours or FJR Yamaha - although I have heard the ST1300 and FJR can direct a lot of heat toward the rider in slow traffic in the summer.

There are also mid size sport touring bikes like the Honda NT700 that I bought that are lighter and still very capable of doing interstate speeds without any problems.  The BMW  R1100 & R1150 can be had in the $ 5,000 range and are great commuter bikes (I just haven't done BMW as I like having local dealers when I need parts).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 - 10/10/16 at 07:52:20

I just don't want to go with the big sport touring bike. I had that in the ZZR and felt the exact same way you did with the Deal's Gap area. The Cherohala Skyway was about my favorite road in the area to ride with the dragon being too much of a hustle.

The Ninja 650 is very much a commuter bike. The seating position is right at straight up and down with fairly low pegs. The windshield also has some adjustability to go higher than what it is in the picture.

I thought about the adventure sport style bike and had actually planned on test riding a KLR 650 but I didn't want to after the Ninja. The Ninja was actually a more upright seating position than what I want. If I get one I would lower the bars a bit.

Right now my commute is 28.5 miles with the vast majority being 70mph interstate. Most of the roads in the area are very straight too so even the scenic route only has a couple corners (and it takes an additional 15-20 minutes). I used to ride as long as it was above 32degrees. I've gotten softer over the years though. Plus usually by the time it's down to that temp in this area there is snow and salt on the roads anyway. On the Ryca my cutoff is about 50 degrees in the morning. I think with the Ninja I could make it down to 40 fairly comfortably.

map.jpg
  IP Logged
Chris H.
YaBB Newbies

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 10/10/16 at 08:06:38

I couldn't find a picture of my first bike, it was an old Honda Shadow.

2011 Street Bob, the bike I spend the most time/money on, loved that one.

2012 Switchback

2009 Monster 1100S

2012 Daytona

Finally, my current other bike 2015 Street Glide Special

'03 Savage, soon to be bobber.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 10/10/16 at 08:26:54

I'm in my mid fifty's and I have been riding since the age of 10. In my nearly half a decade as a rider I've owned just about every style of bike there is and I have gone through just about every phase of riding and ownership.

I happen to like the ZX-650 that you are looking at. I have a friend who has one and she has nothing bad to say about it. It's fun to ride, is economical to own and checks many of my boxes. And yes, I would cross shop that with the FZ-07...and while I was at the Yamaha dealership I'd probably have to throw a leg over the FZ-09 because...well...triple. And while we're on the subject of triples...one that is a perfect commuter/travel bike is the FJ-09.

In my experience, no one can help you with the "what bike" question. A bike either speaks to you or it doesn't. There's no other rational explanation (nor is one needed). If this bike will be a commuter bike; and looking at your commute its probably a mindless blast down the interstate (with the exception of the cages that never see you) - which makes me think cruiser and or tourer. Comfort, protection and the ability to store stuff (lunch, laptop, dry clothes) probably should take precedence over everything else.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/10/16 at 08:50:14

60s Honda 55
75 gt 550
04 ct 70 clone
06 s 40

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/10/16 at 10:09:32

Reliability and comfort and the ability to handle the speed and Still have the Ooomph to pass.
You Have a
Cross town, running around bike.
Now, you need a commuter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 10/10/16 at 11:47:39

Chris - I definitely was not expecting the Daytona after the first couple of cruisers.

I know that nobody will make the final decision but me, but finding out if people have some bike that I haven't thought about or have the current bike and love/hate it can make a difference.

I've read my fair number of reviews to get the "first ride" experience from people. It's the day-to-day things that you don't hear about. Mirrors that won't stay in place, fasteners that come loose or rattle, fuses that always blow...things like that.

I figured it was also a good chance just to see what bikes people have had other than the Savage. You never know.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 10/10/16 at 11:53:24

I would take a look at a V Strom before your make your purchase.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/10/16 at 12:22:09

Only imported for a few years. Considered overpriced. That's the burden of Quality. No cam chains, and shims on the valves..

http://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?make=Kawasaki%7C2318344&model=W650%...;

Worth a look..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris H.
YaBB Newbies

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 10/10/16 at 13:38:32

Ya, the Daytona was my least favorite bike I think. Don't get me wrong it was plenty fast, and fun in the curves, but I just don't think a traditional sport bike is for me. I really miss the Ducati.

BSTON wrote on 10/10/16 at 11:47:39:
Chris - I definitely was not expecting the Daytona after the first couple of cruisers.

I know that nobody will make the final decision but me, but finding out if people have some bike that I haven't thought about or have the current bike and love/hate it can make a difference.

I've read my fair number of reviews to get the "first ride" experience from people. It's the day-to-day things that you don't hear about. Mirrors that won't stay in place, fasteners that come loose or rattle, fuses that always blow...things like that.

I figured it was also a good chance just to see what bikes people have had other than the Savage. You never know.

'03 Savage, soon to be bobber.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/10/16 at 13:51:07

$5300 is only a couple of hundred more than the price of a new 2016 Ninja 300 in my neck of the woods. One or two year old used 650s are in the 5k range around here. If you like the bike, that's a great deal.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/10/16 at 13:52:58

Chris H. wrote on 10/10/16 at 13:38:32:
Ya, the Daytona was my least favorite bike I think. Don't get me wrong it was plenty fast, and fun in the curves, but I just don't think a traditional sport bike is for me.

I feel the same way about my little Ninja 250....I just don't like the sportbike squid image. (With my full coverage helmet and tinted visor I look squidlike).

The little Ninja is getting a "sportbikectomy" this winter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/10/16 at 14:15:48

AlRite! An Ectomy, Everyone KNOWS every Ectomy requires Some amount of sedation. Cans, bottles, who cares?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 10/10/16 at 14:29:00

Other than my S40 that I bought 4+ years ago as my first bike ever, I recently acquired this Ninja.  Hope to add to my collection next year with an older retro scrambler or something of the like.

IMG_20160821_142029.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:23:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › What other bikes have you owned / ridden

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.