Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
GET TO DA CHOPPA (Read 377 times)
Rayven

Colorado
GET TO DA CHOPPA
09/28/16 at 12:07:47

Hey all! It's been some time since I've been on here and thought I would share the progress on my little savage chopper project.

During the tear down, I had the idea of installing some mini apes but overall decided against it...for now...(PS not sure why some of these pictures are in that position, no matter how many times I rotate it I can't get it straight up and down, sorry)

Cut the horns off

« Last Edit: 10/03/16 at 08:44:57 by Rayven »  

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Re: GET TO DA CHOPPA
Reply #1 - 09/28/16 at 12:26:58

Welded on this awesome little ring for the top mount for my new p-nut tank, that I can also run my wires through. (With the perfect amount of clearance, even though it looks super close)

Cut a mount for the bottom mount for the tank and welded on

Made and welded on a solo seat bracket for an old solo Harley seat I got off of craigslist for $30. On the top photo if you look down between the air box and the seat mount you can see the spot I made for the rectifier.

Here is a shot of the backside of the rectifier mount

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/28/16 at 12:38:07

I had originally bought a trailer fender to use, however my buddy who was helping with the welding had a Harley fender given to him that he wasn't going to use so he passed it onto me. We had to trim it a length wise a bit, but it fit perfect and we drilled some holes through the swing arm to mount it. The solenoid will now be mounted on the original tank bottom mount, who knew if would fit perfectly there!

Bent up some metal for the sissy bar, mounted to both the swing arm and fender.

My boyfriend and our buddy cutting the bars to get the perfect point

Sissy bar final outcome (minus some paint, tail light, license plate and turn signals)

And finally how she sits now...I just need to put a few things on, finish up some painting and hook up the electrical. The plan is to have her riding by the weekend!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 09/28/16 at 17:10:52

Cool! The back mudguard looks killer. Looks like it fits really nicely. I'm not a sissy bar guy, but to each their own. Nice of you to include the customary "hipster with grinder" shot (meant in the nicest possible way  Wink ). Good luck for the weekend, have a great ride!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 09/28/16 at 17:36:44

Looks great so far! Remember to give us some final pics!

BTW, I love the Arnold reference!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/28/16 at 19:44:48

You probably fired your daddy years ago,
But
The front pulley, where the belt engages it, will simply masticate anything that get in the pinch point.
Looks great, just can't see no front fender.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 09/29/16 at 14:31:11

I've never had a problem with the pulley. Is there any record of a forum member getting caught in the pulley?

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/29/16 at 15:29:37

gizzo wrote on 09/28/16 at 17:10:52:
Cool! The back mudguard looks killer. Looks like it fits really nicely. I'm not a sissy bar guy, but to each their own. Nice of you to include the customary "hipster with grinder" shot (meant in the nicest possible way  Wink ). Good luck for the weekend, have a great ride!

Thanks!

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/29/16 at 15:30:58

Kris01 wrote on 09/28/16 at 17:36:44:
Looks great so far! Remember to give us some final pics!

BTW, I love the Arnold reference!  Grin

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have some photos of her all put together! However there is always the chance there will be more things changed down the road Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/29/16 at 15:32:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/28/16 at 19:44:48:
You probably fired your daddy years ago,
But
The front pulley, where the belt engages it, will simply masticate anything that get in the pinch point.
Looks great, just can't see no front fender.

Funny, my daddy actually lost a few pant legs on his Harley that way...but I bought it without one and thanks to my not so loose pants I haven't had any issue  Wink
Knock on wood of course

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 09/29/16 at 16:09:21

Looks nice, I still don't get the peanut tank though, I'm tired of 100 miles per tank, peanut will probably only get you like 75  Sad  Great look though,  good pics, all in all, would you say it was what you wanted?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #11 - 09/29/16 at 18:02:04

old_rider wrote on 09/29/16 at 16:09:21:
Looks nice, I still don't get the peanut tank though, I'm tired of 100 miles per tank, peanut will probably only get you like 75  Sad  Great look though,  good pics, all in all, would you say it was what you wanted?

It's totally what I wanted! Finding a good way to route the electrical is driving me nuts but it's coming together! I'd really like to get another smaller triangle headlight to mount on top of the current triangle, and I have dreams of a springer front end...but we will see!

I have trip scheduled later in October for Babes Ride Out, so fingers crossed she'll do well! I'll be riding from Broomfield Colorado to Joshua Tree California...that's when the real comfort of everything will be really tested!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/29/16 at 20:34:45

I don't expect anyone to shove a toe in, but if you fall and wind up on or under the bike, whatever gets in the pinch point is getting mangled.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/30/16 at 03:26:45

gizzo wrote on 09/29/16 at 14:31:11:
I've never had a problem with the pulley. Is there any record of a forum member getting caught in the pulley?

On my Cafe' conversion - my feet are right up against the pulley cover, and I did have my shoe lace blow through the little slotted holes and get caught in the pulley - it yanked my shoe lace and just pulled it in two.

On the stock bike your feet/pants are forward when riding - so likely your pants are not near the pulley when things are moving.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/30/16 at 06:26:50

I had a circle burned on parts of a shirt.
It was from landing on the front wheel, in the ditch.
Many people have ridden without the guard.
Nobody has been hurt.
I think it's a bad idea to not have something that stops things from getting in the pinch point. Just a good wire.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 20:38:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › GET TO DA CHOPPA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.