Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
She got it running, it stopped, and leaked gas (Read 232 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
She got it running, it stopped, and leaked gas
09/19/16 at 19:07:06

Ok, need ideas, i'm in three or four places now... truck isn't running right (fuel pump) so i'm dismantling it.
Working 10 hours a day, my drive is 1 3/4 hour drive in the morning, and 2.5 back in the evening (traffic)
I go to bed about now, 9pm and get up at 3am.....

Wife hopped on her ls650 (2001), I have a manual gas switch (yup right one) she got it running and it died. She check to see if it was on... it was, she turned it off and back just to see if it was right, it was, when she turned it back into the "on" position and turned the bike over, it started pissing gas out under the left panel by the battery... she stopped turning it over and shut off the gas and rolled it back in the garage.
Any ideas? I'll get at it this weekend hopefully, I really need to fix the truck first, and i'll have to lift my bed to get to the tank... can't drop the tank, my body won't let me position myself that way. Angry

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: She got it running, it stopped, and leaked gas
Reply #1 - 09/19/16 at 19:12:32

stuck float.

take a screwdriver handle and tap the bowl.
you must have the vent lines hanging down.
normally they're tucked up into the frame.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/19/16 at 19:31:04

Put a filter on the truck.
You MIGHT get a bit longer outta the pump. When I did the 87Ford the gas that dumped out of the filter was full of rubber.
Most of the pumps are not warrantied if you don't do the filter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 09/20/16 at 19:25:32

verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/16 at 19:12:32:
stuck float.

Yep, that's why you have to turn them off.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 09/20/16 at 20:50:19

Kris01 wrote on 09/20/16 at 19:25:32:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/16 at 19:12:32:
stuck float.

Yep, that's why you have to turn them off.

Not if you have the stock vacuum petcock. Finally...a point for me Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 09/22/16 at 16:22:53

Thanks for the answers I'll run out into the garage and look at it

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 09/25/16 at 16:05:27

Tapping did not work, I will have to do it next weekend.

Got the bed put back on the truck, everything works, ordered new rail caps. I still have to do a little touch up paint spots and clean off the underside of the bed liner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/25/16 at 16:38:00

Ospho, or whatever they are calling it now, dilute phosphoric acid, turns iron oxide into iron phosphate. One layer only, chunks of rust have to be chiseled out, the gel sux, liquid only.

Your float might have taken a hit. Have you been playing
Battleship?
Shut off the fuel, drain the bowl.
Anything chunky?
If something is stuck in the needle/seat valve, it's gonna flood.
Gotta drop the bowl anyway.
Just be sure to catch whatever falls out from where the needle is.
Touch it. Soft? Hard?
Ring around it where it lands?
Any indentations from landing on crud?

Year model?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 09/26/16 at 16:19:01

Not really sure... she doesn't ride it much, I was riding it once every couple of weeks just to keep it happy.

She always shuts off the gas, I'm thinking it is just perhaps some bad gas.  We mostly use the local tom thumbs and she could have visited on a tanker day.

I'll loosen it up, turn it sideways and remove the bowl on saturday.
Thanks for the info., I still say it doesn't need a filter after the tank... the screen on the raptor is good enough to stop anything but a micro particle, but that is another discussion Smiley Redundancy sometimes it the best...
It probably has the same needle from new, so it is about time to replace it.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 10/16/16 at 11:20:52

Vent tubes were facing down good call. I never even looked when last I worked on the shims.
I pulled the bowl and no big amounts of sediment.
The float needle was acting normal when I flicked it up and down, but I shot it with carb cleaner any way.
I put it all back together after a god spray down of cleaner and I am waiting for the battery to charge.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 10/16/16 at 11:28:52

It is a 2001 with 10k, I have made all the normal adjustments, shims, raptor, speedo fix, ext......

I am hoping that the carb spray out and proper tube routing has solved the issue.

Her battery might be weak and did not have enough juice to start it, thus the massive amount of gas out pour. ( At least that is my guess)

Still don't know why it died after about 30 seconds tho.....

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 10/16/16 at 12:07:26

Be careful flooding the carb parts with carb cleaner. I know...sounds counter intuitive to not spray carb cleaner in a carb. The deal is that the carb cleaner is harsh and isn't good to sit on anything plastic or rubber for a long time, such as a rubber tipped needle or our plunger. When I clean any carb parts with carb cleaner, whether or not it had rubber or plastic (since you can't always see everything), I always come behind it with a nice dose of WD40. So far, it has always served me well.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/16/16 at 12:11:11

Another possible cause for carb overflow is a pinhole in the float, causing it to sink in the floatbowl. (I've never taken mine apart, but from pics I've seen here, the Savage carb float is soldered brass, right?)

Had that happen on my '73 Super Beetle & it filled one cylinder with raw gas.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 10/16/16 at 13:03:59

Ok, after removal of the float bowl and cleaner spray, put it all back together and still have the issue.
Found out that if I pull the choke to 1st notch it will stay running.
So I pulled the top off, cleaned the piston and needle assy.
The diaphragm looks good, no holes, made sure everything was back in place correctly (slot on diaphragm).
Started, ran with choke (enrichment) knob pulled to first notch... I could even twist the throttle a little and get the rpm up, but only just a little, if I twisted fast and hard it would die....
If I pushed the throttle back in and babied the twist (very small slow twists) I could make it accelerate, but just barely.
If the choke was out, I would get a lot more throttle travel and acceleration, but only to a point and it would die out again.

So, is it a clogged jet? or passage?
Guess I will be tearing her carb apart and finding the issue.

Give me some guidance here...

I did turn her fuel mixture screw in all the way, and like mine, it didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference... (hers actually idled down a little but did not die)

I still cannot figure how crap (sediment) can get past the micro filters on the raptor.... I have never seen the need for an inline filter....

Oh and who is it that says you can loosen the clamps on the carb inlet and exhaust and "twist the carb sideways" ????
The frame on mine and her's will not allow that....

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #14 - 10/16/16 at 14:47:57

Rider,

Have you disassembled the Transient Enrichment Valve and cleaned it? When cleaning the rubber part use only hot soapy water.

Also, the is a little air passage that must be cleaned, I use the little air tanks for cleaning computers to clean the orifice.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:24:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › She got it running, it stopped, and leaked gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.