Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Re: Paughco 4.75 Gal.
Reply #15 - 09/30/16 at 22:55:56

If you pressure test the tank while it is empty please be very careful to
regulate the test pressure.

An empty tank is a compressed air reservoir and any structural failure
could result in explosive decompression. That fuel tank is not designed as
a pressure vessel and it could fail or distort at a surprisingly low pressure.

A test pressure of 2 or 3 PSI will reveal any leaks that gasoline could escape from.

The safest way to pressure test a vessel is to fill it completely full of liquid, supply pressure
with a small volume hand pump, and apply only the minimum necessary proof pressure.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 10/01/16 at 06:43:04

Todd

That makes sense .  Cool

I'll hook the bicycle pump to the petcock in the off position with a long enough hose to get the pump above the tank , fill the tank with water , put a thick sheet of plastic over the fill hole , add the cap and watch for leaks ... if there ain't none , Then I'll add a little pressure .    
If the water stays in I'll paint it !  Wink

Unless some-one has a better idea ?  Huh

All this help is good !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/01/16 at 06:59:11

I wouldn't fill the tank with water.....it is just asking to get the rusting process started.

Air works fine - just don't use more than a couple of pounds.  Then use some soapy water from a spray bottle on the outside of the tank to look for leaks - you really just need to check the weld seams.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 10/01/16 at 19:27:22

What would I do without you fellers ?

Just like checking for leaks after the 500 lbs LP tank gets filled .  

Smiley

I might have to add some mount to the tank to make it fit ??   I should know in a week or so ...  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 10/05/16 at 20:11:05

So the Tank came yesterday but guess what  ?

Looks like someone had it before they sent it to me .   Also looks like that same some one modified it a little before they sent it back ...

Huh

I already contacted  " revzilla "  , they are willing to send me their only other one in stock .   It might take a while to straighten this out !  Sad

1004161920a.jpg

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #20 - 10/05/16 at 21:10:17

Looking at the tank from the bottom, there is no place for the fuel to crossover from one side to the other. You could run ''dry'' with 2'' of fuel in the other side from the valve. You might need a valve on both sides.
Some people build bike stuff that looks cool, without thinking it thru about how it will work in the big picture when you actually ride it.
A old friend in NY rebuilt his Harley last year, he was a show judge for 16 years ( Rats Hole, Sturgus, Laconia) and it is a work of art! People look at it and drool. But he will never ride it 1,000 miles in 5 years!!! He looked at my bike and sneered, but I know I often ride farther in one day than he does in a year!!
I think a lot of the bobbers are in the same class, look cool, BUT, how far will they be ridden? Hard tails, no front fender, rear fender cut off 2'' behind a thin little seat, they can LOOK good and make a statement, but it will never be ''I ride 500 miles a day!''
I'm not dishing on anyone, or their style or type of bike or riding. To each his own, just be honest to one's self about it.

Re-reading this I may have stirred a hornets nest, I'm not trying to cut anyone down, everyone rides differently. BUT EVERYONE NEEDS TO RIDE!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 10/06/16 at 20:58:10

Get your money back. That is a stock set up. Have had an FXR 4.75 for almost 20 years. Will not fit in any way shape or form w/o full tunnel replacement AND a round backbone 8" longer than stock. The frame Y needs to go away.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 10/06/16 at 21:37:38

I have always suspected I'll have to make a rear mount and braise  it on .   I'll have the tank off in the next week or two and have a look at it.   I see I'll have to do something about the (lack of) cross-over-pipe too.  The pedcock side could run out of fuel and the other side have a half gallon in it !

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:35:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Paughco 4.75 Gal.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.