Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2-stroke Question (Read 89 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2-stroke Question
09/29/16 at 07:59:32

Hi All! I've been away for awhile, still thumpin' on the S40. It seems to get better with the miles. I started a new project. I picked up a 1986 Honda CT110 aka "Postie" and "Trail Cub". Fortunately, Honda still produces them for Australia, Asia, and Africa, so parts can be had. So after another $500 and 6 weeks, it's back together and runnin' fine. Life in the (really) SLOW lane.

Now the question: It seems 2-stroke motorcycles became illegal for street use around 1986 (EPA). OK for off-road (dirt bikes, sno-mo's, OB motor boats, etc.). But there is a bunch of new Chinese 50cc scooters that are 2-stroke. I hoping someone can shed some light on this. Regarding pollution, my first bike was a  '68 Smokin' Suzi Savage, TS-250. But what with synthetic 2-stroke oil now, my weed whacker and snow-thrower barely make any smoke at all. So are 50cc scooters exempt? I ask because, if you've noticed Suzuki is now putting catalytic converters on their TU-250x and other models. So what are the laws (ignore California) regarding motorcycles and pollution controls now?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2-stroke Question
Reply #1 - 09/29/16 at 08:22:19

On January 1, 2016 a whole new set of rules was adopted across Europe.  The rules are titled Regulation (EU) No. 168/2013, and it sets new emission limits, and it also requires ABS brakes and emission diagnostic systems (check engine light kinda stuff).  Starting on January 1, 2016 all new production bikes are affected, and bike models that are currently in production will have to meet the new requirements by January 1, 2017.  These regulation do affect how new and existing bikes will need to be built - and it can affect what will stay in production and be available in the US (even if the US doesn't adopt the same rules).

If you have the time to read through this....it is most likely in here.

http://www.eltis.org/sites/eltis/files/celex-32013r0168-en-txt.pdf

I do believe that the 50cc stuff is exempt from a lot of stuff in the US........including a need for a license and insurance.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/29/16 at 11:14:26

Thanks, Dave. I'll have a look at it. I was also sort of wondering why there seems to be a renewed interest (and market) for vintage ('60s, '70s, '80s) Japanese motorcycles recently. Besides nostalgia, and a saturated Harley-Davidson market, this new reg I was unaware of might be the cause. I'm already getting offers for the CT-110, but I kind of like the little dude.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/29/16 at 11:31:56

HAPPYDAN wrote on 09/29/16 at 11:14:26:
I was also sort of wondering why there seems to be a renewed interest (and market) for vintage ('60s, '70s, '80s) Japanese motorcycles recently.

It is just the next collecting "fad", as they can be bought affordably, and some are in good condition and don't need to be restored.  Only a few people can afford the early Harley, Indian, Vincent, Aerial, HRD & Brough motorcycles.  Triumph, BSA and similar bikes are becoming valuable enough that they are out of reach for a lot of us.  Japanese bikes are still relatively easy to find and are affordable - however a few are rare/desirable bikes that can be worth a lot of money....a fully restored 1968 Honda Z50 "slantguard" Mini-Trail could sell for $ 5,000 a few years ago if it was a proper restoration.

And....early Japanese bikes are easy to get parts for and work on, they are reliable, and they can be ridden regularly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/29/16 at 12:50:20

HAPPYDAN wrote on 09/29/16 at 11:14:26:
I was also sort of wondering why there seems to be a renewed interest (and market) for vintage ('60s, '70s, '80s) Japanese motorcycles recently.

Easy answer, they are fun to ride. Many people owned them when they were new or slightly used and are nostalgic for bikes they may have owned (or missed an opportunity to own) back in the day.

I have quite a long list of bikes from that era that I would now love to own.

« Last Edit: 09/29/16 at 15:19:17 by verslagen1 »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
War Chief
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/04/16 at 03:36:03

Quote:
I have quite a long list of bikes from that era that I would now love to own.

That's why I'm here.  I chewed on the idea of a Savage project for 30 years and finally got off my butt and got started...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/04/16 at 06:40:39

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKvqouPYTLQ

Buddy o mine had one of these. It wasn't any kinda dangerously fast, but even at twenty one or two, I thought it was quite a thrill. I always thought that air scoop on the head looked good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:34:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2-stroke Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.