Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Observations on a high mileage engine tear down (Read 1391 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Observations on a high mileage engine tear dow
Reply #15 - 10/01/16 at 12:44:27

That is indeed impressive mileage.

I don't know how one of those old British singles would have stacked up. Not so well I think, especially with an open carb!

I had an old 46000 miles -when I got it- BSA B31, 350, It plugged on for a few more years as far as I know. It would rattle your teeth loose, solid frame rear end as well. Those were the days, I think?  Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/01/16 at 22:07:45

Kris01 wrote on 10/01/16 at 09:27:46:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/01/16 at 07:54:11:
I don't know what the rpm is at sixty...

A little over 4000.  Wink

Thanks,  the little thing spun quite a few times..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 10/01/16 at 23:29:51

I quickly figured about 620,000,000 revolutions at 4000 rpm. But I'm not a mathematical genius. 620 million.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 10/02/16 at 06:44:45

And the price keeps going up.  Sad

Both chain tensioner guides are cracked.  Photo's  have been added to the set at: http://imgur.com/a/RhTYO
Some cracks are almost all the way through.  The plastic feels brittle.

Anybody have gently used ones laying around?  Roll Eyes

The cylinder and piston look OK:
No scoring on the piston skirt.
No scoring on the cylinder.  No detectable ridge on the cylinder at TDC, just expected discoloration.

Even so, consensus from my mechanic friends say to bore and hone it out to the next ring size (10 over?) to avoid any possibility of future problems.
Plan is to take it to a reputable place that does such things for motorcycles and see what they say.

I re-arranged the order of the images so most recent ones are at the top.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #19 - 10/02/16 at 12:53:48

If you don't have a noticeable ridge then your wear is probably minimal.  I would find a reputable shop or dealer than can measure your cylinder and piston for wear.  Check it to suzuki specs.   If all looks good then go for a hone with a bar hone not a ball hone.  That will true up any small imperfections.   I wouldn't waste the money on an over bore if there isn't a good reason to need to do it.  New rings and roll.

Make sure you put in new piston circlips.  They are not worth having pop out at this stage.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/04/16 at 06:36:23

This engine build would cause me to do some thorough soul searching.

On the one hand - the motor is most likely the highest mileage Savage engine on the planet.  It would be nice to do as little as possible and see just how long the other parts can go.  If the cylinder is good, and the piston is good...maybe the rings are just worn out or the tension has relaxed a bit.  Clean and inspect things, throw in some rings, valve seals and other rubber parts/gaskets and head plug to stop any future leaks, and get it back on the road so you can start racking up more miles ASAP.

On the other hand - if you want to go for another 150,000 miles before you pull it apart again....maybe more parts need to be removed/replaced.  Rings grooves in the piston do wear and change shape which makes it so the rings don't work as well as they used to.  Exhaust valve stems do stretch over time, and ultimately the valve can come apart.  Your rocker arms are the old 1 piece style - and they are not as durable as the newer 2 piece style on the 2005 and later bikes (although your choice of oils has proven the 1 piece rockers can hold up to a lot of use).  I have no idea how long crank and counterbalance shaft bearings can last.  And.....I can't leave well enough alone and I am sure I would be using a new 94mm Wiseco rather than using a stock piston with 150,000+ miles on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 10/04/16 at 06:44:15

I still think you should at least let corporate office Suzuki know that a 155,000 mile Savage exists. It's probably the highest miles ever Seen on one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/04/16 at 07:03:36

Some of you kids won't get this but...

And I know what Dave is saying.  I would probably do the minimum and see how long I can run it.  Just because. Smiley

On the other hand, my OCD would kick in and I would invest more money into the motor than the bike is worth only to have it blow up a month later.   Sad

« Last Edit: 10/04/16 at 11:29:52 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 10/04/16 at 11:11:54

I hope the bore is not too out of round or too wide at the top.
The ridge, mentioned earlier, is a fair clue.
The bearings have Literally been around, and around,, if you can't just hone, check the piston ring grooves and wrist pin,,
I don't see boring and working the bottom end harder with a meaner top end,. I WOULD, but only after I talked to and got it looked at by someone I really trusted.
If you got 155,000 miles out of it already, just how healthy is the bottom end?
Have you done any
Pushing, pulling, shoving, seeing what the crankshaft will do?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 10/04/16 at 11:32:05

Dave wrote on 10/04/16 at 06:36:23:
This engine build would cause me to do some thorough soul searching.

