Cam timing? (Read 405 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Cam timing?
10/07/16 at 14:45:20

Anyone try playing with the cam timing? On a stock bumpstick or one of the aftermarket ones? Webcam has a decent section in their catalog on the voodoo, but that is assuming one can just play with things like offset Woodruff keys.
Just a quick look tells me it'd be a real PITA to alter. But then again, happy cam timing makes for a happy motor.
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cam timing?
Reply #1 - 10/07/16 at 17:23:45

So far nobody has fooled with the cam timing.....although we all see how far behind that timing notch becomes as the cam chain wears/stretches.

There isn't anyone that has created a way to alter the timing....there is a pin that locks the gear in place on the cam....and no options to adjust that (yet).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/07/16 at 18:17:53

verslagen1 wrote on 03/17/07 at 23:35:13:
replace the chain if it stretches beyond .07" over 5".  Reshape or replace the guide if the tensioner extends beyond 18mm with a good chain.  

You can go further with either but at risk.  .07" stretch will retard the cam timing by 7°.  Apparently, this type of chain is meant to float on the gear teeth anyway.  So a worn chain doesn't effect the teeth of the sprockets like chains in the final drive.

The forward side of the cam chain run is straight.
As an alternate method to taking up slack in the cam chain, OF proposed this...
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/29/11 at 02:21:01:
That's OK Justin, all input is appreciated.   Sounds like you had a failure of the left hand (rear) normal moving adjuster guide piece during a second life (or was it third life?) after hand bending it strongly to take up the same slop I am taking up by gently single bending and reinforcing the right hand (front) guide.

You bustulated the other one, not the one I am messing wid.

Now, did you have any major damage to the inner gears, etc, or jest a bunch of noise when yours went?  

I'm asking because second (and third) life re-use of the cam chain guides is taking place a lot during these here hard hard recessionary times.

And that left hand large bottom sheet metal guide piece does jest hang out there in space with the cam tensioner spring telling it all the time to go that-a-way and the moving cam chain itself saying go this-a-way and it has a right rough row to hoe by the time it gets to the end of its second or third use life ....

And remember as you go through your various cognitive processes, there is 1/2" hardwood dowel stock, 5/8" hardwood dowel stock and 3/4" hardwood dowel stock all readily available at your local hardware or artsy craftsy store.

I used 1/2" diameter because I had it on hand and I was jest fiddlin' with the idea.  
5/8" would likely be about the ideal size with 3/4 being kinda too big diameter wise but a small flat could be put on each side to keep it properly centered with the guide.  

Length needs to get shorter as dowel diameter goes up -- larger diameters are stronger and less flexible (if that's what you think you want).

This is probably overkill taking up the slack and nets 3° advance cam timing.
But there's the idea.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/07/16 at 19:38:18

Really ! You would run your engine with a wooden dowel in it , just for 3 degrees of cam timing !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 10/07/16 at 19:47:30

Armen , Why not machine off a fin or two on forward side of cylinder at cam chain galley to create a flat area drill & tap fab up a adjuster with copper washer & locknut ! Very simple for someone with your skills

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 10/08/16 at 04:03:49

Hmm...
Interesting. Have to sit in front of the motor and scratch my head a bit. I was hung up looking at the cam sprocket. Drilling new holes in that would be high on the 'no fun' list.
thanks,
-Armen

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 10/08/16 at 05:13:51

Another thought:
Verslagen stated that a totally stretched out cam chain would retard the timing by 7 degrees. Not so stretched means fewer degrees.
The cam sprocket has 38 teeth, so each tooth is about 9.47 degrees of timing at the cam, which is 4.735 at the crank (cam moves at 1/2 of crank speed).
So, if someone is running a stretched out cam chain with the extended cam chain tensioner, probably moving the chain one tooth on the cam sprocket would bring the cam timing pretty close to stock.
Thinking out loud here...
-Armen

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/08/16 at 10:08:40

has been done... accidentally.  and it doesn't work.  common complaint is won't go past 50.

and you're comparing .070" of chain stretch vs. 1 tooth at .250" in pitch.
I say .01 is ~1°, you say 1 tooth is ~10°... I don't think so.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 10/08/16 at 16:17:38

Verslagen,
You had said a stretched chain would retard the timing about 7 degrees.
There are 38 teeth on a cam sprocket. If there were 36, each tooth would represent 10 degrees on the cam. There are 38, so each tooth is 9.4737 degrees of the cam circle.
A cam rotates at 1/2 of crank speed. Two turns on a crank make one turn on the cam.
So, 1/2 of 9.4737 is 4.737.
That is the number of degrees of crank rotation for one tooth on the camshaft.
If the cam timing (as you said) is retarded 7 degrees for a slapped out chain, then advancing the cam timing 1 tooth would result in correcting the cam timing 4.737 degrees in the right direction. With said clapped out chain, the timing would still be a bit retarded.
If the chain wasn't so clapped out, it might bring the timing back to stock.
I mention this because so many folks seem to have clapped out cam chains and use the longer cam chain tensioner.
Unless I'm missing something obvious.
-Armen

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/08/16 at 16:53:50

That's great, you can type out all those digits.  I'm not going to.
I'll have to see if I can find the file I used to calculate the numbers.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 10/08/16 at 17:06:47

I wonder how far the valves move down when fully open,if you do place a shim behind the front guide is there a chance of the valves strikeing the piston,how much is too much?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #11 - 10/08/16 at 18:58:26

Good question Batman.
When I change cams, I usually dummy up the motor with a real soft spring, set the valve clearance, rotate the motor and push down on the valves periodically to see how much piston-to-valve clearance I have.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/09/16 at 04:03:12

I wonder how accurate the notch on the cam is placed by Suzuki?  If it is only to allow the cam to be set on the correct tooth - it might not be accurate enough to used for precise cam timing.  If you are going to the trouble of "timing" the cam....then it would be time for a degree wheel and dial indicator......and some advanced motor and math skills!  (I am not saying the results wouldn't be worthwhile....it is however more advanced than most of us have done).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 10/09/16 at 04:52:27

Dave,
Exactly. If/when I do the timing, I'll def drag out my whole cam timing voodoo kit (degree wheel, piston stop, dial indicator, etc).
Just wanted to be able to do something if I found the timing to be off.
FWIW, I've never seen a stock motor where the cam timing was within 2 degrees of what the factory said it should be.
Sometimes you are lucky and the cam timing can be altered with offset cam keys. I have those for Ducs and Airhead BMWs. But with these scooters, not so easy.
To add to the entertainment value, when I do the big motor, I'll measure up combustion chamber volume and measure squish clearance. If i end up skimming a bit off the top of the barrel to tighten up the squish clearance, that'll retard the cam timing a tiny bit.
In my abundant spare time  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 10/09/16 at 09:24:30

One problem with your figuring of degrees of crank rotation.  The cam turns at half the speed of the crank.  The deg of rotation on the crank will be twice, not half, of cam rotation.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam timing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.