Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Front Big Brake Kit Upgrade (Read 1707 times)
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Front Big Brake Kit Upgrade
09/27/16 at 15:04:26

This is my latest version of the brake kit upgrade. Included is the following

• New 1-piece rotor made of standard motorcycle rotor material to my design. 320mm versus the stock 260mm.
  • New anodized aluminum caliper adapter bracket with hardware
  • Rebuilt used 4 piston caliper appropriate for use with the stock master cylinder
  • Used OE sintered metal brake pads

The brake kit reduces brake system compliance (spongy lever feel) that comes from the inefficiency of the single piston slider caliper. Note that your ability to brake efficiently is directly related to the condition of your front tire. An old hard tire will not grip the road well. The caliper accepts the stock or aftermarket brake hose.

svbota@hotmail.com

$399 shipped within USPS flat rate areas
(before Paypal fees)
Add $30 USD to ship to Canada.

Note that in order to make a low quantity kit without investing heavily in tooling for each part, some components are used take-offs from other motorcycles. Price reflects current market for these components plus margin for me to offer this product to you. For reference, the retail price for a loaded brand new caliper is about $400. The kit has been tested and works as it should. Rider assumes all responsibility for installation and proper bleeding of the brake system.

Replacement parts are readily available through me or I will point you in the right direction.

This brake kit supersedes my last kit:http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1391549028/0
The 1-piece rotor directly replaces the 2-piece rotor.

Concerns: I currently work in ISO and have worked in TS16949 Automotive quality management system. I am very familiar with #1 Design Engineering, #2 Brake system design, #3 Engineering requirements and blueprint creation and revision control including GD&T, #4 Quality Control, #5 Machining using CNC mills and lathes, grinders, manual machines etc. What I am terrible in is business management. My kit is priced fairly low for the investment but I am working on part.

Disclaimer: The seller does not claim that installing this brake kit will prevent motorcycle accidents. The buyer assumes all risks associated with the installation and use of this brake kit. This includes proper assembly and maintenance of all components and bleeding of the brake system. The buyer should confirm that the brake system is working properly, such as all pistons moving in and out of the caliper without getting stuck. The buyer must properly break in the brake system as the initial use of the brakes will not be optimal until a pad transfer layer is present on the rotor. The buyer will properly torque all bolts and add Loctite if necessary to keep hardware from coming loose from vibration. Changing the friction compound of the brake pad is the sole responsibility of the buyer. Organic and sintered pads have both been tested and work well with the kit.
« Last Edit: 12/26/19 at 17:27:33 by RycaShawn »  

BBK-072816.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Front Big Brake Kit Upgrade
Reply #1 - 09/29/16 at 10:15:30

I like the new one-piece rotor. The BBK is a great upgrade and safety improvement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/29/16 at 16:32:06

How much just for the disc & bracket and pointers to the rest of the hardware ?

« Last Edit: 10/02/16 at 06:06:22 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/02/16 at 03:46:26

Is there a issue with the 2 piece rotor ?

Is it lighter than the 2 piece ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 10/04/16 at 10:48:32

LANCER wrote on 09/29/16 at 16:32:06:

I have attempted to sell the kit without the caliper and let the buyer find his own caliper. The buyer ended up purchasing two calipers because the first caliper was seized. I have been rebuilding these calipers and can testify that this is a 50% chance of a possibility. My sales also tell me that no one really wants to take that responsibility so I am not offering it that way.

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 10/04/16 at 10:54:19

Ruttly wrote on 10/02/16 at 03:46:26:
Is there a issue with the 2 piece rotor ?

Is it lighter than the 2 piece ?

The two piece rotor was too expensive to make with limited resources for parts. Making a new rotor from raw material is more cost effective and almost limitless in supply. The 1 piece rotor was of course cheaper to make over a brand new 2 piece rotor which would have increased the final kit price.

The old 2 piece design had a thickness of about 4.5mm. The 1 piece rotor has been increased to 5.0mm. I don't have weight comparisons but they are likely very similar in weight. The 5.0mm change may make the 1 piece rotor slightly heavier.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/04/16 at 19:12:45

RycaShawn wrote on 10/04/16 at 10:48:32:
LANCER wrote on 09/29/16 at 16:32:06:

I have attempted to sell the kit without the caliper and let the buyer find his own caliper. The buyer ended up purchasing two calipers because the first caliper was seized. I have been rebuilding these calipers and can testify that this is a 50% chance of a possibility. My sales also tell me that no one really wants to take that responsibility so I am not offering it that way.

I understand your reasoning.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/17/17 at 09:51:04

I am going to bump this back to the top.....some new members don't know about this cool kit!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ranger4219
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bucks County, Pa.
Reply #8 - 03/21/17 at 15:12:39

Has anyone bought the kit yet and installed it on their Savage/S40?
Is the 4 piston caliper a main stream production piece that could be bought new instead of rebuilt.  I see your pricing for the new caliper alone is $400 dollars. I realize it would increase costs of the kit.

Maybe an install vid for newbies like me. Its nice that it is a complete kits makes the install easier in the driveway.

"Only the journey is written not the destination"
Ranger4219   IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #9 - 03/21/17 at 15:31:23

There are a good couple dozen or so kits in the field.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 03/21/17 at 21:06:37

I have one of the first generation brake kits and it works EXCEEDINGLY WELL.  It will bring you to a stop in very short order with just one finger on the brake lever.  If you get froggy and want to see what it will do with a full pull, it can stand you up on your face.  There is a little learning curve to effectively work this brake.  
I fully endorse his brake kit.
If you have the $$ then get it, you will not be disappointed at all.
In fact, you cannot help but grin when playing with it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 03/21/17 at 21:49:51

I have this kit on my street tracker. Wow am I happy with it ! Stops you smoothly and quickly with very little effort , two fingers ! Super easy install too and of course the most important thing , it looks Cool .
Worth every penny , worthy investment !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ranger4219
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bucks County, Pa.
Reply #12 - 03/21/17 at 22:18:59

Wow thanks guys much appreciated on the kit. A big thumbs up!  Smiley

"Only the journey is written not the destination"
Ranger4219   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 03/22/17 at 17:35:27

This is on my wish list. I've been squirreling away money for it since December. Getting closer

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 03/22/17 at 20:05:44

Ranger & Mike , The performance of the brake combined with the easy installation makes it worth it. You guys won't be disappointed !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/15/24 at 22:02:40

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Front Big Brake Kit Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.