What's a good price? (Read 109 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
What's a good price?
09/08/16 at 19:07:40

What's a good price for a regularly ridden but roughed up, older model KLR 250?

Thinkin' of getting something else to ride just in case the Savage keeps giving me trouble. Also want to try a dual sport.  Wink

I remember the little dual sport bikes (DR200???) at the training range were pretty good fun. Easy to maneuver at those low speeds. Didn't get to ride it much since I picked a stinky little TU250X. Not to say it was bad... Good bike... Fuel injection...stout brakes... Even pulled a stoppie.  Shocked It just didn't fit me well. Kept making my wrist hurt. Tongue

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What's a good price?
Reply #1 - 09/08/16 at 19:39:21

Look it up.
Find a forum.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/09/16 at 04:13:46

cheapnewb24 wrote on 09/08/16 at 19:07:40:
roughed up, older model KLR 250?

Haven't you learned anything yet?  You don't yet have the ability to repair broken or worn out things, and you would be better off with a motorcycle that isn't roughed up (if you actually want something you can ride on a regular basis).

And......if you do get a reliable motorcycle in good condition - just ride the darn thing and keep it maintained - don't instantly try to improve it with a quick turn throttle, kevlar clutch, lightened flywheel, solid rear struts, gear oil in the forks - or all the other things you got distracted with.

« Last Edit: 09/09/16 at 05:14:19 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/09/16 at 05:22:37

My response when you said you were gonna get another bike was

Get something that has a warranty.

Dave completes the message.

Buy something that doesn't need work, do Basic Maintenance,
Don't
Make it better.
Don't
Correct the engineers mistakes.
Just ride it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 09/09/16 at 06:11:04

You think I should ask my parents for several thousand dollars for a nice bike that I'll just wreck or blow up? I'm being modest, and I don't want that kind of responsibility on my shoulders.

Remember, I hardly make enough money at my job to even call it a job. Undecided

How about I go to the stealership and grab a fancy schmancy new one for $5k? That niceness and reliability and warranty come at a price.

It seems that the klr 250 is one of the cheapest and least desired of all the small/midsize dual sports. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Street-worthy dual sports are not exactly common as water around here. Roll Eyes I would have to travel over 100 miles just to get this one. Interesting since this is a rural area. :facepalm:

For all the dirt bikes there are for sale... Makes me think if I were a bike company, I'd only make street-legal bikes... that way no one would have to live through this madness. Could be performance disadvantages, though not as many with modern fuel injection. But it's something that has come to mind .

Now I could buy a dirt bike and convert it in my state, but to pay $$$ for all the lights or scavenge for parts and stuff... and go through the process... I'm better off grabbing up something like this and go ride., especially when I have to convince my parents.

Some states won't even allow dirt bike conversions. How simple is it to make a street-legal motorcycle? A bicycle with a motor (that goes fast)? If I can get away with riding a 50cc  bicycle with a weedeater motor on the freeway (maybe???), then why are there bikes in some states that can never (easily or ever???) be street legal? And why are they immensely popular? Tradeoff? People want to have to haul their bikes everywhere on a truck? I know... don't tell me... emissions, dangerous agressive dirt tires that wear out, no signal lights to break off. You know... Users who are that desperate to get that high performance could just take a light, modern dual sport, strip it of lights, put off-road tires on it, tweak the engine for performance, and call it a dirt bike. Sheesh! Roll Eyes

For goodness sakes! Some dual sports came as dirt bikes and vice-versa. The only significant differences were probably the carburetor, gearing and lights. Throw in fuel injection, and what difference do you have then? A little programming...or less? Roll Eyes

I don't know a whole lot about the different dirt bike models.... so maybe there's some motocross only bikes out there that have advantages... Undecided But what about the KLX series? Aren't most of those dirt only with one or two factory dual sports?

Can anybody back me up here?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 09/09/16 at 06:14:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/16 at 05:22:37:
My response when you said you were gonna get another bike was

Get something that has a warranty.

Dave completes the message.

Buy something that doesn't need work, do Basic Maintenance,
Don't
Make it better.
Don't
Correct the engineers mistakes.
Just ride it.

Yep... I'm wanting something to RIDE. There's a risk where there's cheap, but, it's currently being ridden, so, can't ask for much more for the price.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 09/09/16 at 06:23:12

Okay... there are a few more parts, like speedo and kickstand or kickstart only, but c'mon, do serious dirt riders need to complain about removing this extra stuff? Heck, two strokers are constantly worrying with overhauling their engines anyway. And they don't want the trouble of taking a street legal trail bike and making it off-road only? Pfffft!

Meh, Dave's gonna act like I'm stupid for even suggesting it. Roll Eyes If it ain't him, it'll be someone else.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/09/16 at 10:06:34

cheapnewb24 wrote on 09/09/16 at 06:23:12:
Meh, Dave's gonna act like I'm stupid for even suggesting it. Roll Eyes

OK.....a dirt bike would make a horrible street bike.  The close ratio transmission and low final drive are not highway friendly, the engines are not designed to run at steady speeds and you will constantly be trying to regulate your speed, there is no wiring harness, the engine most likely doesn't have any form of charging circuit (if the bike is electric start it might have a small charging circuit).  The brake levers are not set up for the light switches, there is no speedometer, mirrors, indicator lights, the tires are not good on pavement and will wear out quickly.

