Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I've had enough. Dumped Windows my wife's laptop (Read 67 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
I've had enough. Dumped Windows my wife's laptop
10/09/16 at 20:38:23

Well, there is now one less Windows machine at my house.

My wife has a little Acer notebook. It came with Win8, I upgraded to Win10 just to have a Win10 machine to mess with. What a mistake that was. The computer is somewhat underpowered with Win8 and with Win10, it couldn't even get out of it's own way. It was unusable for almost 15 minutes after a boot, applications took forever to load and the cursor and keyboard would often stall while the system was doing who knows what.

Last night, Windows announced it was going to update, I assume the Anniversary update.

The next morning,, 10 hours later, the disk was spinning, the screen was dark and there was no response to any keyboard or mouse input. I cycled the power. As it came up it said "attempting to continue update". It went back to a black screen and unresponsive to input. After another 6 hrs, I power cycled it again. This time it rolled back the update and booted up.

I wondered what would happen the next time it will attempt an update-- possibly the same issue. I decided not to find out.

In under 2 hours, I installed Linux Mint 18, ran the updater to update all the software, configured the interface to my liking, installed Google Chrome + Disconnect and Adblock Plus extensions, installed the Wine Windows Emulator and installed my wife's favorite DOS game to run under Wine.

The little machine is running great. It's responsive and the touchscreen that my wife really likes is working just fine. She is happy because her game and web browsing works. I'm happy because that POS Windows 10 is gone. I was already running Ubuntu on my ancient Windows Vista laptop.

The only Windows computers left at my house is a Win7 desktop that runs a multitrack recording studio and a WinXP machine that is only used to run some analog-to-digital video capture hardware whose drivers were orphaned at WinXP. I hope the new Win7 cumulative updates doesn't screw up my Win7 machine. If so, I think an Apple Mac Mini might be in my future, as the recording application I use also has an Apple version.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: I've had enough. Dumped Windows my wife's lapt
Reply #1 - 10/09/16 at 20:48:31

Bobert, I am proud of both you and your wife.

It is a mental leap of faith to kill Microchoke.  

I remember back when I did it (with fear and trembling).   Back then it was a good bit harder to do, now-a-days it is a piece of cake comparatively.

All you "maybe, someday" folks need to jump in now and TALK to Bobert, not only did he just do it, he gave the sole piece of what his wife wanted back to her using Wine.

As such, he is our star right now -- talk to him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 10/09/16 at 21:07:55

Oldfeller, I figured you would like this.

Truthfully, I'm not a Linux newb. I've been messing with it off and on for a number of years, usually finding some reason to abandon it as not ready for prime time. I have been running Ubuntu on my laptop for about 2 years. A year of dual boot, then wiping Windows (Vista) for a linux-only install.

Our linux laptops are mostly for light duty use. A couple games and websurfing, mostly. I'm not a gamer, so I didn't need to worry about migrating or changing a bunch of games. I have already been an OpenOffice/LibreOffice user for years and have no need for Windows Office.

I considered Chromebook, but their office apps and other things don't meet my needs when disconnected from the Internet. I want a self-contained computer that can function when offline.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/09/16 at 21:16:42

Yep, I track the upswing in Chrome/Andromeda vs the failures of Win 10 -- but I do it on an old converted Dell box running Linux Mint Mate 18.

So yeah, there is a reality split between the tracking and the doing, even for me.

Nobody can even get real numbers on the folks going over to Linux Mint, as it is all hidden by MS decree and can only be reported if it is a "pure Linux install" because if you leave Windows on your machine anywhere,  even in a gaming partition, you get counted as a Windows machine.

Linux installations are admitted to have doubled in the last year, but that is held as all smoky and dubious as the tracking companies do a big business with MS and they get paid Micky dollars to report things Micky's way because Micky is paying for the reports.

« Last Edit: 10/10/16 at 06:57:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 10/09/16 at 21:21:19

OK I'm interested. Is it a thing someone who can follow instructions but who's not really interested in computers to be able to do and use it? Where's a good place to start? I'm soooo sick of win10. Makes it really hard to study from home when the machine keeps locking up all the time while it does who knows what. What happens with all the files that are already in the machine? Can still use them?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 10/10/16 at 06:33:39

I wouldn't attempt a full linux install on an important computer that you can't immediately live without. For sure, all your data files need to be backed up, as a full install (not a dual-boot install) will WIPE your disk of all data. I would suggest starting with a dual-boot install to get your feet wet. You can choose how to install linux on your disk during the install.

