Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching from a V Strom to a Savage (Read 96 times)
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Switching from a V Strom to a Savage
09/10/16 at 17:49:34

Hey folks, got a line on a Savage with 2250 miles for $1500. I ride a 08 V Strom but had a couple of knee replacements this summer and being only 5'8" ish, I'm thinking of giving the little Thumper a go this fall. V Strom seat is 30 1/2" after lowering links.
The bike needs a battery and oil change.....I'm guessing that I want to show up with a battery and test drive with old oil in it. That ok?
Think I'll like it? I had a virago 250 that I geared up 4 years ago that was a fun ride.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Switching from a V Strom to a Savage
Reply #1 - 09/10/16 at 18:02:31

At your height, the Savage is a great choice but it's gonna be vastly different from the VStrom!  Is it the VStrom or the "Wee Strom"?
Might want to be careful starting if it has sat for a long time; it may need some oil poured in the valve cover to coat the cylinder.  There's actually a very current thread on this right now.  But if you get to test ride it, that's always key.  You'll learn a lot here and be able to keep this bike in top shape with the help of these guys.  I sometime provide help but don't claim to be near the expert of some of the members here.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/10/16 at 18:20:25

If all it is supposed to need is a battery and some oil then it is perfectly fine for you to provide them for a test ride.
If the seller is honest at all, he should be happy for you to do that.

IP Logged
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/11/16 at 02:17:42

How are these bikes for short interstate trips of, say, 15 miles? The speed limit in Maine is 70, thus the bike's gotta plug along at 75 for a bit. That ok stock?
On the V Strom, 80 speedo mph = 75 actual mph, Savage the same?
Geared up with 17/40 sprockets, the little, ancient (1998), old, 21,000 miles, Virago 250  held actual 75 quite well!
Wee Strom is revving a lot at that speed but doesn't mind.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 09/11/16 at 05:34:22

You'll survive but they vibrate a good bit.  I've done my 25+ mile commute on the highway a few times and it was okay.

I went to an 18" wheel and that made a significant difference (7%-8% taller) but I still prefer to ride back roads if I can.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/11/16 at 08:08:06

In stock form....my little 250 Ninja is better at 75 mph than the Savage is.  The big single makes low end torque and isn't horribly fond of running at high rpm....the little 250 twin is much better at spinning along on the interstate.

If you want to run 75mph and don't live in a hilly area - a larger diameter rear tire and a Kawasaki pulley conversion help a lot.  The stock engine can only really handle the front pulley change.....adding the rear pulley will gear the stock engine too high.

The speedometer accuracy varies.  Some folks say theirs is optimistic and reads closer with a larger 140/90-15 tire - my speedo was accurate with the stock 140/80-15 tire (speedo matched GPS).

You will learn that the Savage is lighter and easier to horse around than the V-Strom - but you will also find out the limited rear suspension travel is easily bottomed out on a big bump.  Longer rear shocks with more than the stock 1.5 inches of travel helps considerably.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/11/16 at 08:32:45

Comfort at speed is much improved by a windshield. And I had an 05, with drag bars and one piece seat. No shield. Ran 1,000 miles+ a month for over a year. Did a 80 mile round trip once a week. It got over being fun pretty quickly.
The 02 with buckhorns and two piece seat is Ever so much more comfortable. The shield makes sitting up at 75 easy.
Hwy.69 is 75MPH for a long way. It handed it nicely.
Having an environment that requires you to focus on things Other than your body and what the ride Feels like is helpful.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 06:44:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Switching from a V Strom to a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.