If you decide to get a dirt bike and convert it.....you will once again have a project that you most likely will spend most of your time in the garage and not be riding.  And......any money you save on the purchase price will be spent on the parts you need to make the bike legal (lights, horn, turn signals, mirrors, switches, tires, etc.).

You would be far better off getting something that is already street legal (dual sport, enduro, scrambler, cruiser, etc.).

And....perhaps you need to focus your energy in finding a career and becoming self supporting!  I gave up motorcycles for 35 years while I attended college and built up my professional career - it was necessary for me to make some sacrifices to get ahead in life.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/09/16 at 10:39:29

Yep,I eliminated bikes and RC airplanes. In 05 I got the S-40.
From 85 on it was
Husband, then father, and always, as health allowed, provider.

Instead of trying to do so much with so little money, why not put that Big Boy chassis to work and make money,? A solid labor type job would help you practice staying focused. And your self image could improve. And money is never  bad.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 09/09/16 at 11:09:44

We started arguing about buying the little dual sport, and they brought up the "You can just ride Dad's bike" thing. I fixed that.  Tongue I promptly got up and told them I would take it for a ride and warned them of the consequences. Sure enough, it's sitting in the back of the truck right now.  Roll Eyes

Two bikes... One's broke. The other is... well... working on it.... Roll Eyes

That shadow probably has something wrong with the charging system. It has always had low battery issues, and by the time it sputtered out on me, the battery was dead. Seconds, maybe a minute later, it tried to turn over a bit... then dead... completely dead... dash lights dead, dead.

It ran great for awhile, then I gave it a little enrichment to see if it wanted a bigger main jet. A second or two later, it started losing power at higher throttle like it did before. Took it on the four lane and back. Started jerking as I turned off the four lane. Sputtered it down to a local auction house, and the engine died.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 09/09/16 at 11:11:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/16 at 10:39:29:
Yep,I eliminated bikes and RC airplanes. In 05 I got the S-40.
From 85 on it was
Husband, then father, and always, as health allowed, provider.

Instead of trying to do so much with so little money, why not put that Big Boy chassis to work and make money,? A solid labor type job would help you practice staying focused. And your self image could improve. And money is never  bad.

You've got a good point there Justin. I think it has crossed my mind before to make some money and have fun instead of being so miserable trying to save it.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 09/09/16 at 11:30:02

Dave wrote on 09/09/16 at 10:06:34:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 09/09/16 at 06:23:12:
Meh, Dave's gonna act like I'm stupid for even suggesting it. Roll Eyes

OK.....a dirt bike would make a horrible street bike.  The close ratio transmission and low final drive are not highway friendly, the engines are not designed to run at steady speeds and you will constantly be trying to regulate your speed, there is no wiring harness, the engine most likely doesn't have any form of charging circuit (if the bike is electric start it might have a small charging circuit).  The brake levers are not set up for the light switches, there is no speedometer, mirrors, indicator lights, the tires are not good on pavement and will wear out quickly.

If you decide to get a dirt bike and convert it.....you will once again have a project that you most likely will spend most of your time in the garage and not be riding.  And......any money you save on the purchase price will be spent on the parts you need to make the bike legal (lights, horn, turn signals, mirrors, switches, tires, etc.).

You would be far better off getting something that is already street legal (dual sport, enduro, scrambler, cruiser, etc.).

And....perhaps you need to focus your energy in finding a career and becoming self supporting!  I gave up motorcycles for 35 years while I attended college and built up my professional career - it was necessary for me to make some sacrifices to get ahead in life.

That's a long time to go without bikes. I bet getting that engineering training and internship was one hell of a sacrifice.  Undecided I've thought about engineering myself before. My favorite was mechanical, but the school I went to didn't have that type when I when I was there. By the time they had the program ready, I was a little past going for it. Stars didn't align. It's a rather intimidating program too. These days, I'm not too enthused or convinced it's worth it.  Undecided You can learn a lot of stuff without going to college these days, and all those hoops... just for a piece of paper to be called an "engineer" .... Undecided People scoff at college these days. It kinda let me down.  Undecided    ... or something... but that's another story.

College degrees get you a job and money... Yeah, right. (I don't have mine yet... just one class away Roll Eyes ). Guess where the college graduates are working these days? Same place I'm working. Then the government owns them as slaves for the rest of their lives until they pay off their crazy debt. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that.

Interesting insight on the differences between dirt and street bikes. I'm trying to get an old KLR250. It's already street legal. Seems to be a model that no one wants anymore, partly due  to kick only. I can live with that though. Hey... that's where the deals are. When no one wants it, and it's good enough for what you want (not perfect by any means), that's where you get something decent for nearly nothing.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/09/16 at 11:56:32

price depends on miles and condition... a 250lb paperweight is worth it's weight in scrap...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/09/16 at 12:12:38

CN, what kinda degree are you one class away from?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 09/09/16 at 13:05:04

Business--Entrepreneurship. Online.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:26:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › What's a good price?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.