Send Topic Print
First oil change. (Read 207 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First oil change.
09/13/16 at 17:08:56

My bike is nearing its 1,000 miles and will require the first oil change. Few questions.

What should I be changing besides filter and oil? Are there any gaskets that should be replaced?

Also, should I stick to OEM oil or switch to synthetic?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: First oil change.
Reply #1 - 09/13/16 at 17:41:20

You shouldn't need any of the Oil Filter O-rings...they can be re-used several times, and only need to be replaced when they start to get stiff or flattened.  The washer on the drain plug can also be re-used.

If you have been reading the Oil threads....the Shell Rotella T is the recommended conventional oil, and the Shell Rotella T-6 is the recommended synthetic oil.  I use the Rotella T....other on this forum prefer the synthetic...about $15 a gallon for the T, a bit more than $20 a gallon for the T-6.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/13/16 at 17:49:00

Be aware that there is an o ring on the oil filter. It CAN stick On the filter and you CAN throw it away. Yeah, ask me how I know. Go ahead,, do that...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/13/16 at 18:53:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/16 at 17:49:00:
Be aware that there is an o ring on the oil filter. It CAN stick On the filter and you CAN throw it away. Yeah, ask me how I know. Go ahead,, do that...

Meaning you CAN on ACCIDENT, but DON'T because you need it.

Also, make sure you put the filter in correctly. Get it backwards and you can ruin an engine very quickly.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/13/16 at 19:08:50

In other words, don't just Yank the old filter out.
Look at it.

Yes, it CAN be installed bakkerds.
Yes, we have seen it done, twice by
Perfeshunall mechanics.

Engines are usually ruined.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 09/13/16 at 19:26:12

Since this is still a somewhat new engine that may still be "breaking in", stay away from the synthetic T6. It has less ZDDP than dino Rotella. A new engine needs more ZDDP than one that has run for many thousands of miles. Your best bet is a bottle of Redline ZDDP additive (buy it online). Use 1 oz. to a gallon of Rotella.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Danero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sydney Australia
Reply #6 - 09/14/16 at 02:07:22

I thought a new engine would need less ZDDP and mineral oil to aid in running in.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 09/14/16 at 04:02:50

At the first change don't forget (like I did) to rock the bike to both sides to get all the bad oil out that sits in little pockets. Not that big a deal but you may as well.

Also, this may sound kinda silly but it took me ages to locate the drain bolt, it just looks like an engine casing bolt. It's on the left side of the bike and I couldn't figure out how to get to it properly from the left side, I eventually worked out that I need to reach it coming from the right side.

One other thing because it comes out sideways  you may be a bit surpised that it shoots out a fair way so leave plenty of oil pan sticking out the side or the first bit of oil will go right over it!

Maybe I'm the only person who ever had these problems.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/14/16 at 04:11:32

eau de sauvage wrote on 09/14/16 at 04:02:50:
At the first change don't forget (like I did) to rock the bike to both sides to get all the bad oil out that sits in little pockets. Not that big a deal but you may as well.

I don't rock the engine back/forth....it is better to keep all the oil in the little well under the cam lobes - so that the cam lobes can dip into the oil when you start the bike.  If you rock the bike back/forth you can slosh some of the oil out of the well.....that is not good.

If you want to slowly stand the bike upright off the sidestand....that won't hurt anything.

And the need for an extra shot of ZDDP is most critical at the first start up and a few hours of running - at 1,000 miles the wear/break-in slows down a lot.....however a lot of folks claim that engines/transmissions are still breaking in for many thousands of miles.

« Last Edit: 09/14/16 at 08:01:46 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/14/16 at 08:44:43

Don't start it on the sidestand,  stand it up, get the cam lobes hitting the oil in the bathtub,,
Idling on the sidestand is death,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/14/16 at 09:16:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/14/16 at 08:44:43:
Don't start it on the sidestand,  stand it up, get the cam lobes hitting the oil in the bathtub,,
Idling on the sidestand is death,

While in the most part I agree, no need to get Draconian.
It's ok for a minute or two.
Oil will coat various surfaces and remain for a bit.
Have you ever tried to get all the oil out of an oil pan w/out wiping it?
This is what ZDDP is for... it attaches to a lonely geeky iron bit only to be F'd by the 1st wandering bad boy iron bit it can find and disappear.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/14/16 at 10:15:52

I , after seeing Dave's pictures, may let it over on the stand, but only after it's running. I want the lobe freshly wetted with oil, not after a day of oil ooozing downhill.
Yes, I've wiped at oil, and it's on there pretty good,,
I even agree, but I have seen the consequences of the failure and I'm just uncomfortable with it. I'll be more gentle in the future.

IP Logged
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/30/16 at 10:37:56

The manual says to replace oil at 600, so do I wait till 1000 as I've seen mention on the forum? and which oil should I replace with, Rotella synthetic/non-synthtic/Redline 10W40? I live in NYC so temp fluctuate between teens/below zero at times, and over 100 on really hot days.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/30/16 at 11:08:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/16 at 19:08:50:
In other words, don't just Yank the old filter out.
Look at it.

Yes, it CAN be installed bakkerds.
Yes, we have seen it done, twice by
Perfeshunall mechanics.

Engines are usually ruined.

+1 If you're unsure, take a cell phone photo before you remove it!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/30/16 at 11:09:43

I am a bit weird about a new engine.....I change the oil at 400 miles - then at 1,000.....then I change it at normal intervals.  I feel lot better when I do that - even though it is most likely not necessary.  A gallon of Rotella is only $ 15 - so that 400 mile change costs less than $ 8. (I don't change the filter at 400 miles).

The chart from the owners manual shows that the Rotella 15W-40 works for any temperature I am going to ride it - that is all I use in my bike.  Others spend a bit more and buy the Synthetic Rotella T-6, and it works also.

Oil_Chart_002.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 07:38:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First oil change.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.