Old tires are bad (Read 114 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Old tires are bad
09/14/16 at 11:06:33

i just changed my 10 year old front tire and look what I just read today.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/truth-behind-caused-paul-walkers-195132892.html

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Old tires are bad
Reply #1 - 09/14/16 at 11:41:38

springman wrote on 09/14/16 at 11:06:33:
i just changed my 10 year old front tire and look what I just read today.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/truth-behind-caused-paul-walkers-195132892.html

This is an excellent article, everyone should read it.
I am glad that the tires on my bikes and cars are all new or relatively new; none more than 2-3 years old.
It brings home the reality that the rubber you ride on is the last hold on life you have when out on the road.
I have skated quite often on old tires just because they had tread left.
God had extended grace to me often ... then there was that ONE time.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/14/16 at 11:53:47

+1.  

I never really thought about tires until getting involved in this forum.  Now I pay attention. That's one reason I paid a tad more for my Ninja recently as opposed to others for sale because it had practically new (600 miles) tires that were maybe a few months old at best. Any other bike advertised at the time and I would have been paying an additional ~$300 for new mounted rubbers so it's a wash....a VERY SAFE wash.

I'll ride old rotten rubber on my lawnmower (still original tires after 13 years) and my 4 wheeler, but my motorcycles...NOPE!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/14/16 at 12:55:05

I had been putting off changing the front tire because it actually had decent tread left. But I have been riding on wet roads lately and remembered that during the sisters ride earlier this year on wet roads my front tire lost traction a couple of times. It scared the dickens out of me the first time and the second time was not much better. Yes, I did slow down my pace substantially.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/14/16 at 16:40:49

Tires put his engine down the road 200 feet.
Disinfo.

I'm just Sure he called friends telling them the FBI was following him because he was losing traction in the curves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/14/16 at 17:59:52

My aggressive biker friend won't ride on rubber more than 3 years old.

The rescue bike I bought was a 2002 with only 3,800 miles on it.  I rode on the 14 year old tires for a few hundred miles while I proved the bike was reliable.....and a rear wheel drift around a corner convinced me the tires needed to be replaced.  The bike was stored indoors and the tires look good - but the rubber had hardened and were not as sticky as they used to be.

I have an Avalanche that I drive when I need to haul something.  The tires were 12 years old, they had about 35,000 miles on them and plenty of tread....and they were downright scary when the roads were wet.  I replaced them last month, as I felt I had pushed my luck long enough.

It seems I wear the Cafe' tires out about every 3 years (6,000 miles), as I am buying pretty soft and sticky tires for it (Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax BT45).  On the other bikes I think I will most likely replace them every 5 years.  The Honda NT700  bought is a 2010 with original tires and only 3,000 miles on it.....I guess it may be time to start looking for tires (MMRanch said he was sliding it on corners when he rode it).

If you poke around while riding, only ride when it is dry, and never ask you tires to perform at their maximum when you need to take an evasive maneuver....maybe you can ride on older tires - but most magazines and retailers recommend replacement at 5 years.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 09/14/16 at 18:52:28

I have this conversation all the time. People think that because a tire is still black and round, it's ok. I give them all kinds of information and examples, and if they insist on riding on old rubber I tell them I just don't give a nuts, that I was just trying to save them from pain or death.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/14/16 at 19:06:32

My tires are@4 years old.
Under 4,000 miles. I feel the rear misbehave occasionally..
Get some FINE tires soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 09/14/16 at 20:44:06

Yesterday's ride on the curvy road was on 9 year-old tires. They look new. Thanks for the heads up! Cool

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 09/15/16 at 05:06:52

Great article. Really made me think about how much my life was worth VS. the cost of two tires.

I guess I'm in the same boat. Original tires on a four year old bike with less than 2,000 miles on them. I understand the 'stickyness' is reduced and eventually lost all together but dang.... they LOOK brand new. I guess I'll be shopping for new tires this fall.   Huh

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/15/16 at 07:36:34

Ah phooey,
Dry rot is just free sipeing and belts that come through are free snow studs.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/15/16 at 08:51:54

RaleighGuy wrote on 09/15/16 at 05:06:52:
Great article. Really made me think about how much my life was worth VS. the cost of two tires.

I guess I'm in the same boat. Original tires on a four year old bike with less than 2,000 miles on them. I understand the 'stickyness' is reduced and eventually lost all together but dang.... they LOOK brand new. I guess I'll be shopping for new tires this fall.   Huh

Well.....it depends a bit on how you ride, and where the bike was stored.  If the bike was stored in an insulated garage and not exposed to the really hot temperatures that can happen in a metal storage shed, and if you don't ride aggressively and explore the traction limits, and you seldom get caught in the rain and ride slowly in the rain when you do.....5 or 6 years most likely isn't an issue.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/15/16 at 08:57:47

I'm getting about 2 - 2.5 years riding from the rear tire on my bike so that rubber is relatively fresh all the time. That front tire I just changed was over 10 years old and had plenty of tread, looked great but was definitely loosing traction on some curves and I guess it outlasted 3 rear tires. It was time to change it. And I do not know if it is psychological or not, but the bike feels like it is riding a little better. I have not pushed it hard yet as only have about 100 miles on the tires so far.

I don't worry about tire age on my cars because I drive 15-20k miles per year so they get changed pretty regularly.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/15/16 at 09:44:55

Even motorhomes can have tire problems....and trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/15/16 at 10:13:13

I Don't ride next to eighteen wheelers. I pass them as quickly as possible. Seems pretty rare that an RV has a blowout. They are usually pampered. But, tires Are expensive and they sit more than roll, so, that could have been a tire that sat, developed a Set, was hard, and just couldn't take the pounding of going down the road..
A dashcam watching the drivers face would probably be worth seeing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:36:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old tires are bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.