On the one hand - the motor is most likely the highest mileage Savage engine on the planet.  It would be nice to do as little as possible and see just how long the other parts can go.  If the cylinder is good, and the piston is good...maybe the rings are just worn out or the tension has relaxed a bit.  Clean and inspect things, throw in some rings, valve seals and other rubber parts/gaskets and head plug to stop any future leaks, and get it back on the road so you can start racking up more miles ASAP.

On the other hand - if you want to go for another 150,000 miles before you pull it apart again....maybe more parts need to be removed/replaced.  Rings grooves in the piston do wear and change shape which makes it so the rings don't work as well as they used to.  Exhaust valve stems do stretch over time, and ultimately the valve can come apart.  Your rocker arms are the old 1 piece style - and they are not as durable as the newer 2 piece style on the 2005 and later bikes (although your choice of oils has proven the 1 piece rockers can hold up to a lot of use).  I have no idea how long crank and counterbalance shaft bearings can last.  And.....I can't leave well enough alone and I am sure I would be using a new 94mm Wiseco rather than using a stock piston with 150,000+ miles on it.

My intent is the first hand.  I will be doing as little as possible so it stays "stock" and on original parts.  At the same time, I will be doing all that needs done to make a fix "right" and not just a half fix to save a few $.
I.E.
Replace the rings, but not the piston unless it needs to go up a size or is out of spec.
Yes, hone the cylinder, but not bore it unless it is too far out.
Those will be decided by the machine shop.  Just dropped it off today.  They will call and let me know.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 10/04/16 at 11:35:44

pay attention to the fit of the skirt of the piston to the cylinder.
excessive wear is noted as a cause for piston slap.

and if you have wear, you might consider plating the piston.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 10/04/16 at 11:46:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/04/16 at 11:11:54:
I hope the bore is not too out of round or too wide at the top.
The ridge, mentioned earlier, is a fair clue.
The bearings have Literally been around, and around,, if you can't just hone, check the piston ring grooves and wrist pin,,
I don't see boring and working the bottom end harder with a meaner top end,. I WOULD, but only after I talked to and got it looked at by someone I really trusted.
If you got 155,000 miles out of it already, just how healthy is the bottom end?
Have you done any
Pushing, pulling, shoving, seeing what the crankshaft will do?

I did a bunch of pushing pulling shoving and smacking to check the bottom end bearings.  Everything rotates super smooth.  No bearing "click" in the smack test.  There is no vertical play in the crank or connecting rod that I can detect.  Minimal side play where the connecting rod connects to the crankshaft.

I'm not going to open it up any further.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 10/04/16 at 11:46:37

Back in my day (cough, cough)....the local machine shop could knurl the piston skirt and make the fit tight again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #28 - 10/04/16 at 11:55:24

verslagen1 wrote on 10/04/16 at 11:35:44:
pay attention to the fit of the skirt of the piston to the cylinder.
excessive wear is noted as a cause for piston slap.

and if you have wear, you might consider plating the piston.

I left the piston with the machine shop as well.. and a copy of the engine specs.  I will not go cheap on the piston.  If it is worn out of specs, it gets replaced.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #29 - 10/04/16 at 12:07:08

And I finally got around to checking the clutch disks.
As I mentioned at first, I am having issues with the clutch slipping in 5th gear.

The measurement I show is the smallest I saw on a given disk.

Odd disk Specs: Std 3.45 to 3.55  Wear Limit: 3.15
Mine: 3.45

Specs for the other disks:
Std: 2.92 to 3.08  Wear Limit: 2.62
Mine:
Disk 1: 2.85
Disk 2: 2.87
Disk 3: 2.85
Disk 4: 2.84
Disk 5: 2.90

So, disks are all at or below the lower "Standard" thickness, but not down to the wear limit.

The springs are still within spec.

Pictures of the disks are here: http://imgur.com/a/RhTYO
They look OK.  Not glazed, not burned.

I am getting a gently used clutch to replace mine.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:32:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Observations on a high mileage engine tear down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.