09/17/16 at 12:55:38

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: $15 per hour
Reply #1 - 09/17/16 at 15:24:32

Why people can't see what happens when someone tells an employer what they must pay is beyond me.
There won't BE any school kids sacking groceries.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/18/16 at 04:22:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/16 at 15:24:32:
Why people can't see what happens when someone tells an employer what they must pay is beyond me.
There won't BE any school kids sacking groceries.

I agree Jog, we had another story in our ultra liberal local paper crying about the need to enact $15 an hour a couple days after story about higher healthcare cost causing employers to cut hours and finally jobs altogether.

This morning there was a story about the 5 year anniversary of Occupy Wall Street and how it's legacy is this $15 min wage.

So yes, you're right, some people really are that blind: raise min wage beyond small price increases consumers will accept and workers will lose hours worked or their job entirely. Pretty simple.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/19/16 at 19:11:42

All employers should be forced to have some kind of profit sharing built into their wage/salary structure.

wages are a lie

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/19/16 at 19:19:09

Employer

Someone who has had an idea.
Invested HIS time and Money
Risking bankruptcy.
And you think he's just swimming in Money?
The small business owner goes broke like marriages fail.
You open up a business, then decide what EVERY employer should do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/19/16 at 19:42:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/16 at 19:19:09:
Employer

Someone who has had an idea.
Invested HIS time and Money
Risking bankruptcy.
And you think he's just swimming in Money?
The small business owner goes broke like marriages fail.
You open up a business, then decide what EVERY employer should do.

where did I EVER SAY I THINKG EMPLOYER'S ARE SWIMMING IN MONEY???  

you really do read the absolute WORST into my posts don't you??  sounds like extremist thinking to me...  

and what could be more fair to The EMPLOYER than my suggestion, wages dependent on if they make a profit, part of the reason they made that profit was the WORK their employees did. I think this would make employees more motivated to work better for their employer and it'd make the employer/employee relationship more honest, right now employees have a hell of a time negotiating with their employer, there's pretty much one move "give me a raise or I quit" which actually puts the employee in a pretty desperate scenario

there could still be all the other heirarchies and everything else that goes on with the workforce marketplace, but the wage structure would be based on REALITY, instead of a predetermined fiction of minimum wage or "free market" shenanigans.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/19/16 at 19:55:48

Okay, since you expanded on it.
Kinda like a sales clerk at the Red Wing store.
They get a paycheck, plus commission.
That's incentive. And it's not hurting the employer.
So many jobs are impossible to split out
who is doing the production and who is coasting. Profit sharing there would be hard.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/20/16 at 04:15:47

LostArtist wrote on 09/19/16 at 19:11:42:
All employers should be forced to have some kind of profit sharing built into their wage/salary structure.

wages are a lie

Forced ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/20/16 at 05:46:17

right now employees have a hell of a time negotiating with their employer, there's pretty much one move "give me a raise or I quit" which actually puts the employee in a pretty desperate scenario.

That's true in a bunch of jobs. In places where each employee actually bills the customer or does jobs that are of known value, like copier and cash register repair, where I could document earnings and bodywork, where the job had a total dollar figure and my hours on it were on my time card, I could show the boss that I was making him enough money to justify a raise. Even then,though, I was forced to threaten to quit one guy. I eventually did quit, after the third time. Yes, I got the raise, but quit anyway. I told him that if he forced me to threaten to quit to get treated right, after he finally did what I had earned, I would quit. And I still went to the shop lake trips and Christmas parties for three years, because I was friends with the guys. I stopped going because of personnel changes.
But how can an employee document meritorious and more profitable work if he's flipping burgers?

I was able to negotiate better pay, because I understand Business. Employees are generally not aware that the employer pays for their unemployment insurance and half of the social security, and the labor and delivery resultant earnings of the employees is the source of That money. Someone has to earn the money for the electric bill, phone bill, pay for the Secretary, the accountant, insurance on the building, and contents, and the boss's paycheck.
It's not a sweet, kind world. And governmental regulations and taxes are not making it easier for the employer, which means that the employees are more heavily burdened.

Step one, slash corporate income taxes, they are only Paid by the customers and employees. Without customers and employees, no corporation generates a dollar, so where are the tax dollars coming from?
We would have more jobs if we didn't cut the throats of the entrepreneurs.
How many people Would open up a small enterprise IF they weren't going to be immediately bankrupted by a government Telling them that they would Have to pay employees more than they can afford?
Why not let people decide if they want to work at a job and accept what the owner can afford to pay?
They Could contract with him and agree to accept a low wage, help him get it going, then get paid for building the business up.

People seem to think a business owner is making tons of money.
Some are, and are greedy. Some aren't, and go broke.
And some are making good money and pay their people well.
Henry Ford was the right guy to work for. My dad believed in paying his people well. Turnover is expensive and morale is good,

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/20/16 at 06:08:37

I have to agree with LA on this one.
I'm in that situation now. When my town raised its taxes I was operating my household at a loss. The guy before me got a nasty reputation for threatening to leave if he didn't get a raise. I don't want that reputation, but I feel I'm not acknowledged for my accomplishments.

I don't know what the correction is. I do know that artificially inflating wages isn't the solution.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/20/16 at 07:00:52

Hunting a job in Louisiana. Me and my buddy stopped at a place that ran barge cranes. I thought that would be cool. But, as I passed the
Help Wanted sign I noticed that it was welded on that post.

I stopped and turned around. My friend was confused, but I explained it.
If they are always hiring they are either killing, injuring, firing or people are quitting. I don't want anything to do with it.
If the guy before you was threatening to quit, and you feel like your best efforts aren't appreciated, maybe you work for a jerk, or maybe the company isn't as profitable as you think.
If your job allows you to show how much you make for the company, then you have a bargaining chip.
The sad fact of life in America today is, unless people have a real skill, they are easily replaced. A market is a market.
Labor is a commodity. I can't imagine having no skills to sell.
The kinds of people who I've seen on this forum has been a real surprise. Some very educated, talented, able people find this place.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/20/16 at 08:20:39

Paraquat wrote on 09/20/16 at 06:08:37:
I have to agree with LA on this one.
I'm in that situation now. When my town raised its taxes I was operating my household at a loss. The guy before me got a nasty reputation for threatening to leave if he didn't get a raise. I don't want that reputation, but I feel I'm not acknowledged for my accomplishments.

I don't know what the correction is. I do know that artificially inflating wages isn't the solution.

--Steve

Steve; you're a free agent. Go find someone else to work for that pays you what you're worth.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/20/16 at 09:09:50

That's part of the problem, Web. Everyone flinches when I name my price, which doesn't even meet the state average for what I'm capable of (I did the research before reaching out too far). I throw feelers out here and again, but everyone gets cold feet during price negotiations.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/20/16 at 09:11:13

What do you do?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/20/16 at 11:11:06

Head of the milling department in an aerospace manufacturing machine shop. Two AS and currently enrolled in a Bachelor's program for Mechanical Engineering with an Aerospace background and a minor in Mathematics.

Which is odd. You'd think, according to the news, that manufacturing is more competitive in Connecticut.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 08:29:50

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › $15 per hour

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.