badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
shinko 230 report
10/09/16 at 11:29:29

I have finally wore out and changed my shinko 230 on the rear and have the final results.
My riding style is easy and smooth, I don't rip it up anymore. I have a LOT of interstate miles on it, I was gone for 28 days in July and did 5400 miles up and down the eastern US. With both Kaw pulleys it is only turning 3400rpm at 60mph, so it is just loafing on the slab.
YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARRY WITH YOUR RIDING STYLE, LOADING AND ROADS!

Tire- Shinko 230 Tour Master 150/90 15 (yes 150/90 not 130 or 140) it is on a 3.5'' alum. rim running tubeless with the under fender bolts swapped out for buttonheads to get clearance.
Tire was mounted on 05 Jan 16', changed 07 Oct 16'
tire date of man. - 4414
mileage - 18,529
tread depth - new .325'' - old .070''
weight  - new 18 lbs  - old - 17 lbs 2 oz
rollout  - new 78''  - old 77''
width on 3.5'' rim  - new 6.185''  - old 6.230''
psi 30 - 32

As the photo shows, the old tire is flattened out in the middle and I didn't  notice it while riding, but with the new one it does seem a bit nimbler.
I bought that tire for $60.00 w/delivery on a closeout cause it was a year old, 18.5k on a $60 tire ain't bad! The new one cost $82.00 online, still cheap for a tire I can get 16 - 18k miles on!
This is the first tire in my 400k+ miles riding that wore evenly all the way around!
I static balanced it w/wheelweights and put in 2.5oz of ceramic balancing beads. After taking the old tire off, I recovered 2.1oz of dirty beads and found NO damage to the inside of the tire. I am now a believer in these little things!
The beads are about .085'' new and old .045''. Some pics of the beads=

I have found a tire that I am happy with at a price that don't break the bank. Shinko calls this the Tour Master and I have to agree, it never gave a bit of trouble or wiggled on grooved or milled roads. If you are looking for a ''performance'' tire, it is too big and heavy to thrash around in the twisties. And any rubber compound that will run high mileage like this ain't gonna stick all the way till you drag your handlebars. But if you ride moderately, this tire will last a LOT of miles for the money.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: shinko 230 report
Reply #1 - 10/09/16 at 14:05:42

Nicely done!... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/09/16 at 14:08:18

Great report badwolf. I got about 8500 miles on the Shinko 712 and put the Shinko tour master tires on the bike about 400 miles ago. I am hoping to get 10-12K miles on the rear tourmaster. Based on your report I suspect I will. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 10/09/16 at 15:35:34

Springman, I got 7k on a Dunlop 404 rear that I think is similar to the 712, a all around tire. 6k total on the stock IRC, 5,200 miles on it when I bought it. The front 404 has 17k on it and maybe 3 or 4k left. I try to be easy on tires from past bad experiences. (Had to patch a rear tube in the dark on the narrow side of Rt 60 10 miles west of Yee Haw Junction on my old Gold Wing back in the 80's, changed to a tubeless rim the next week. Only had 2 flats since then, just one I had to fix on the road.)
Good luck with the 230's!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 10/09/16 at 19:28:07

Nice report.  Very informative.

Why use the beads? Were you trying to save some money and DIY by not having it dynamically balanced?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 10/09/16 at 20:41:38

Kris01, I always wanted to try them, and now they work so good I'm hooked. They balance the tire and wheel every time you get going, you never lose a weight to throw it off, and no more solder wrapped around spokes or ugly weights on a nice alum rim. They are cheap, easy & they work!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 10/10/16 at 17:52:54

I may have to give it a try. I can't stand the spoke weights.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/10/16 at 19:05:37

Kris01 wrote on 10/10/16 at 17:52:54:
I may have to give it a try. I can't stand the spoke weights.

I tend to believe it would be best to do both....static balance the wheel/tire to get close, and if it requires a lot of weight loosen the tire on the rim and rotate it 180 degrees and see if it takes less weight.  Then when you have it close with weights - then add the beads.  It will then be balanced as close as you can get it, and can re-balance itself if the tire wears unevenly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 10/10/16 at 19:51:12

Great Report !  Smiley

That is a lot of miles for less than a year too !   Shocked  

So does the stock motor must pull that tall gear OK ?   Roll Eyes   Maybe I should give it another try ...  Huh

I believe you might get "The High Mileage / Year award"  this year !  

I salute ya  Cool .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/11/16 at 21:13:51

badwolf, do you know if the Shinko tourmaster will run as a tubeless tire on an original savage rim if the rim is sealed for tubeless tires? I'm not sure I understand what makes a tire tubeless and if just sealing the rim is sufficient for using a tubeless tire.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #10 - 10/12/16 at 15:24:33

I believe some of the "darksiders" tried that when they were playing around with car tires on the rear. I seem to remember there was a issue with the sealer and bead explosions of some type.
I tried a car tire on my 3.5" alum m/c rim and could not get the bead to come up evenly. I tried about 10 times up to 75psi with no luck. Then had to cut a new tire off with a cut off wheel and throw it away. Must be a slight diff in dimensions.
I went to the alum rim so I could run tubeless, if you are changing over to a Kaw rear pulley or a chain it is not much extra work.
I'll stick with the230s now!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/13/16 at 17:43:57

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/12/16 at 15:43:13:
MODERATOR NOTE:  I broke this out of badwolf's Shinko Discussion.....just to help keep things a bit more on topic.

In the Savage rim there is a central well or depression that the tire bead slips over into during the mounting process.   Filling this well up with stuff to make it tubeless makes all tires VERY hard to get onto the rim (motorcycle tires too).

Going Darkside on a Savage has other difficulties I won't waste your time with by saying an electric knife, some axle grease and some patience can still fix them.   I deleted all that sort of pertinent info from all the Darkside threads as I don't think it is safe for normal newbies to be trying to do this sort of stuff AT ALL.     <he rubs his left wrist scar as he types this>

My last Darkside rear tire was mounted in the same year Dave went on his first Dragon run, and it has outlived more than several of MM's rear tires (and one of his Savages).   My current Darksider tire is a little older than Dave's Cafe Savage and it is less than half worn out.

It may outlive me ....

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

Carry on with the Shinko discussion. Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:19:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › shinko 230 report

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.