The wife's laptop has the UEFI secure boot feature, the first time I have had to mess with this. It is on newer computers and it locks out the capability of booting from alternate devices like a DVD or USB stick, which is how you begin a linux install. You would need to research how to bypass UEFI to allow an alternate boot. It can vary from vendor to vendor. In my case, with a Linux MINT install USB stick in place, I could hold the shift key down while clicking on "restart" while in Windows. I THINK I could have also allowed an alternate device boot from a cold start by holding down the shift key while pressing the power button. Your mileage may vary.

Once booted from the Mint 18 USB and running the Mint install, it knew that UEFI was there. It asked if I wanted to turn it off after the install was complete and asked for a password. Later in the install it asked to turn it off and asked for the password before doing so.

Other than the UEFI thing, installing linux is simple, just following prompts.

As I said above, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND installing as a dual-boot first. That way you can play with it while still being able to boot to Windows to get your normal work done. This also allows you to play with the linux applications that are alternatives to Windows programs for office, music and multimedia apps. Be aware that there will be work to do to migrate things like music libraries to the new apps. One cool thing is that linux (at least Ubuntu) mounts your Windows partition as an external storage device so can access files on your Windows filesystem.

You can also see if you can run any must-needed Windows-only apps under the Wine emulator.

Just a note. I use Apple iTunes to back up the family iPhones offline. iTunes does not run under Wine. That is why for now I still need either a Windows or Mac computer and cannot go full linux on all my computers.

When I reinstalled from dual-boot to Ubuntu only, I backed up all my data files to an external USB hard drive using the supplied backup tool. After reinstalling linux, I used the backup tool to restore my data files. BAM!, that was simple.

Just to reiterate, you may need to be a little geeky to pull this off. If your computing needs are mostly web surfing and web email, migrating is simple. In a simple case like this, going to a Chromebook might be a better option. If you are doing this to an important computer, I would certainly go dual-boot first until you are comfortable with linux. I ran dual-boot for a year just in case until I discovered that I hadn't booted into Windows for over three months. And I didn't do this on my most important household computer. I would still be hesitant to do this if this was my ONLY computer.

Sorry to be ramble so much in this post. I have found out with computers that there are always a multitude of maybes, "in this case" and exceptions to be aware of.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/10/16 at 06:45:25

Here is the good news,

We all generally have an old laptop or PC drawing dust over in a corner.   So, we have all we need to install Linux Mint on that device, as Linux will run WELL on old XP class equipment.   Anything more modern is just gravy as far as speed goes.

Ask yourself one question, will the old machine boot from a jump drive?   If not, you need an installation DVD which you can burn yourself, or lacking a DVD read/write drive you can buy what you need from these folks for $6.  

https://www.osdisc.com/

Final question -- are you technically literate enough to take care of a Windows PC?    Yes, I mean beating the issues that constantly come up, going into a config.exe file, downloading and installing programs and drivers and such.  

Dude, the answer is yes, you have been doing this shite all along.

IF YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF A WINDOWS MACHINE, YOU CAN LOAD A LINUX.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/10/16 at 10:23:55

IF YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF A WINDOWS MACHINE, YOU CAN LOAD A LINUX.

Isn't the Reason for loading Linux pretty much Because the Windows machine is
Pardon the pun
Such a pane?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/10/16 at 11:17:52

Yep, Justin's got it.    

When it gets to be a "pane" in the arse and you can't readily fix it (because you aren't allowed to by MS, mebbe because your blood bowl payment was late and your drivers jest "quit working" because MS jest doesn't love you any more) so go stick your friendly Linux DVD into the drive and load 'er on up by following the prompts.

Each of us will hit the wall for various reasons, at various different times.    

Having an older machine may well become a telling advantage going forward, as them older johnnies lack the hardware lockdowns that come on all the newer machines now-a-days.

Remember, Linux works great on old equipment, all the needed drivers are on the installation DVD and the most common video drivers and audio drivers are actually inside the Linux Kernel itself which is one reason why it runs so durn fast on such a small amount of systems memory.

Most old Windows machines are gross overkill for both processor and systems memory .....  

Grin

nice, ain't it

« Last Edit: 10/10/16 at 18:23:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:31:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › I've had enough. Dumped Windows my wife's laptop