Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I need a Carburetor Kit. Are there Bad Ones? (Read 110 times)
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I need a Carburetor Kit. Are there Bad Ones?
09/24/16 at 05:47:23

After getting some great tips and help with what turned out to be a leaky float valve, I've managed to forget to close the petcock on my ratbike a couple of times. Even after cleaning up the float valve some, it must still be sticking. So, before I change the oil AGAIN, I thought I'd order a carb kit. Now I find myself wondering if I'm going to get into more trouble by ordering something of poor quality.

So, is there a preferred manufacturer/supplier of carburetor bits? I see mention of 'performance' pieces. Does it matter? If I get a $30 kit off ebay should I expect trouble?

Thanks!

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: I need a Carburetor Kit. Are there Bad Ones?
Reply #1 - 09/24/16 at 12:25:46

LANCER has a kit that includes pilot and main jets, replacement float bowl gasket and needle spacer washers.

If your bike is properly jetted, you really don't need a kit. Simply disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning. Any parts that are found to be worn one questionable should be replaced.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/24/16 at 13:32:44

Main thing in a carb kit is the float valve and seat... If you're just cleaning... no kit needed.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/24/16 at 13:48:08

If you haven't rejetted yet, lancer's jet kit comes with a float bowl gasket. That's really the only part I could justify replacing, and only because it's more likely to get damaged during r&r. Nothing else needs to be replaced unless it's clearly broken (ripped diaphragms etc.).

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/24/16 at 16:28:46

I just noticed,... Undecided  "tinkleFury"...

That's great!...  Grin Grin Grin

You do realize I'll never be able to take you seriously again?... Huh
Nobody does me, either... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/25/16 at 12:10:15

OMG! Don't buy anything from Lancer.  What if I need a good quality part, shipped quick and you buy the last one?  Well, What then huh? Grin

IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/25/16 at 19:06:32

Ok, I suppose I'm using the term 'kit' improperly. Guess I just need the float valve and seat. Could stand to do the gasket too. So, my question, are the ebay one's garbage? (example). If the consensus is 'GET ONE FROM LANCER!' then I'll certainly bug him!

While I'm not positive my carb is jetted properly, I haven't gotten into anything I'd call a performance issue (though I'm easy to please). I live at ~300 ft ASL and do get the BLIP!... BLAP!.... POOP!.... sounds when decelerating.

They bothered me at first, but after reading that they're normal, I kinda like them!

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 09/26/16 at 08:11:11

Crackles and pops are fine, it is the BANG ... like in a shotgun blast, that is not good.
Proper jetting and tuning can eliminate the BANG.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/26/16 at 08:22:24

tinkleFury wrote on 09/25/16 at 19:06:32:
I haven't gotten into anything I'd call a performance issue (though I'm easy to please). I live at ~300 ft ASL and do get the BLIP!... BLAP!.... POOP!.... sounds when decelerating.

They bothered me at first, but after reading that they're normal, I kinda like them!

It all can be controlled with your throttle hand.  When you allow the throttle to close completely when decelerating - the fuel mixture goes very lean.  If you hold the throttle open just a tiny bit - you can cut way down on the noise.  (It is all part of learning to ride a big single with a carb).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/26/16 at 09:56:52

A leak in the exhaust will cause noise. Check the header to head connection, cold, and don't get stout with it. Snug it up. It's better for it to loosen up in a few months than twist off .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:37:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need a Carburetor Kit. Are there Bad Ones?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.