Send Topic Print
Hot or cold? (Read 196 times)
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot or cold?
09/11/16 at 13:56:26

Does a black engine run hotter than say an aluminium lacquered engine, or does it just feel as though it's hotter, due to better radiated heat? Discuss. Undecided

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Hot or cold?
Reply #1 - 09/11/16 at 14:09:14

One of the misconceptions is that black is hotter. People wear dark clothes in the winter and light ones in the summer because the lighter colors do a worse job of absorbing the sunlight and outside heat. Black does a better job of transferring heat.
So, theoretically, a black engine should run cooler than a silver one, all else being equal. Running motors will always be hotter than the outside air, so black should transfer heat better and run cooler.
Having said that, a lot depends on the type of paint or coating, and how well it was applied.
Honda did a lot of work on the heat transfer characteristics of their silver engine paints when all their street bikes were air-cooled. In the old days, in general, the Japanese aluminum cases were painted and the American and European ones were left as cast.
I always thought that was because of the lower quality of the aluminum that the Japanese used.
It would be hard to beat the heat transfer of raw aluminum with your average rattle-can paint job. Having said that, there are a lot of outfits that specialize in high heat and high heat transfer coatings. Most high performance motors use at least some coatings inside.
Short answer-if you want better heat transfer (better cooling), count on stripping and blasting the castings and doing a thorough job with an appropriate black coating.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/11/16 at 14:25:45

I read a hotrod magazine that claimed a transmission ran 10 degrees cooler with the pan painted black..

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 09/11/16 at 14:29:11

I believe it, but as I said, a lot has to do with what kind of paint/coating and how it was applied.
Years ago Circle Track Magazine did a test of all sorts of internal engine coatings and got some impressive results. But, all that stuff was put on professionally.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/11/16 at 15:01:03

Armen wrote on 09/11/16 at 14:09:14:
One of the misconceptions is that black is hotter. People wear dark clothes in the winter and light ones in the summer because the lighter colors do a worse job of absorbing the sunlight and outside heat. Black does a better job of transferring heat.
So, theoretically, a black engine should run cooler than a silver one, all else being equal. Running motors will always be hotter than the outside air, so black should transfer heat better and run cooler.
Having said that, a lot depends on the type of paint or coating, and how well it was applied.
Honda did a lot of work on the heat transfer characteristics of their silver engine paints when all their street bikes were air-cooled. In the old days, in general, the Japanese aluminum cases were painted and the American and European ones were left as cast.
I always thought that was because of the lower quality of the aluminum that the Japanese used.
It would be hard to beat the heat transfer of raw aluminum with your average rattle-can paint job. Having said that, there are a lot of outfits that specialize in high heat and high heat transfer coatings. Most high performance motors use at least some coatings inside.
Short answer-if you want better heat transfer (better cooling), count on stripping and blasting the castings and doing a thorough job with an appropriate black coating.

OMG terminology.
In general, lighter colors do a better job of reflecting all wavelengths of visible light.  Black does a better job of irradiating heat.

Having said that, a lot depends on the type of paint or coating, you can have one type of white paint that's better then another type black paint.  Do your research before selecting a paint or coating they can vary a lot.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/11/16 at 15:01:10

And...the wrong kind of paint can also make things hotter (even black) - if they are not good at transferring heat and are applied too thick.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 09/11/16 at 20:00:33

I read an article in an airplane magazine published around '75 or so that dealt with this. The writers had the opinion that certain colors were better than others.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 09/11/16 at 20:30:34

Personal experience:

I operated an aircraft that had dark blue wings. It was necessary to operate the electric fuel pumps in hot weather - summer in the south US-
because the fuel got too hot  This was not a problem except that the fuel pumps were not rated for continuous operation. I replaced a lot of electric fuel pumps that should have lasted  many more hours. I was told by the manufacturer that had the wings been painted white the problem would have been much less or non existent. :'(

Don't know if this is relevant.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/13/16 at 12:05:55

Interesting! The reason I posted this is pretty obvious. My engine was a mess, so I had it blasted and gave it a single brush coat of satin black heat resistance paint. It looks good to me and went on really well. But now when I'm riding, and especially at traffic lights etc, the heat coming off the engine is so bad I have to stick my leg out ( exhaust side ) to keep away from the engine. My initial thoughts were that the engine was running hot, but then thought it must be running cooler if that much heat is being radiated away. I hope I'm right. Undecided

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/13/16 at 12:23:37

Well your thinking most likely is correct....if you are feeling the heat it is not being held in the engine.

Did you change something else....like the muffler or jetting or the air cleaner that may have also contributed to the way the engine may be running?  Or did you change your route that requires you to spend more time in traffic?  Have you cranked your idle speed up?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/13/16 at 12:49:35

Not to discount your 'feelings' but you might get a cheap I/R temperature gauge and compare several points on your engine against others.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/13/16 at 14:11:37

I use one of these to monitor oil temp at the front pressure port.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1361141824

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 09/13/16 at 16:58:56

This is  VERY interesting.

I Always held to the credo, (as verslagen1 said: In general, lighter colors do a better job of reflecting all wavelengths of visible light.  Black does a better job of irradiating heat.)

Then, Dave said: “ the wrong kind of paint can also make things hotter (even black) - if they are not good at transferring heat and are applied too thick.”  

Sooo with that in mind,  (Not Thinking M.C.’s),  Would a ’Thick’ Layer, of paint, provide a better, ‘holding’, of the heat?
What kind of paint.   (Need to be stable at 750-800 f)

Use, two, ‘cans’,   (Old Freon cans), cut off two, one a 1/4” smaller in dia that the other. Coat the outside of the smaller one, and the inside of the larger one, with, a ‘heat’ resistance, (2,000 f), ’goo’, (or stove.pipe packing), which is water biased,  For melting 50-70 lbs of old wheel weights, on a 175,000 BTU LP burner.    It Works, BUT, it takes at least 10 cycles,  of heat, to ‘Just’ about 300f, then the goo in-between, boils, and I have to cool down.   Want to make them, so they work. with out having to, wait, 6 months, for it to dry naturally,  or waste gas and time, to, speed up, the process. (it may be 1/4 - 1/2” thick at spots.)

I make a ‘pot’ up, (with, Frankenstein ’ bolts), then they disappear. Then later, someone tells me, “Oh They Borrowed it”,  and I never get it back.   Thinking, the, ‘wrong’ kind of paint, liberally applied, then a piece of, ‘(Heat resilience), rope, around the top, ‘may’ do a better job ?   And faster ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 09/13/16 at 17:38:29

Hey Verslagen,
Can you post a pic of where you put the oil temp sender? I'm prob going to put a temp sender on mine.
thanks,
-Armen

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/13/16 at 17:48:17

When I had the Trailtech Vapor...I put the temperature sensor on the left rear head stud, just under the nut.

I would get about 240 degrees on cool days of 60 mph riding.  On really hot days where temps were over 90 degrees, the temperature would get up to 280......and on a couple of 95 degree days and 70 mph speeds it reached 300 degrees.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:30:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot or cold?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.