Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gasket maker for the Harley muffler mod? (Read 175 times)
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gasket maker for the Harley muffler mod?
09/29/16 at 11:47:38

Hey ya'll first time posting. Lurking here is a big reason why I was convinced to buy an s40.

info
9K miles
stock except cosmetically
mechanical experience is... very rusty. I live in an apartment now, so I have little to no ability to do things that don't bolt on.

Anyway...

I picked up a really nice looking Dyna muffler and have a tin can cut with the corrugated part as a crush seal as per Serowbot's great tutorial. I have two concerns/questions:

1. It's hard for me to trust the tin can because I've never seen that done before. Is there a reason I couldn't add a bead of Permatex ultra black or gold gasket maker on top and bottom of the tin to be extra sure of no leaks?

2. I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a decent clamp for this. I found this Voodoo industries 2" on Amazon that looks appropriate, but I didn't know if the one in the tutorial was so beefy because you have to really buckle down on the harley muffler or if that was just the one available. If you have a link or can tell me where to get a decent clamp at Home Depot or something? The tutorial says he got his at the dollar store... I wish my dollar store was awesome enough to carry useful things.

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted before, I definitely looked and couldn't find it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gasket maker for the Harley muffler mod?
Reply #1 - 09/29/16 at 11:54:59

RTV, black or copper of silver won't hold up to the temperature of the exhaust header.  That "gasket" stuff is made for engine blocks in water cooled cars - not for exhaust systems.  I realize that some folks have used it on their car headers - but the block is still water cooled.  The only chance you have of getting a gasket material that will seal, is if you use one that is made for mufflers.

The "best" clamp is to get the one made for the DYNA muffler...they are cheap and easy to get online, or at your local Harley dealer.  

jYAAOSwPYZU41xC&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-Harley-Softtail-Fatboy-Deuce-Muffler-Clamps-For-65900-00-65090-00-/131432404681?hash=item1e99fb56c9:gShockedjYAAOSwPYZU41xC&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Khrome-Werks-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Muffler-Clamps-f...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/29/16 at 12:20:45

Awesome thanks. Those clamps you linked look much better. I don't know why I didn't think to look for the clamps meant for the muffler I have...

Maybe I'll just head to autozone and see if they sell exhaust pipe gasket or header material and take a wrap with that. The RTV copper stuff does go up to 700deg. I could imagine the header getting hotter than that, but does the pipe? I guess I probably don't want to risk it.

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/29/16 at 13:13:40

Skip the tin can. Buy or make the angled adapter from Ryca. You'll thank me later.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/29/16 at 16:01:16

Get an adaptor pipe.

The tin can method is a poor design.

(Proper disclosure: Some people on this forum have made it work.)

Worse, without an adaptor pipe, the muffler sits at the wrong angle
for the mounting bracket.  So all of the mounting bolts, pipe clamps,
and header nuts must be progressively tightened to try to twist and
pry the muffler, header pipe, and bracket into position.
The tin can attempts to compensate for the remaining misalignment
while also attempting to seal the exhaust gases.
You may succeed, but it's shade tree mechanics at best, and only
worth a try if you can't afford an adaptor.

The adaptor is $49 from Ryca.
A local muffler shop made mine for $10.
Take your muffler and header pipe to them and ask them to make
the shortest possible adaptor pipe with a 7 degree angle bend.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 09/29/16 at 17:20:49

I couldn't get the tin can to stop leaking. I ended up using high temp silicone (rated to 600°F or so). I used aluminum foil as a spacer to take up the gap between the muffler and the header. Everything was "glued" down with silicone. The clamp I used was free so I used it. It's used to connect PVC pipes. Just get rid of the rubber part. It's been there almost 2 years and works great with no rust and no leaks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-in-No-Hub-Cast-Iron-x-3-in-Sch-40-PVC-Neo...

I used something similar to this. I think the size is 1-3/4"?  Huh

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/29/16 at 17:45:38

Clone,

I had a local muffler company bend an adapter for me, they used aluminimumized steel for the adapter.

There is nothing better made then a genuine Harley Davidson Exhaust Clamp.

I used Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer on the headpipe, the adapter & the muffler.

No leaks in 6000+ miles.

The adapter I used came out about an inch too long and I had to drill a hole in the muffler hanger to line everything up.

Kenny G
« Last Edit: 09/29/16 at 23:16:29 by Kenny G »  

IMG_0385_003.JPG
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/29/16 at 21:52:17

That's a darn good-looking rig you've got there Kenny.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 10/05/16 at 15:32:28

how do you tell when the tin can gasket is leaking?   I took a long time fitting mine, and added some bracket iron and steel bushings to get a slight angle on the muffler, about 1-2degrees.  So I was able to get the header back under the footpeg heat shield.  It's a little more tight than I like, 3-4 degrees angle would be looser.

So how do you tell when the tin can gasket is leaking - backfires?

Also wondering if I need to rejet - no backfires, it's a tiny bit louder, hardly any difference in throttle response.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/05/16 at 15:38:51

no backfires...

Hard to argue with success.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 10/05/16 at 16:35:24

ero4444 wrote on 10/05/16 at 15:32:28:
how do you tell when the tin can gasket is leaking?

Move a lit candle around the joint slowly. If the flame is being blown, you've got a leak.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #11 - 10/21/16 at 21:33:04

well, turns out it was easy to feel the exhaust leak at the joint.  I took the Dyna off, sawed 8 slots in the neck to make 8 fingers,  all the way down to the shoulder (really a little too far).  That made it flexible enough that I could bend it to about 3-4 degrees to meet the unmodified header.  I sealed all the slots up with Permatex muffler sealant and cut-tin-can gasket.  The flange end of header is NOW mating nice and straight in the crush, header now has no tension against the heat shield.  The Dyna neck is about an inch from the header-stop.  I put a fat clamp on it, 1.75" size.  Wait 30 minutes to dry, 10 minutes running to cure, no leaks!

The muffler sits better now with the intermediate add-on holey strap-iron bracket with cut-short 5/16" carriage bolts in the muffler mount, and 5/16" hex bolts into the bike mount.  

So happy, it sounds great and not obnoxious - without all the great examples here, I would not have figured this out.  Thanks to everyone.

I'll rejet later, I only have a little backfire when I snap throttle.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 10/22/16 at 17:29:33

I have had the dyna on for about two years now... and burned it out. I accelerated onto an interstate (I-10) this past week and blew chunks out of it....man did it get loud! ROFL....
So I put on the old OEM one (yeah I tend to keep a lot of stuff) and its back to being so quiet I could hear the headlight rattling...dang it! Now I got to fix something else....   Angry Grin Grin Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/23/16 at 02:19:39

ero4444 wrote on 10/21/16 at 21:33:04:
I'll rejet later, I only have a little backfire when I snap throttle.    

Don't snap the throttle...roll it on and roll it off.  The bike has a carb without an accelerator pump, and snapping the throttle in either direction creates a condition that results in a very lean mixture.  Owning a primitive big single requires that you adapt your riding style a bit.....it is part of being a good rider.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket maker for the Harley muffler mod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.