Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Observations on a high mileage engine tear down (Read 1391 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Observations on a high mileage engine tear dow
Reply #105 - 12/03/16 at 14:01:54

youzguyz wrote on 12/03/16 at 13:44:55:
Re-assembly is under way.  No "major" ooops yet.  

I know a proper break in is important, and I intend to stick to the rules:
no more than 1/3 throttle for 1st 500 miles.  Vary throttle as much as possible, Change oil and filter at 500 miles.

Question.  What should I use for "break in" oil?  Clymers says single weight oil for that purpose.
Better question.. what have some of you that have done the over bore, piston replace, etc used for a break in oil?  

Thanks!

Rot T with extra ZDDP, bring it up to 1500.

for break in, this is what I did and beast is running great.  well, at least it isn't burning oil.   Grin

Quote:
On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

And for the 1st couple of times, what the warm up.  You want to gradually build up heat and let the seals break in gently.  I did 15 mins, then let it cool completely, next time 30 mins, then cool.  from then on you should be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Observations on a high mileage engine tear dow
Reply #106 - 12/04/16 at 03:07:21

You are not in the same situation as a "new" engine.  Your cam and rockers are already broken in, all the bottom end parts are original, and your piston and cylinder were within spec - but they are worn and not as tight as a new engine would be.....and new valves don't need a break in.

The only thing that you are breaking in are the rings, and those will take a little bit of time to get seated as the oil does provide a very good protection against friction.  Avoid long periods of constant rpm, don't run the engine at high rpm for a couple hundred miles, and don't get it really hot.  It is best not to let the engine idle for any length of time (STOP light duration is OK) - but once you get it running again take it out for a ride right away and get some resistance on the engine.  I didn't do any full throttle runs on my engine when it was rebuilt - but I did do some 1/2 throttle acceleration and coasting to get compression and vacuum loads on the rings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Observations on a high mileage engine tear down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.