Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Twistyturny: cars vs bikes (Read 165 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Twistyturny: cars vs bikes
09/16/16 at 01:13:21

Thinking back on my short trip Tuesday, I'm somewhat less than thrilled. This road was re-built for the 2010 winter Olympics and leads to Whistler. I turned around at Squamish after visiting a friend.
I've driven this road in cars and trucks, and at speeds 10% over legal, it's fun if not challenging. On my bike, it's only ho-hum. At 25% over it could be fun, but not if you have to deal with the RCMP.
My theory is this: road curves are designed for cars, that take up all of a lane. Bikes only use up 1/3 of a lane and you can choose whichever part of it for cornering you want, or is comfortable. The corner radius for 2 wheeled fun would scare too many cage drivers. I'm not an engineer so I may be out of my depth here.
I need to find more backbackback country roads! Cheers! Cool
ps: also, there are too many darn cyclists up here!
pps: every second bike in the mountains here is a harley, weird!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Twistyturny: cars vs bikes
Reply #1 - 09/16/16 at 05:03:42

I agree. They are designed mostly for cars. Typically when I see a posted speed recommendation in a corner, I ignore it completely. I can take curves typically 10 mph faster in my car than what the sign says AND I can do it comfortably (like I'm driving to church). The roads are setup to make life easier for idiots who can't drive. There sure are plenty of 'em!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/16/16 at 06:25:01

Kris01 wrote on 09/16/16 at 05:03:42:
The roads are setup to make life easier for idiots who can't drive. There sure are plenty of 'em!

Welcome to America...where everything is reduced to accommodate the lowest common denominator...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/16/16 at 06:37:31

A road that is curvy is curvy. If you Choose to ride the straightest line through your lane, you killed the curve.
The same narrow bike can Accentuate the curves. I can zig zag across a straight road. I can do Exactly opposite of what someone Racing would do and, rather than straightening out the curves, accentuate them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 09/16/16 at 06:51:41

Let's be honest JOG...this is the only reason you can ride that aggressively where others can't...

BMW08.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/16/16 at 06:53:07

I have often wondered about the answer to this question.  Most times it seems I can out-corner cars easily, and when following most cars they can speed up on the straights and slow down for the corners - and you just can't wait for them to turn or come to a place to pass safely.

However, I have been behind a few cars (and even trucks) that were hustling along really quickly and keeping pace really well.  I was riding on the Dragon at very brisk pace, and I had to pull over and let a Rice Rocket car go by......he and a couple of sport bikes were just flying!  When it comes to the average soccer mom in her mini van and the average big Harley rider - I think they are a pretty even match!

I do believe that with a street driven bike and a street driven car - the bike is far more nimble and can take advantage of it's narrowness to apex the curves and make them easier to take at speed.  The bike leaning over seems to be far more relaxing and enjoyable - then trying to take the same corner at speed in a car.  On the Dragon, I have noticed that cars as big as Camaro's and Mustangs....have a hard time staying in their lane on the really tight corners, and the front tires are all bent over a scrubbing like crazy - the cars are just too big to go around those corners quickly.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/16/16 at 08:44:15

Cars have 4 wide tires of traction... they generally have the advantage in cornering and usually in braking.
Bikes have acceleration exiting corners. (better power to weight ratio)

On most tracks,... cars win over bikes...
There are exceptions on some tracks that give the advantage to quicker corner exits.

...but,.. bikes are more fun per mile... Smiley

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 09/16/16 at 08:47:56

Dave wrote on 09/16/16 at 06:53:07:
I have often wondered about the answer to this question.  Most times it seems I can out-corner cars easily, and when following most cars they can speed up on the straights and slow down for the corners - and you just can't wait for them to turn or come to a place to pass safely.

Because most drivers drive to get somewere, without any skill or enjoyment. Motorcyclists are opposite: most of us do it for the fun, so we naturally gain skills in cornering, making us faster in the bends. But, the occasional skillful car driver will hose a bike through the bends. Watch some vid of the nurburgring to see how much harder  a well driven car goes through the  corners than the bikes holding them up.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/16/16 at 10:02:09

My little 83 Scamp does the 45 mph corners at 70 on the used rubber on it.  Course it may have some poly bushings, over size hub bearings, performance struts, a rear sway bar and all that. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/16/16 at 11:47:40

Looks pretty light in the rear.. do you have oversteer problems?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/16/16 at 12:51:17

I saw a video of a GP race bike vs. a GP car on a track and the car easily out cornered the bike.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/16/16 at 16:08:48

engineer wrote on 09/16/16 at 12:51:17:
I saw a video of a GP race bike vs. a GP car on a track and the car easily out cornered the bike.  

Were they both equally qualified professional pilots ?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 09/16/16 at 17:59:49

LANCER wrote on 09/16/16 at 16:08:48:
engineer wrote on 09/16/16 at 12:51:17:

Were they both equally qualified professional pilots ?

I'd presume one was a rider, the other a driver. No piloting skills needed.
Equal skills would be an obvious requisite. There'd be no use comparing valentino rossi on his GP bike with grandma in her Corolla. A quick comparo of several australian circuits shows the 4 wheel outright lap record to be significantly faster than the 2 wheel record. The fastest car up Pikes Peak is over 1 1/2 minutes quicker than the fastest bike.
Like I said before, the only reason bikes are faster on the street is because car drivers are generally useless and unskilled.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/16/16 at 19:51:23

The video I saw some years ago was a fairly serious race and it was somewhere in Europe.  There are several races on youtube that are entertaining.  One problem with a bike vs car race through corners is that passing is dangerous for the bike.  A timed course through some twisties would be the better measure.

Jenson Button vs Dani Pedrosa - F1 vs GP motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSegwn7I7c

Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNdGkCKoJk

Supercar Vs Motorbike Vs F1 Car - Top Gear Festival Sydney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygT4bGJkerk

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #14 - 09/17/16 at 00:36:22

I think my point was:  on the same twisty road as a car, at the same LEGAL speed as a car, the experience on a bike is ho-hum. As I said, I was underwhelmed/unimpressed/disappointed!
I need to find some unpatrolled roads. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:37:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Twistyturny: cars vs bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.