Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old eyes, pistol and rifle sights (Read 310 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Old eyes, pistol and rifle sights
Reply #15 - 10/05/16 at 11:21:14

Art, these sights are only good for about 150 200 yards on a deer or pig sized target because there is no magnification involved.

North Carolina has woods everywhere the deer and pigs are, so you can't see more than 100 yards anyway.

Folks will be shooting the guns since I will be bringing them to future scoot and shoot events, so you can get some other opinions from the other people before jumping in yourself.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/05/16 at 11:25:56

nstead of using the side of your cheek as your touch reference as with other rifles, you have to use the point of your chin touching the top of the stock.

Everything else in your very good report gets my blood pumping. That just sounds really hard.
The SKS rear sight is close enough to the front that I can choose which one is fuzzy or both kinda fuzzy, but, front sight,, I really wanna see that.
I've stopped shooting for fun..watching accuracy go down with practice isn't much fun.
The pistols, ehh, not much difference between now and a coupla years ago,, but some..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/05/16 at 18:39:54

The issue with the Steyr rifle is that the front sight gets in the way of a true "down low and tight" red dot install to the barrel.

To get rid of the riser that is used now would require removing the front sight band  (shrunk in place solder tech) which is not undoable or somehow slicing a series of slots and recesses into the scope mount itself.  

Another method would be to shorten the wood forend which would require cutting off the wood and refitting the front stacking rod assembly.   This is "more doable" as it just involves cutting and filing wood.    

But doing this in a visually appealing way and then providing a means of holding the two pieces of wood together out at the end has to be figured out.

Both theoretical fixes are pending some shooting results that show enough accuracy to make either of these efforts worthwhile.    I can judge the gun before doing the work, in other words.

« Last Edit: 10/09/16 at 14:25:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/09/16 at 14:41:06

Gun shot well, two shots touching at 50 yards is enough to promote the next stage of development -- shorten the stock and re-bed the barrel.

Mausers are clamp bedded with wood out at the end of the forearm.   It was cheap, easy to do and fairly accurate.   Mauser accuratizing people are split between full bedding and free floating the barrel, with each camp getting varying results on a gun by gun basis.  

They are old war guns after all, and asking them to do a single minute of angle is a little bit much to ask, really.   My best cast mauser (so far anyway) was hard pressed to do six minutes at 100 yards, reliably.   8 minutes was more common, but that was with 6 cavity mold dropped cast bullets which simply are not as repeatable as jacketed bullets generally speaking.

I decided to use a silicone bedding method on the entire thin part of the stock out at the end after I cut it off and rounded it a bit.   I left a tiny portion of the original compressed wood bedding saddle to act as an alignment feature, since my stock is apparently warped a bit and the clamp saddle zone was off to one side a little tiny bit.  

Silicon sealant bedding is noted for dampening vibrations pretty well and it can be mechanically strong enough to hold a front end together without requiring reusing the old forend clamping band arrangement (ie cutting on the steel).   This seemed very doable to me.

Wink       of course you ain't taking it apart, ever again, neither ......

« Last Edit: 10/09/16 at 21:06:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20161009_174019.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 10/10/16 at 11:37:17

Well now, new mount parts came in and got installed ...... side of chin on side of rifle butt works just fine now.

You will notice that the tall front sight blade had to come off as the new mount is just that low and just that tight to the barrel ......

Wink      ..... this is turning slowly into an A-1 bubba truck gun fer them "the surprise is on you" oinkers and bambi   i.e. a rugged short, light and powerful medium distance rifle .....  

IMG_20161010_143050863.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 10/10/16 at 14:23:51

Heat cured both the loctite on the barrel clamp mount and heat cured the silicon adhesive inside the front end with the same steady application of hot air gun air until the barrel got quite warm.

When I had let it all cool down to room temperature, I found that all liquid loctite was now solid and the RTV inside the front end was completely hard cured.  

So I unwound the rope, oiled & steel wooled the wooden front end to remove the mild rope marks in the varnish and then I bore sighted the new "lowered" red dot installation.   It was so close it only took 8 clicks on the vertical (recovering from the too tall installation I suspect) and I was all done.

Gun points and finds the dot very naturally now and because it is so short and light it will be a very handy cast bullet carry gun in the woods.  

I have ordered a carry sling for it, the sling will be here in a few days .....

« Last Edit: 10/10/16 at 15:28:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20161010_171725962.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 10/13/16 at 14:24:01

Slings came in, they are black and padded and they do all the things a sling should do for only $5.95 each from Amazon (free shipping).  

I sew my slings on now so they can't slip or do strange things in use, having had an old leather sling slip a bit on me due to getting wet and spoiling one particular deer opportunity when I pulled up on it with my elbow and it slipped.

I now like them modern waterproof nylon slings just fine, and I double the strapping over and sew it on firmly so it CAN'T slip for good measure.

IMG_20161013_171640106.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/13/16 at 15:50:47

Wink

And let's not forget the 8x57 Mauser, it needed a sling too.

IMG_20161013_184737201.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 10/14/16 at 07:59:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/05/16 at 11:21:14:

Art, these sights are only good for about 150 200 yards on a deer or pig sized target because there is no magnification involved.

North Carolina has woods everywhere the deer and pigs are, so you can't see more than 100 yards anyway.

Folks will be shooting the guns since I will be bringing them to future scoot and shoot events, so you can get some other opinions from the other people before jumping in yourself.

150-200 yards? hunting? in Texas?
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
hell freezes over more often

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 10/14/16 at 20:42:08

Yeah, in NC you are lucky to see something 60-80 yards away and you need a sighting system that is licky-split fast to get a shot off before it walks out of view.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:29:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old eyes, pistol and rifle sights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.