Send Topic Print
loud chirping ls650 (Read 422 times)
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

loud chirping ls650
09/28/16 at 13:25:55

i have 87 savage ls650 bobber its making a loud chirping noise while riding its not coming from the belt side more the right side exhaust..is this normal...hate to keep riding and mess something up....besides that bike runs,drives great any help would be awesome....

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Re: loud whining ls650
Reply #1 - 09/28/16 at 13:33:40

if on deceleration normal so i am told i drove 4 before i bought one .they all had it . gets a little better when hot. #4 the one i now own  started doing it in the first week

IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/28/16 at 13:40:28

sounds kinda like a turbo on it

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #3 - 09/28/16 at 13:43:14

deceleration ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/28/16 at 13:51:16

In all cases, noises should be tracked down to determine if it's a problem or not.

A belt whine is not very concerning.
A bearing whine would be a big problem.

You can pick up a cheap mech's stethoscope at harbor freight or just use a screwdriver.

I had an intermittent whine that turned out to be a bearing going bad.
Couldn't locate it till it went bad.

WWW   IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/28/16 at 13:51:34

sounds more like a chirping sound when letting off the gas also my muffler has a baffle inside would that make the chirping

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: loud chirping ls650
Reply #6 - 09/28/16 at 15:36:37

Eliminate the belt squeaking before you get carried away with other stuff.  Could just be that, then life's good. I know you said it sounds like it's from the exhaust side but wth. The check takes moments and costs nothing. Spray the belt with water and go for a quick spin. The water will very temporarily lubricate the belt and shut the squeak down cor a minute. Then you'll know it's just that. They guys here can recommend some kind of "belt dressing" they use. I just wiped some surfboard wax on it cause it was handy. Double check the alignment as well if it's squeaky.
Good luck.
(maybe a clue as to your mechanical ability so you don't get talked down to please?)

IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/28/16 at 19:29:51

It makes the noise sitting still just louder when riding I checked the belt I got the 90 degree bend

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 09/29/16 at 01:22:48

right. that rules out the belt then. does it go away with the clutch pulled in? if it doesn't, that'll eliminate the gearbox as the source.
maybe its the muffler making that stupid volkswagen whistle.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/29/16 at 05:56:40

hardlucktattoo wrote on 09/28/16 at 19:29:51:
It makes the noise sitting still just louder when riding I checked the belt I got the 90 degree bend

If you hear it sitting still and you are sure it's the same noise, then it couldn't be the belt.

That said/FYI, the "90 degree" test, that does not rule out the belt. All that tells you is that you have the correct tension.  I found that belt alignment was causing my chirping.  I tried a few methods on here but ultimately using the alignment lines on the swingarm was the magic ticket.

My belt ended up riding slightly to towards the right side of the rear pulley and almost right against the left side of the front pulley.  Don't think that the belt "has" to ride perfectly centered on both pulley at once.  Our bikes are not built with that kind of precision.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/29/16 at 06:35:36

ohiomoto wrote on 09/29/16 at 05:56:40:
My belt ended up riding slightly to towards the right side of the rear pulley and almost right against the left side of the front pulley.  Don't think that the belt "has" to ride perfectly centered on both pulley at once.  Our bikes are not built with that kind of precision.  

The pulley bearing does get worn, and it allows the rear pulley to be pulled out of alignment with the wheel and front pulley - and as it wears the belt will ride toward the outside edge of the pulley.

You can help reduce the "wobble" by installing some floor mat shims in the rear hub.  Grab the front and back of your pulley, and see if you can wobble it (not rotate it) - if so...you should do the floor mat shims as described in the link below.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1446828836/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 09/29/16 at 07:02:44

I remember the BSA Gold Stars, 500 single, would do that. Have never heard it on my S40.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/29/16 at 07:04:19

norm92de wrote on 09/29/16 at 07:02:44:
I remember the BSA Gold Stars, 500 single, would do that. Have never heard it on my S40.

Do What? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 09/29/16 at 07:48:18

If you are sure that it's not drive belt related, then the first place I'd look is the airbox and the tube beteen the airbox and the carb. Intake "honk" happens when things get a little out of whack.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
hardlucktattoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/29/16 at 07:59:47

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/29/16 at 07:48:18:
If you are sure that it's not drive belt related, then the first place I'd look is the airbox and the tube beteen the airbox and the carb. Intake "honk" happens when things get a little out of whack.

Mine is a bobber alot of work has been done to frame and suspension I have no turn signals, horn,or speedo, and the noise is not coming from belt the carb is still in the same place under tank it had a new smaller air filter. But I do have a hose coming from the right side top motor with a really small air filter I do here some chirping out of that just not loud. When I Rev it up the chirp is extremely loud

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:34:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loud chirping ls650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.