Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Observations on a high mileage engine tear down (Read 1391 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Observations on a high mileage engine tear dow
Reply #60 - 10/09/16 at 18:38:27

Yeah, it's just UhMaizing how many miles you can put on something in ten feet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #61 - 10/09/16 at 19:32:02

That's exactly 0.0018939393939393939393939393939394 miles, JOG!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #62 - 10/12/16 at 04:45:45

This is a PITA  Angry

The cylinder gasket (cylinder to head) is hard as a rock and "welded" to the surfaces.
I have tried every kind of chemical known to mechanics.  I have consulted with machine shop gurus.  
I have watched enough youtube to .. puke.  Everybody says everybody else is doing it wrong.
I am working it down, slowly.. hopefully surely.
If you want to offer up a suggesting, go right ahead.  In the mean time I will continue to use my current snake oil (CRC Gasket Remover) and scrape, scrape, scrape away..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 10/12/16 at 05:06:05

youzguyz wrote on 10/12/16 at 04:45:45:
The cylinder gasket (cylinder to head) is hard as a rock and "welded" to the surfaces. 

Well....you have been riding and heat bonding that gasket to he head far longer than anyone else ever has.

I use a piece of plexiglass that is sharpened into a plastic chisel to scrape gaskets, and it needs to be sharpened frequently.  These scrapers can also be made form Ebony or a similar very hard wood, and there are commercial gasket scrapers that are made form materials that won't scratch metal.

I also use a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper duct taped to a sheet of glass (I have a tempered piece from a small glass coffee table).  I use 360 or 400 and move the head back/forth while flushing with water to keep the paper from gumming up....and keep sanding until the head surface is clean and shiny.  I do the same with the top side of the head, head cover and valve inspection caps just to make sure everything is clean, square and without any burrs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 10/12/16 at 05:34:48

Dave wrote on 10/12/16 at 05:06:05:
youzguyz wrote on 10/12/16 at 04:45:45:

I use a piece of plexiglass that is sharpened into a plastic chisel to scrape gaskets, and it needs to be sharpened frequently.  These scrapers can also be made form Ebony or a similar very hard wood, and there are commercial gasket scrapers that are made form materials that won't scratch metal.

http://i63.tinypic.com/166jce8.jpg

If you have a ski shop in your area you can get a plastic wax scraper much like Dave described.  We sharpen those by running them down a file lying flat on a work bench after every few passes (when waxing skis).  

For engine work, I grew up using razor blades but you do have to be careful not to dig into the metal.  Sandpaper or emery cloth for final clean up is fine as long as you don't sand low spots into the surface.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #65 - 10/12/16 at 05:45:45

This stuff laughs at plastic scrapers of any kind.. even after a soaking in the removal snake oil.
Once I get it down to metal I will cleanup with a fine sandpaper attached to a known flat surface, like that glass Dave mentioned.

I am using the "90 degree with a razor blade scrape" method, and I have dullled 3 razor blades so far.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 10/12/16 at 05:49:18

Have you tried using a heat gun to soften things up?  They are cheap at your local home improvement store and come in handy for lots of stuff.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 10/12/16 at 06:16:39

Well they do make gasket remover things the fit into an air tool/drill....they are a rotary Scotch Bright pad and they work great on cast iron and steel.  You have to be really careful with them on aluminum, especially when you are near the edges as they will remove aluminum and round off the corners (they should not be used on the thin surfaces of the engine side covers or the cylinder head cover).  You might be able to use them safely on the big flat areas of the cylinder head.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #68 - 10/12/16 at 06:23:04

ohiomoto wrote on 10/12/16 at 05:49:18:
Have you tried using a heat gun to soften things up?  They are cheap at your local home improvement store and come in handy for lots of stuff.

not yet.  I don't have a heat gun, but I do have a propane torch.  I am tempted...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #69 - 10/12/16 at 06:23:36

Extreme care with a wide file has been something I have done.
Gotta keep it unclogged, tho.

I've used wood chisels, bevel down, to get it down close.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #70 - 10/12/16 at 06:24:49

Dave wrote on 10/12/16 at 06:16:39:
Well they do make gasket remover things the fit into an air tool/drill....they are a rotary Scotch Bright pad and they work great on cast iron and steel.  You have to be really careful with them on aluminum, especially when you are near the edges as they will remove aluminum and round off the corners (they should not be used on the thin surfaces of the engine side covers or the cylinder head cover).  You might be able to use them safely on the big flat areas of the cylinder head.

I am leary of anything that abrades like that.  The gasket material appears to be harder than the aluminum.  So anything that contact both surfaces at once... bad news.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 10/12/16 at 06:57:19

youzguyz wrote on 10/12/16 at 06:23:04:

not yet.  I don't have a heat gun, but I do have a propane torch.  I am tempted...

I'd stick to the heat gun.  You want to get it hot without burning your motor to a crisp.

Google "heat gun gasket removal".  It works for most people.  I mean you can remove old paint with a heat gun.  I use mine for everything from to custom fitting ski boots to rebuilding golf clubs.   Just get one, you won't regret it.  Smiley

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #72 - 10/12/16 at 07:03:57

ohiomoto wrote on 10/12/16 at 06:57:19:
youzguyz wrote on 10/12/16 at 06:23:04:

I'd stick to the heat gun.  You want to get it hot without burning your motor to a crisp.

Google "heat gun gasket removal".  It works for most people.  I mean you can remove old paint with a heat gun.  I use mine for everything from to custom fitting ski boots to rebuilding golf clubs.   Just get one, you won't regret it.  Smiley

I will go get one.. as I have need of a medium heat source before (between hair dryer and propane).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #73 - 10/12/16 at 07:37:34

I have a butane soldering iron, about forty bucks, pull the end off and it's a tight blue fire. The heat is not at all like a MAPPgas or butane plumbers soldering torch. Controllable by moving it along, but a genuine heat gun is probably the easiest, safest bet. Adhesives get soft when they get good and hot.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #74 - 10/12/16 at 08:15:42

YouzGuyz,

If your wife has EasyOff oven cleaner you might want to try a dab of it on a spot on the gasket to see what it does.

When the EasyOff is finished working rinse it off with hot soapy water as it will tarnish aluminum.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Observations on a high mileage engine tear down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.